Sheet Pan Turkey Sausage and Peppers
Turkey Sausage and Peppers are tossed in olive oil with various spices and veggies, then roasted on a sheet pan for a quick fuss-free weeknight dinner.
The dream: I love cooking and I can’t wait to make delicious dinners for my family one day!
The reality: Is there a way I can just, like, throw everything onto one pan and call it a dinner?
Thankfully yes, that’s a thing. It’s called a sheet pan dinner and it’s awesome. Sheet pan dinners have introduced so much ease to my evenings. They’re simple to prep, easy to cook, and a cinch to clean up after. I really don’t think anybody should have to spend their evening cleaning up the kitchen after a day of hard work. Weeknight evenings should be about putting your feet up and enjoying time with the fam. Or some quiet time. Just… not slaving over the stove and cleaning. That’s for Sunday :)
Sheet Pan Turkey Sausage With Peppers.
This Sheet Pan Turkey Sausage and Peppers recipe brings some pretty big flavors to your plate. Fresh and crisp veggies are tossed in olive oil, herbs, and tomato paste, then roasted alongside sweet Italian turkey sausage. This is to keep things light—but if pork sausage is more your jam, go for it. And if you prefer spicy sausage, that would totally work here as well.
For serving, you can eat it as is, squeeze it into a fresh hoagie, or scoop it onto some fluffy aromatic basmati rice like we did.
Away from the table…
Not too much has been going on behind the scenes here this week. We’ve been trying to take advantage of my husband’s last two weeks of paternity leave by enjoying lunch dates as a little fam at some local restaurants. If you follow me on Instagram you’ll see that yesterday, we tried a new Thai and Sushi join in town. We’re super stoked about it because when we first moved to this little Southern town it was… very white. We’re happy to see some culture.
In podcast land, the Office Ladies will launch mid-October and I can’t wait! Will you be tuning in? The Office is on repeat in this house; it’s our background noise every single day.
I hope everyone is enjoying September so far! I feel like we’re all anticipating the fall and everything it has to offer at this point :)
If you try this recipe or create your own variation, let me know in the comments! I love connecting with you. Then snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme to be featured in our newsletter.
Sheet Pan Turkey Sausage and Peppers
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper (optional)
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage You can substitute sausage for pork/spicy sausages if preferred
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 3 large bell peppers, cored and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red onion, sliced into bite-sized wedges
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Tear a piece of parchment paper big enough to cover the surface of your baking sheet. (This step is optional but leaves you with less cleanup.)
- Place all of the cut and prepped vegetables into a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, then add all of the herbs and the tomato paste. Gently toss the herbs to coat. (I toss them with my hands since it's easier to get full coverage and it's gentler.) Season with salt and pepper to taste, and toss again.
- Place all of the seasoned veggies onto the sheet pan. Create a space for the sausages.
- Place the full sausages onto the sheet pan (don't cut them).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the turkey sausage reaches an internal temperature of 165º F and is fully cooked in the center.
- When done, remove the sheet pan from the oven and let the sausages rest for about five minutes before slicing them into bite-sized chunks. This will help keep them juicy.
- After slicing the sausage, toss them around with the veggies on the sheet pan.
- Serve on a bun, with rice, or eat as is.