Food/ Lunch/ Sandwiches, Wraps + Burgers/ Vegetarian

Italian Antipasto Sandwich {Vegetarian Sandwich}

Fresh buns stacked with fresh Italian ingredients.

This Italian Antipasto Sandwich is smeared with goat cheese and piled with leafy greens, roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, and red onion. Finish it off with a thick balsamic drizzle and you’ve got the best damn vegetarian sandwich ever!

I was SO excited to host a mid-week lunch date with a few of my gal pals. Anyone that works exclusively from home will tell you that it can be incredibly isolating. Thankfully I have an expressive cat that I can talk to throughout the day ;) But a girl’s lunch was a great way to kick back and break up the monotony.

If you subscribe to my newsletter, you might have read that February is going to be much more focused on bright feelgood eats as opposed to heavy confine-you-to-the-couch winter foods. Hence this cold and colorful sandwich. It’s a riff off of Ina Garten’s Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Sandwich from her Barefoot Contessa cookbook, and it is SO satisfying.

Close up of fresh buns stacked with fresh Italian ingredients.

At the beginning of the year, I mentioned that I wanted to find more inspiration from cookbooks and less from Websites. So far I’ve been sticking to my guns and it’s been incredibly refreshing. The Internet is full of what’s new and trending which is important to be on top of. But! Thumbing through cookbooks has inspired me to look beyond trends and come up with simple personal twists on time-honored recipes.

The stacked Italian sandwich certainly isn’t a new concept, but I hope my vegetarian take on it has your tummy grumbling :)

Close up of fresh buns stacked with fresh Italian ingredients.

Italian Antipasto Sandwich {Vegetarian Sandwich}.

When I hear the words “Italian Sandwich”, I envision ciabatta bread hugging a tower of cured salty meats. In an effort to keep things light, I decided to make this sandwich meatless and layer it with other antipasto-inspired flavors; olives, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, goat cheese, and a drizzle of thick balsamic. All of this makes for a crave-worthy sandwich combo.

Italian Antipasto Sandwiches being drizzled with balsamic.

Italian Antipasto Sandwiches cut in halves and stacked.

Italian Antipasto Sandwiches.

If you want to jazz up your lunch with more sandwich ideas, check out my Healthy Curry Chicken Salad With Grapes and my Mediterranean Mackerel Protein Wrap.

Want to stay meatless? Here are some other vegetarian sandwiches to mow down…

If you try this recipe or create your own variation, let me know in the comments! I love connecting with you.

Also, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme and be featured in our newsletter.

Close up of fresh buns stacked with fresh Italian ingredients.

Italian Antipasto Sandwich {Vegetarian Sandwich}

This Italian Antipasto Sandwich is smeared with goat cheese and piled with leafy greens, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, olives, and red onion, then drizzled with balsamic.

Course Lunch
Cuisine Italian, Vegetarian
Keyword easy, Italian, lunch, Sandwich, vegetarian
Servings 3 people

• 3 fresh sub buns; can also use ciabatta, focaccia, or panini bread.
  • 4 oz plain goat cheese (brought to room temperature so it softens and is easier to spread)
  • 3 handfuls of mixed leafy greens of your choice
  • 1 12 oz jar of roasted red peppers, whole or sliced
  • 1 7.5 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts
  • A few thin slices of red onion for each sandwich I like to use the first setting on the mandolin
  • 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
  • 1/4 cup thick balsamic vinegar glaze-type is the best
  • Cracked black pepper

1. Slice your fresh bread in halves. Evenly spread the goat cheese over the bottom half of the bun or bread; top with leafy greens.

2. Drain the roasted red peppers. If they're already sliced, go ahead and distribute them evenly over each sandwich. If they're whole, tear them into bite-sized pieces and distribute them evenly over each sandwich.

3. Drain the marinated artichoke hearts. Slice them and distribute them evenly over each sandwich, followed by the thinly sliced red onions and sliced kalamata olives.

4. Drizzle each sandwich with thick balsamic vinegar, top each sandwich with it's top bun/bread, and serve.

Italian Antipasto Sandwich {Vegetarian Sandwich}

Tender Greek Turkey Burgers | Killing Thyme
    March 6, 2019 at 11:08 am […] been all about (and maybe overdoing) Mediterranean flavors lately. It shows in these antipasto sandwiches and in these stuffed pasta shells. But before taking a break from all of that good stuff, […]
    Mila
    March 3, 2019 at 6:49 pm I had a few friends over for lunch today and made these. THEY WERE AMAZING. We devoured them. You're right, we didn't miss the meat. Thanks for such an awesome recipe!

Leanne | Crumb Top Baking
    February 27, 2019 at 6:33 pm By the looks of these sandwiches, you host the best mid-week lunch dates! I usually go for a veggie sandwich, and this one has all the good toppings! But I pretty love anything with artichokes and olives!

Artichokes Recipes | The Adventure Bite
    February 27, 2019 at 4:28 pm […] This Italian Antipasto Sandwich Vegetarian Sandwich is sure to make dinner or lunch the tastiest part of your day! Get Recipe Here. […]
    marilyn @family food around the clock
    February 27, 2019 at 11:21 am Yum, this is a sandwich, it will go so well with my vegetable soup, tonight! Thanks for sharing :)

Meg
    February 27, 2019 at 1:00 am Oh my gosh, this recipe is making my mouth water! I can't wait to try making these. They will be especially good to eat on the patio when the weather is warmer!

March 2, 2019 at 10:56 am I'm dreaming of eating meals out on the patio, too! Come on, warm weather <3
    Justine
    February 26, 2019 at 10:42 am Yum! I almost drooled on my keyboard when I first spotted these beauties on Instagram. I love all the fresh, Italian flavours at play here and they're absolutely gorgeous as well. Beautiful recipe, as always!

March 2, 2019 at 10:57 am My sandwiches + your cocktails would make for one heck of a lunch date!
    Chef Sous Chef
    February 26, 2019 at 9:50 am I wish it was summer right now so I could take these on a picnic with me. Such a beautiful and hearty sandwich.

March 2, 2019 at 10:57 am I've been wanting to pack a picnic for years and yet, for some reason, I keep forgetting to go through with it. THIS SUMMER WILL BE THE SUMMER.
    Trish Bozeman
    February 26, 2019 at 9:18 am Now THIS is my kinda sandwich! Definitely has my tummy grumbling. When I first met my husband, he was convinced that you couldn't make a proper sandwich without meat. 13 years later and I think I've finally made hime a believer, but this sandwich would just tip him over the edge to a veggie sandwich lover. A must try for sure!

March 2, 2019 at 10:59 am When I was 16, I worked in a sub shop and ended up training a vegetarian. She used to eat veggie subs on her breaks and it boggled my mind. Until I made one myself. My world was forever changed. SO FRESH.
    Marisa F. Stewart
    February 25, 2019 at 3:34 pm You didn't have to say anything other than goat cheese and antipasto. Those sandwiches look so good and they are packed with so much flavor I wouldn't miss the meat. The olives? Super yummy. We've got the homemade hero buns that will work perfectly with the veggies.

March 2, 2019 at 11:00 am Yes! Honestly, I think adding meat to these would completely ruin the sandwich. Haha.
    Annissa
    February 25, 2019 at 1:59 pm The colors and flavors in this sandwich! Wow! After reading this, I'm craving olives, tomatoes and artichoke hearts. I love that you're looking to cookbooks for inspiration. We need to freshen things up on the web a bit.

March 2, 2019 at 11:01 am Looking through cookbooks has been SO refreshing. It's like looking through a whole other realm; one that is timeless and not influenced by trends.
    Traci
    February 25, 2019 at 12:48 pm This might be my fav sandwich, right here! I love the ingredient combo and I always have them on hand. And topped with balsamic glaze...yep, these don't stick around long! Thanks for another winner, Dana!

Annemarie
    February 25, 2019 at 9:18 am What a beautiful and colorful sandwich! It can be so hard to come up with bright, vegetable based meals in the winter so I love this combination of flavorful jarred veggies. This will definitely wake up my taste buds!

March 2, 2019 at 11:02 am I hear you. I long for the days I can go pick out some veggies in my garden and come up with something crisp, fresh, and seasonal. But briny pickled veggies absolutely serve their purpose and I'm oh-so-grateful for them :)
    Charity
    February 24, 2019 at 10:45 pm My husband and I just went through all of our cookbooks (thanks Marie Kondo). We donated about half of them and the other half I've been pouring through for inspiration. It is totally a different experience and I find recipes I never would have thought to look for. It's definitely healthy to unplug sometimes.

March 2, 2019 at 11:04 am That's definitely been my favorite part about going through the cookbooks—they've been sparking ideas and inspiration that recipes on the internet just haven't been!
    Tracy
    February 24, 2019 at 5:38 pm Wow - I will come over ANY time to chat with your cat give you a work at home break and HAPPILY eat these sandwiches! There are exactly the kind of sandwiches I absolutely love to eat. So bright and fresh and delicious!!

Debra
    February 24, 2019 at 3:57 pm There some great nostalgia in that sandwich right there. When I was growing up there was a liquor store that also sold sandwiches (is that weird?)...anyhow, I always ordered the veggie antipasto and it looked JUST LIKE YOURS. I can't even describe how my mouth is watering right now. YUM.

March 2, 2019 at 1:53 pm Haha, that's funny. We had a place somewhat like that that we frequented in high school. It was run by an Italian couple. They sold homemade pizza and fries at lunch, and also sold cigarettes and random convenient store tidbits. I'm glad these gems could spark some nostalgia for you :)
    Julie Menghini
    February 20, 2019 at 7:36 pm What a beautiful sandwich! I love every single ingredient and a thick balsamic drizzle would be the perfect way to top it off. I have a puppy sous chef that's always available for taste testing or floor mishaps but I think a girlfriends lunch sounds like a lot more fun. Winter refuses to give up so this bright and cheery sandwich is exactly what I need to get out of the doldrums!

February 23, 2019 at 10:04 am Thanks Julie! My cat would love to be a taste tester. She tries, she tries ;) A thick balsamic is key! I learned that the hard way by buying a balsamic vinegar one time not knowing the difference and yikes. HUGE difference.
    Gloria
    February 20, 2019 at 4:05 pm Well, sometimes all you want is a GREAT sandwich for dinner. This looks perfect. No meat necessary, and this is coming from a meat eater. I would devour this.

February 23, 2019 at 10:04 am I'm with you, Gloria! We don't always need meat :)