I love delicious accidents, and I love them even more when they are delicious blog-worthy accidents.
I recently fell into a healthy habit that I never thought I’d enjoy: running. As much as it feels good physically, it feels amazing mentally. There’s just something about cranking my go get’em playlist—a very contrasting mix of Katy Perry and Hole—and hitting the pavement. Love releasing all of those endorphins and anxieties.
However, when running or doing any kind of exercising, it’s imperative to fuel up properly. Since I’m new to running, I sometimes have a hard time remembering what I should be eating to fuel up and what I should be eating for muscle recovery. Praise the Internet and all of its fitness gurus, because while searching for pre-run snacks, sweet potatoes came up. And I just happened to have one I’d forgotten about hanging out in my pantry—invasive roots and all. (Oops.)
For me, sweet potatoes have only existed in two forms: as a “healthier” side of fries at restaurants, or pan-fried in butter and brown sugar as an indulgent holiday side. When it comes to eating sweet potato as a pre-run snack, frying it or buttering it up makes zero sense. In an effort to make something both nutritious and delicious, I decided to bring a tad of natural sweetness together. Here we’ve got the warmth of chili powder, the smokiness of paprika, and the tartness of fresh lime.
Not only are the flavors a hit, but the feeling of nourishing your bod with something so hearty and healthful is awesome. Not to mention the fact that this particular recipe feels a bit like comfort food. Win!
If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations.
Chili + Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice
- 1 sweet potato cut half lengthwise
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 TBSP liquid honey
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Harissa or cayenne optional
- Kosher salt + cracked black pepper
- 1 lime halved
- Fresh chopped parsley optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush each sweet potato half with olive oil, skin included.
- Season the entire sweet potato with kosher salt + cracked black pepper.
- Score the top halves (interior flesh) with a knife.
- Season each top half with chili powder, paprika and harissa or cayenne, if using.
- Bake for 20 mins at 400 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and smear the top halves with honey.
- Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender, remove from oven.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over both halves upon serving, and add parsley.