Easy Fisherman’s Eggs
These Easy Fisherman’s Eggs are a nutritional powerhouse with protein-packed sardines, eggs, and fresh veggies. Serve them with arugula and toast for a complete breakfast or brunch!
This post is sponsored by King Oscar | Thank you for supporting the brands I trust.
Breakfast of champions.
If there’s any breakfast or brunch recipe that could be dubbed a powerhouse of nutrients and protein, you’re looking at it—Fisherman’s Eggs. This hearty blend of sardines and eggs creates a protein-packed meal that will keep you fuller for longer, all while offering you a nice dose of Omega-3 fatty acids. If you’re not a fish person, or a sardine person, this may not sound appetizing. But believe me when I say it’s a total hit. Especially the way we’ve made it here, with the addition of juicy tomatoes, red onions, mushrooms, and peppery arugula.
What are Fisherman’s Eggs?
The first time I ever heard of Fisherman’s Eggs was on some cooking show a few years ago. They described the dish as a quick, easy, and cheap meal that fisherman’s used to eat (go figure) before heading out on the boat for the day. In its most basic form, the dish is a baked helping of sardines and eggs. But people tend to add their own personal touches. In this recipe, we’ve incorporated King Oscar’s tender skinless and boneless brisling sardines in olive oil with grape tomatoes, red onions, mushrooms, and fresh parsley. All of this topped with a sunny-side up egg and peppery arugula, and you can start your day like a king.
King Oscar’s Skinless and Boneless Sardines in Olive Oil.
King Oscar’s S&B sardines in olive oil are incredibly meaty and substantial, which makes them perfect for a breakfast dish like this. These tender fillets are hand-packed, kosher-certified, and sustainably caught in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Morocco. Hard core sardine fans will tell you that eating them anyway from straight from the can is sacrilegious, but what can we say? We like to play with our food.
How to make Easy Fisherman’s Eggs.
A quick and approachable breakfast is always a win—especially when it’s something a little different and exciting. Fisherman’s Eggs are effortless, whether you’re making it for yourself or for a small crowd. The recipe is easy to multiply. It’s not a dish that does super well when reheated, so you’ll want to make sure you make what you need and no more.
Here’s the list of ingredients:
- King Oscar’s Skinless and Boneless Sardines in Olive Oil
- Grape tomatoes
- Red onion
- Garlic powder
- Fresh Parsley
- Chili flakes
- Hot Sauce
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Place the skillet in the oven, then preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Drain the sardines and place them into a mixing bowl with the tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well and make sure the sardines are broken down.
- Once the oven has reached 350º F, remove the skillet and add the sardine mixture to it, evenly distributing it over the bottom of the pan. Place the skillet in the oven and bake the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet, and crack the eggs over the sardine mixture. Place in the oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven and let the dish sit for about five minutes before serving.
- When ready, top with arugula, chili fakes, and your choice of hot sauce (we love Valentina in this house); serve with toast or eat it as is.
Here are some other great ways to use sardines:
- Lemon Pepper Pasta with Sardines
- Spicy Tostadas with Sardines
- Seafood Stuffed Peppers
- Tex Mex Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Hope you enjoy!
If you plan on making this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag us on Insta! @killing__thyme.
Easy Fisherman's Eggs
- Cast iron skillet or ramekins
- 1 can of King Oscar's Skinless & Boneless Sardines in Olive Oil, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
For serving (optional)
- Baby arugula
- Hot sauce
- Chili flakes
- Place the skillet into a cool oven, then preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Transfer the drained sardines into a mixing bowl along with the tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir the ingredients with a spoon, breaking the sardines down into flakes, until well mixed.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and transfer the sardine mixture into the skillet, covering the bottom of the pan entirely. Place the skillet back into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and crack the eggs over the sardine mixture. Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the eggs have set.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and top your Fisherman's Eggs with fresh baby arugula, your favorite hot sauce, and chili flakes. Serve immediately as is or with toast.