Easy Healthy Cashew Chicken Recipe
Taking less than 30 minutes to make, this easy adaptation to a healthy cashew chicken recipe is exactly what your weeknight rotation needs.
Table of Contents
About My Cashew Chicken
To crave Chinese takeout and be able to whip up a rivaling dish at home is just damn awesome. And that’s exactly what this dish does!
Aside from the 30-minute marinade, this crunchy, salty, and savory cashew chicken takes just 15 minutes to bring together.
What is Cashew Chicken?
If you’re in North America, you’ve likely seen Cashew Chicken on the menu at your local Chinese restaurant.
Cashew chicken includes stir-fried pieces of chicken tossed with cashews and veggies in a light brown garlic sauce. Sometimes it’s served in a thicker sauce made up of stock, soy sauce, and oyster sauce.
What to Serve With Cashew Chicken
- I typically serve this cashew chicken with my coconut ginger rice, but you could also use plain jasmine rice or even Ramen noodles!
- As far as veggie sides go, seared baby bok choy is amazing.
- This crisp smashed cucumber salad is also fantastic, especially on those hot summer days!
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Raw honey
- Kosher salt
- Avocado oil
- Fresh ginger
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Red bell pepper
- Lightly salted cashews
How to Make Cashew Chicken
- Whisk the soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and salt in a large bowl.
- Pop the cubed chicken into the bowl, stir, and set it aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat your oil in a wok or large skillet, then add the ginger and let it simmer. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Let it cook for about 3-4 minutes or until all sides of the chicken are lightly browned.
- Remove the chicken from the wok before it’s cooked through.
- Add the rest of the oil, then add the garlic and let it simmer. Add the mushrooms, bell peppers, and scallions, then a bit of water. Cook until the water has evaporated.
- Pop the cooked chicken back into the wok and add the rest of the soy sauce, and the cashews. Stir fry until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165º F.
- Spoon it over some rice or noodles and enjoy!
Useful Kitchen Tools
- Skillet or Wok
- Mixing Bowls
- Sharp knife
- Cutting Board
- Wooden spoon
- Microplane, flawless way to grate your ginger!
Have You Made This Recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider leaving a STAR rating & commenting below with feedback!
You can also show off your creations on Instagram by tagging @killing__thyme
More East Asian-Inspired Weeknight Faves
- Easy Soy and Sesame Beef Stir Fry with Noodles
- Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Sesame Shrimp Stir-Fry with Ramen Noodles
- Easy Homemade Ramen
Easy Healthy Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Wok or skillet
- 1 lb boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 3 TBSP low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms You can also use cremini mushrooms
- 2 TBSP avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 TBSP freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cleaned, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup lightly salted cashews, roasted *See notes
- Whisk 2 TBSP of the soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and salt in a large bowl.
- Place the cubed chicken into the bowl, stir to coat, and set aside for 20 minutes. If you're doing this step in advance and marinating the chicken for longer, cover and place the bowl in the fridge.
- Heat 1 TBSP of oil in a wok or large skillet. Add the ginger and simmer until fragrant. Add the chicken, toss to coat, and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until all sides are lightly browned. Be sure to remove the chicken from the wok before it's cooked through.
- Add the remaining oil, then add the garlic and simmer until fragrant. Then add the mushrooms, bell peppers, and scallions.
- Add 2 TBSP of water to the wok, and cook for 2 mins or until the water has evaporated. Transfer the chicken back to wok, and add the remaining soy sauce and the cashews. Stir fry for 2 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice or noodles.