PLEASE REFER TO FISHWATCH FOR RELIABLE INFORMATION AND UPDATES ON SALMON + SUSTAINABILITY.
This one’s brunch-y, baby.
Brunch isn’t something I was ever really keen on until I moved here, to Raleigh, NC. Throughout most of my life, brunch meant going to a mundane family restaurant chain that offered a sad buffet with second-rate food that was lukewarm most of the time. Mmmm, tepid pancakes.
When I moved to Raleigh, brunch took on a new meaning; brunch became cool. Not only will you find the expected quaint cafes catering to the brunch crowd, but trendy restaurants too — and they take brunch seriously. By that I mean that their brunch menus go far beyond the usual waffles and eggs benny; on these menus, you’ll find things from fancified shrimp + grits to sweet potato pancakes with whipped butter + spiced pecans. And don’t even get me started on the deliciously boozy mimosas and the make-it-yourself Bloody Mary bars…
As a result, brunch in Raleigh has inspired me to be more brunch-y at home. That’s where this smokey, creamy and dreamy brekky comes in.
Smoked Salmon + Poached Eggs on Toast
Allow me to preface this by asking that you don’t chalk this up as just being another hipster “avocado on toast” please k thx.
So okay, it doesn’t look like much. It’s toast with smashed avo, coral-hued smoked salmon and a delicately poached egg that’s been hit with a splash of soy sauce. But if I may say so myself, this toast is the shit. The creaminess of the avocado paired with the smokey salmon + silky egg yoke is, quite frankly, the bomb diggity.
Craving everything smoked salmon? Try my Creamy One-Pot Pasta With Smoked Salmon and Asparagus! Or brunch on this glorious Smoked Salmon Frittata.
Some other awesome smoked salmon recipes…
- Fresh Smoked Salmon Chèvre Pizza from Garlic and Zest
- Smoked Salmon Potato Canapés from Basil and Bubbly
- Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict from Champagne Tastes
If you try this recipe or create your own variation, let me know in the comments! I love connecting with you.
Also, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme and be featured in our newsletter.
Smoked Salmon + Poached Eggs on Toast
- 2 slices of bread toasted
- 2 oz avocado smashed
- 1/4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 3.5 oz smoked salmon
- 2 eggs see notes, poached
- Splash of Kikkoman soy sauce optional
- 1 TBSP thinly sliced scallions
- Microgreens optional
- In a small bowl, smash the avocado. Add the lemon juice and a pinch of salt; mix well and set aside.
- Poach your eggs (see notes) and, when they are sitting in the ice bath, toast your bread.
- Once your bread is toasted, spread the avocado on both slices and add the smoked salmon to each slice.
- Carefully transfer the poached eggs to their respective toasts.
- Hit with a splash of Kikkoman soy sauce and some cracked pepper; garnish with scallions and microgreens.
Note: You'll want to poach your eggs individually.
Bring a small pot of water to a steady simmer. (Some people add a light splash of vinegar to the water; I've tried with and without, and I've never noticed a different, so I skip it.)
Crack your eggs into individual ramekins or small bowls.
With a spatula or large spoon, create a gentle whirlpool in the simmering water; this will help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
Gently tip the egg into the water whirlpool, white first. Cook for two minutes.
Carefully remove the egg with a slotted spoon.
Carefully transfer the egg to an ice bath for approx. 10 seconds to stop it from cooking (protein will continue to cook after it's removed from heat, so you want to ensure you get that runny silky yoke).
After a quick dunk into the ice bath, transfer your egg to a paper towel and gently pat it dry. Remove any wispy white egg with the edge of your spoon, and transfer to your plate.