Mediterranean Mackerel Protein Wrap
THIS RECIPE IS SPONSORED BY KING OSCAR | OPINIONS ARE MY OWN
Friends, this wrap is everything.
I don’t know about you, but I’m sick of canned tuna. For one, most canned tuna isn’t sustainable, and though there are sustainable options available, they’re priced to deter people from buying them. Secondly, tuna gets real boring real fast. Unless you drop a generous amount of mayo into your tuna salad — which kind of defeats the purpose of eating tuna for its health benefits — the stuff can often seem dry, tasteless, and downright hard to swallow.
Instead, picture this: tender North Atlantic mackerel marinated in buttery olive oil with garlic, herbs de Provence, red bell pepper, and sliced olives. Dreamy, huh? That’s exactly what you get when you pull the foil back on King Oscar’s Royal Fillets of Mediterranean-Style Mackerel — and that’s exactly what you get in this crave-worthy wrap.
Packed with a hearty lot of protein and a fair balance of carbs, this wholesome lunch option brings King Oscar’s tender and tasty Mediterranean-Style Mackerel Fillets to your plate with crisp veggies and a cooling mint yogurt sauce which, if needed, can be swapped for hummus or tzatziki. You do you.
As if all of that wasn’t enticing enough, King Oscar is big on sustainability and the health of our oceans! Their North Atlantic mackerel is considered a lower food chain forage species and doesn’t pose the same concerns as larger predatory Spanish and King mackerel varieties. Additionally, because mackerel reproduce and mature expeditiously, the species is resilient to fishing pressures and fishing methods (mostly purse seines) resulting in lower by-catch and environmental impact.
So tuna, take a back seat! Better yet, throw yourself in the trunk…
This wrap is lunch done right.
Whether you’re brown-baggin’ it to work, in search of a convenient handheld eat n’ run option, or are in pursuit of a replenishing post-run meal, this wrap has you covered.
I’m not a competitive runner by any means; I like to run three to four 5Ks a week because it makes me feel strong, healthy, and it keeps my anxiety at bay. With that said, the 4:1 carb to protein ratio isn’t necessary in my case. (That’s for those warriors running for over 60 minutes. I bow to them — I’m not worthy!) When running for less than 60, a post-run meal should simply be focused on eating something that contains both carbs and proteins; something that will fill you up and make you feel good without weighing you down.
This wrap has been my go-to since the first day I threw it together and it. is. perfection.
But you can enjoy King Oscar’s mackerel fillets no matter how you serve’em — whether they be tossed into a crisp salad, stuffed into a sandwich, plopped onto a cracker, or curled up into a wholesome wrap.
Real talk: I’m guilty of eating some of it right out of the can.
I REGRET NOTHING.
Mackerel has marvelous health benefits, too!
Oily fish like salmon, sardines, and mackerel are fab sources of protein, Vitamin D, some B Vitamins, and selenium. They’re a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can do wonders for your skin (who doesn’t love a healthy glow?), and they’re believed to help against cardiovascular diseases. And finally, unlike tuna, you don’t have to worry about mercury content.
The highest of fives to that, I say!
Not sure if King Oscar products are available near you? Find out here!
Making this recipe? Snap a pic and tag me on Instagram: @Killing__Thyme /#killingthyme. For more delish eats, follow me on INSTAGRAM + PINTEREST.
Mediterranean Mackerel Protein Wrap
- 1 4.05 oz can of King Oscar's Mackerel Mediterranean-Style Royal Fillets
- 1 large whole grain wrap
- 1-2 TBSP Mint Yogurt Sauce (Recipe below) You can also use hummus or tzatziki!
- 1 handful of your fave greens I like to use baby spinach or swiss chard out of my garden!
- 1/4 cup julienned cucumber
- 3 TBSP diced tomatoes
- 1 TBSP chopped marinated artichokes
- 1 TBSP chopped kalamata olives (optional) King Oscar's Mediterranean-Style Mackerel has olives in the can with it, but sometimes I like to add extra.
- 1 tsp drained capers
- 2-3 rings of red onion
Mint Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 medium cloves or garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Lay the wrap out flat and slather the mint yogurt sauce not in the middle, but closer to one side, leaving a 1-inch border between the spread and the edge of the wrap.
- Lay down your greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, artichokes, chopped olives, and capers. Then, carefully transfer that tender mackerel over to the wrap and lay it over the other good stuff. (I fit as much of the mackerel as seems reasonable and just eat the rest out of the can. Seriously. SO GOOD.) Finally, top the mackerel with the red onion.
- Fold in the two sides of the tortilla, and roll up like a burrito. This may seem slightly awkward the first time, but once you do this a few times, you'll become a wrap-rollin' pro.
Mint Yogurt Sauce
- Put yogurt, mint, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and cayenne in a small bowl and whisk together until well blended. Hit it with some salt and pepper to taste. Let the mixture sit at room temp, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve, or transfer to an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to a week.