Menu
Food / Sides, tapa-tizers + snacks / Vegetarian

Chili + Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice

I love delicious accidents, and I love them even more when they are delicious blog-worthy accidents.

I recently fell into a healthy habit that I never thought I’d enjoy: running. As much as it feels good physically, it feels amazing mentally. There’s just something about cranking my go get’em playlist—a very contrasting mix of Katy Perry and Hole—and hitting the pavement. Love releasing all of those endorphins and anxieties.

However, when running or doing any kind of exercising, it’s imperative to fuel up properly. Since I’m new to running, I sometimes have a hard time remembering what I should be eating to fuel up and what I should be eating for muscle recovery. Praise the Internet and all of its fitness gurus, because while searching for pre-run snacks, sweet potatoes came up. And I just happened to have one I’d forgotten about hanging out in my pantry—invasive roots and all. (Oops.)

For me, sweet potatoes have only existed in two forms: as a “healthier” side of fries at restaurants, or pan-fried in butter and brown sugar as an indulgent holiday side. When it comes to eating sweet potato as a pre-run snack, frying it or buttering it up makes zero sense.  In an effort to make something both nutritious and delicious, I decided to bring a tad of natural sweetness together. Here we’ve got the warmth of chili powder, the smokiness of paprika, and the tartness of fresh lime.

Not only are the flavors a hit, but the feeling of nourishing your bod with something so hearty and healthful is awesome. Not to mention the fact that this particular recipe feels a bit like comfort food. Win!

If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations.

Print Pin

Chili + Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice

Honeyed and savory roasted sweet potatoes make for a perfect side or a pre-workout snack to fuel you up.
Author Killing Thyme

• 1 sweet potato cut half lengthwise
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 TBSP liquid honey
  • 1/2 tsp of chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp sweet or smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp Harissa or cayenne optional
  • Kosher salt + cracked black pepper
  • 1 lime halved
  • Fresh chopped parsley optional

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  • Brush each sweet potato half with olive oil, skin included.
  • Season the entire sweet potato with kosher salt + cracked black pepper.
  • Score the top halves (interior flesh) with a knife.
  • Season each top half with chili powder, paprika and harissa or cayenne, if using.
  • Bake for 20 mins at 400 degrees F.
  • Remove from oven and smear the top halves with honey.
  • Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
  • Once the sweet potatoes are tender, remove from oven.
  • Squeeze fresh lime juice over both halves upon serving, and add parsley.
Chili + Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice | Killing Thyme

• […] Source by einfach_malene […]

• […] Get the recipe at Killing Thyme. […]

• Jane
    May 12, 2020 at 11:47 am

5 stars
    I love these so much they have become a staple in my house…with me. I prepare them four at a time and stick them in the refrigerator and even indulge with breakfast. Thanks for a totally new way to love sweet potatoes even more!

• 27 Sweet Potato Recipes – APRON
    May 10, 2020 at 3:48 am

[…] 4. Chili and Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice from Killing Thyme […]

• Sarah
    May 8, 2020 at 12:50 pm

What am I doing wrong? It’s been in the oven for 45 minutes and they are still very hard.

May 8, 2020 at 2:14 pm

Assuming you followed the directions and are baking at 400º F, I have no idea. This issue has never come up. Are your potatoes getting softer at all? You cut them in half and scored them? Any other info you can give me?

• Martin
    May 8, 2020 at 5:54 am

5 stars
    Muy Delicioso!

Was a really nice and easy recipe to follow and tasted so good.
    Saved on my pinterest recipe list. Thank you so much :D

May 8, 2020 at 11:07 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Martin! :) Thanks for the feedback!

• Jann
    April 13, 2020 at 7:02 pm

5 stars
    They were delicious! A keeper recipe.

• Vanessa
    April 13, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Thanks for sharing! Does it keep long?

April 14, 2020 at 7:07 am

Vanessa—I haven’t actually had them in the fridge for longer than a day. I’m going to say they’ll keep for up to 3-5 days, like most things. I hope you enjoy them!

• Suzanne
    April 13, 2020 at 2:55 pm

This looks so good! What a hearty & healthy side! I wouldn’t have thought of like with sweet potatoes!

April 14, 2020 at 7:07 am

Thanks, Suzanne! They’re so good. I hope you give them a try.

• Lisa
    April 12, 2020 at 7:37 pm

5 stars
    These are delicious! The smokiness of the paprika with that sweet honey! The lime juice just rounds it all out. Adding to my list of favorites, thank you for the recipe!

April 14, 2020 at 7:08 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed them, Lisa! The combo is a total win.

• Annmarie
    April 12, 2020 at 1:19 pm

Could this be used with regular potatoes

April 14, 2020 at 7:12 am

I haven’t tried this with regular potatoes. To be honest, I can’t see it being as enjoyable since regular potatoes don’t offer any sweetness to work with and they have a very plain flavor profile. Unless you change things up and use small potatoes—diced and roasted? If you try it, please let me know.

• Sladjy
    April 9, 2020 at 10:42 pm

Any way we could get nutritional facts for this recipe?
    Thank you! Looks delicious!!

April 10, 2020 at 8:27 am

Hi! I don’t provide nutritional info since I’m not a nutritionist and don’t have the tools to offer accurate details. (I’d hate to provide a calorie number and be wrong.) But apps like MyFitnessPal will help you get an idea if you punch in the recipe. I hope you enjoy it!

• Nora
    April 5, 2020 at 12:24 pm

5 stars
    Looks delish. The singular of halves is half, by the way ;)

• Jahnavi
    March 28, 2020 at 4:11 am

5 stars
    I tried this recipe and i put a little bit of feta on top. It was delicious.

April 14, 2020 at 7:16 am

I’m glad you enjoyed it and were able to add your own spin!

• […] Chili + Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes With Lime Juice […]

• Thandapani R
    January 11, 2020 at 10:20 pm

5 stars
    very nice recipe

• Mikaela
    November 6, 2019 at 8:33 pm

I’m making these with tofu! What do you recommend I season it with?

November 8, 2019 at 8:16 am

Hi Mikaela! Tofu can be tricky. I swear by frying it to a crisp. (Here’s a tutorial.) Adding garlic, chili powder, and lime to stick with the theme of the potatoes would totally work.

• Josephine Spillner
    September 26, 2019 at 9:50 pm

This was so delicious! And I DON”T like sweet potatoes; don’t eat it. But, your photos looked so appetizing and the ingredients were simple (had everything in the pantry), I had to try it. Love. Now I’ll have to peruse all your recipes. Thank you :)

September 27, 2019 at 8:05 am

Josephine! I love this! I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe. I hope you can find other things you enjoy here on the blog. Keep me posted! Would love to hear what you try :)

• Rebecca Snow
    April 27, 2019 at 11:31 am

I’m definitely going to try this recipe.I love sweet potatoes, but DH not keen on them, but I believe this recipe could sway him. One problem, I CAN HARDLY READ the recipe due to the font being so light! Could you fix this so squinting through the whole recipe isn’t necessary? Thanks!

April 27, 2019 at 12:56 pm

Hi Rebecca! Hope you enjoy the recipe! I just recently implemented a new template and design, and the recipe card is something that is still in the works. Apologies for the inconvenience. It’s not something I’m happy with either! But I’m working on it with the plug-in designer. In the meantime, if you highlight the text, it will bold it up. Hopefully I can get it fixed asap :) Renovation pains!

April 29, 2019 at 2:19 pm

Hey Rebecca! Just popping by to let you know the recipe card has been fixed :)

• […] Chili + Honig Geröstete Süßkartoffeln mit Limettensaft – Tötung Thymian – killthyme.net / … […]

• […] Sweet Potatoes – Budget Bytes 11. Cilantro Lime Grilled Sweet Potatoes – Posh in Progress 12. Chili, Honey and Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes – Killing […]

• Shareba
    September 10, 2017 at 8:12 pm

I love your photos! Your sweet potatoes look so tasty!

September 14, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Thanks so much, Shareba!

• […] Via killingthyme.net […]

• […] favorite side dish for stuffed peppers are these Chili and Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Lime Juice. They are simple and PACKED with flavor. The recipe calls to roast the sweet potatoes for 20 […]

• Tamara Perry
    June 6, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Love your blog’s name! Am looking forward to a cooler day to turn on the oven to make this.

June 7, 2017 at 9:35 am

Thanks so much, Tamara! Funny you mention a cooler day to turn the oven on — I’ve been feeling this exact same way. I recently shared this recipe which is *perfect* for days where it’s too hot to cook, in case it’s of interest: https://www.killingthyme.net/2017/05/28/cold-soba-noodle-salad-with-spicy-peanut-sauce/

Def keep me posted either way :)

• Jenny
      June 30, 2017 at 2:00 pm

I made them on the grill!

June 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Love this idea! I mean, it’s summer. We should be grilling ALL THE THINGS! <3

• Meredith | Earth & Oven
    May 29, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Pretty in love with these chili roasted sweet potatoes. They look like such a simple but delicious snack that you could pair with anything (especially avocado).

May 30, 2017 at 9:31 am

Yesssssss these would be amazing with avocado, Meredith! Now I need to make these again and include that addition :)