Quick and Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
Five basic ingredients and one hour is all you need to rock this quick and easy homemade pizza dough. Friday night pizza will easily become a weekly ritual!
You deserve a break on Friday night.
We are huge on homemade pizza in this house. It’s our Friday night ritual and, in our minds, the best way to cap off the week. With that said, a quick and easy homemade pizza dough is a must. This fuss-free recipe is easy enough to remember off the top of your head after just one or two uses—and the rising time is just an hour! So you can come home from work, throw your dough together, and be eating your very own pizza creation in no time.
How to make homemade pizza dough in an hour.
We’ve tried so many from-scratch pizza doughs in this house. When we’re using our outdoor wood oven, we tend to go a more complex route and consider hydration of the dough, etc. But on Friday night, no one cares about that. We want pizza, and we want it now. Which is why this recipe is a staple in our home.
Here’s what you need:
- All purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Granulated white sugar
- Warm water
- A bit of olive oil
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Whisk the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Attach your mixing bowl to its stand and lock it. With a dough hook, mix the ingredients on low, slowly pouring the warm water into the bowl. Let the mixer do its thing, and within a minute or two, you’ll have yourself a ball of dough.
- Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and place it into a large lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for an hour. Pro tip: letting the dough sit in a warmer area of the house, like near the oven or in the laundry room, will accelerate the rising process. Especially in the summertime when we’re all running the AC.
- Once your dough has risen, preheat the oven to 450º F. Lightly grease a pizza pan and transfer the dough to that pan. Gently work your dough towards the edges of the pan, creating either a thin or a thicker crust (this dough can do both).
- Top your pizza with your preferred toppings, and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is all melty, gorgeous, and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes before cutting into it.
A few tips!
Because every oven and pizza pan is different, you may have to play around with baking times. We’ve found that our oven bakes the tops of our pizza a lot quicker than the bottom. So we bake our pizza dough for five minutes, remove it from the oven, top it with our fixin’s, then bake it for 12-15 minutes. This works for us. Some folks like to preheat their oven with the pizza pan in it so the pan warms up, and that’s always an option too, but you have to be super careful not to burn yourself when kneading the dough onto a hot cast iron pan.
Looking for pizza inspo? We’ve got a few recommendations.
Quick and Easy Homemade Pizza Dough (One Hour Pizza Dough)
- Pizza pan
- Stand mixer + dough hook (optional)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- A bit of olive oil
- Place the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar into a large mixing bowl; whisk to combine the ingredients.
- Set and lock the mixing bowl to the mixer. Attach the dough hook and turn the mixer on low. Slowly add the warm water and let the dough mix for about a minute, or until a nice ball of dough has formed. (Note: You can knead this dough by hand on a lightly floured surface, it will just take a bit longer to form.)
- Place the dough ball in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit for an hour.