Food/ Sides, tapa-tizers + snacks/ Vegetarian

Chili + Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice

I love delicious accidents—and I love them even more when they are delicious blog-worthy accidents.

I recently fell into a healthy habit that I never thought I’d enjoy: running. As much as it feels good physically, it also feels great mentally. There’s just something about cranking my go get’em playlist (a very contrasting mix of upbeat Katy Perry and angsty Hole… ) and hitting the pavement hard, releasing all of those endorphins and anxieties.

However, when running or doing any kind of energetic exercising, it’s imperative to fuel up properly.

Since I’m new to running, I sometimes have a hard time remembering what I should be eating to fuel up and what I should be eating for muscle recovery.

Thank goodness for the Internet and all of its fitness gurus, because while searching for pre-run snacks, sweet potatoes came up. As luck would have it, I just happened to have one hanging out in my pantry and it was growing some invasive roots (oops) so… good timing.

I mean, just look.

For me, sweet potatoes have only existed in two forms: as a “healthier” side for fries at restaurants, and pan-fried in butter and brown sugar as an indulgent holiday side dish.

When it comes to eating sweet potato as a pre-run snack, frying it or buttering it up makes zero sense. That would be what we call counterproductive.

(Says the woman who runs on Taco Tuesday to specifically justify eating numerous tacos.)

In an effort to make something both nutritious and delicious, I decided to bring a tad of natural sweetness together with the warmth of chili powder, the smokiness of paprika, and the tartness of fresh lime.

And it. was. incredible.

Not only are the flavors a hit, but the feeling of nourishing your bod with something so hearty and healthful is awesome—not to mention the fact that this particular recipe feels a bit like comfort food.

Win/win!

If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations.

Want to share your own pescetarian recipes, photos, and experiences? Join our Facebook group!

Chili + Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice

Honeyed and savory roasted sweet potatoes make for a perfect side or a pre-workout snack to fuel you up.
Author Killing Thyme

• 1 sweet potato cut half lengthwise
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 TBSP liquid honey
  • 1/2 tsp of chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp sweet or smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp Harissa or cayenne optional
  • Kosher salt + cracked black pepper
  • 1 lime halved
  • Fresh chopped parsley optional

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Brush each sweet potato halve with olive oil, skin included.
  3. Season the entire sweet potato with kosher salt + cracked black pepper.
  4. Score the top halves (interior flesh) with a knife.
  5. Season each top halve with chili powder, paprika and harissa or cayenne, if using.
  6. Bake for 20 mins at 400 degrees F.
  7. Remove from oven and smear the top halves with honey.
  8. Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
  9. Once the sweet potatoes are tender, remove from oven.
  10. Squeeze fresh lime juice over both halves upon serving, and add parsley.
Chili + Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice | Killing Thyme

Chili + Honig Geröstete Süßkartoffeln mit Limettensaft - Tötung von Thymian - ... - Einfache Rezepte
    October 22, 2018 at 6:46 pm […] Chili + Honig Geröstete Süßkartoffeln mit Limettensaft – Tötung Thymian – killthyme.net / … […]
    Chili, Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime  – RE'Plenishing Health
    January 6, 2018 at 6:14 pm […] https://www.killingthyme.net/2017/01/31/chili-honey-roasted-sweet-potatoes-with-lime-juice/ […]
    12 Sweet Potato Recipes for Thanksgiving You Need to Try | Posh in Progress
    November 10, 2017 at 10:00 am […] Sweet Potatoes – Budget Bytes 11. Cilantro Lime Grilled Sweet Potatoes – Posh in Progress 12. Chili, Honey and Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes – Killing […]
    Shareba
    September 10, 2017 at 8:12 pm I love your photos! Your sweet potatoes look so tasty!
      September 14, 2017 at 8:33 pm Thanks so much, Shareba!
    Chili + Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice | ETalks Online
    July 4, 2017 at 4:12 pm […] Via killingthyme.net […]
    Stuffed Peppers and Honey Chili Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Lime Juice - Switch CrossFit
    June 28, 2017 at 10:01 am […] favorite side dish for stuffed peppers are these Chili and Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Lime Juice. They are simple and PACKED with flavor. The recipe calls to roast the sweet potatoes for 20 […]
    Tamara Perry
    June 6, 2017 at 6:39 pm Love your blog's name! Am looking forward to a cooler day to turn on the oven to make this.
      June 7, 2017 at 9:35 am Thanks so much, Tamara! Funny you mention a cooler day to turn the oven on — I've been feeling this exact same way. I recently shared this recipe which is *perfect* for days where it's too hot to cook, in case it's of interest: https://www.killingthyme.net/2017/05/28/cold-soba-noodle-salad-with-spicy-peanut-sauce/ Def keep me posted either way :)
      Jenny
      June 30, 2017 at 2:00 pm I made them on the grill!
        June 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm Love this idea! I mean, it's summer. We should be grilling ALL THE THINGS! <3
    Meredith | Earth & Oven
    May 29, 2017 at 1:17 pm Pretty in love with these chili roasted sweet potatoes. They look like such a simple but delicious snack that you could pair with anything (especially avocado).
      May 30, 2017 at 9:31 am Yesssssss these would be amazing with avocado, Meredith! Now I need to make these again and include that addition :)