Food/ Sweets + Ice Cream

Cinnamon Bourbon Ice Cream

Cinnamon Bourbon Ice Cream 3I’ve never been much of a dessert girl. I’d rather waste my calories on an extra slice of pizza, to be honest.  But ice cream holds a special place in my heart, and ever since I’ve started making my own ice cream, I can’t seem to get enough of it. Friends are always super impressed by it, too! “What? You made your own ice cream?” Yes, it’s no big deal. It’s not like I churned my own butter or aged my own cheese (cheese wouldn’t stand a chance at aging in my house anyway, because I’d eat it all while it was still new). I hate to ruin the fascination, but I’m just too much of an honest person, so here goes: if you purchase an ice cream maker, you too could make homemade ice cream! *GASP!* No, but really. If you have a toaster, you can make toast; if you have an ice cream maker, you can make ice cream. It’s too simple. It’s basically foolproof. Now, whether or not you can come up with wondrous and tantalizing flavors like I do, that’s on you. But ice cream, in all of it’s ice creaminess, is easy as pie. Scratch that actually, because making pie is way harder.

Since the very beginning of my ice cream making, I’ve sworn by Ben and Jerry’s sweet cream base. Those dudes, they know! I mean, if I’m going to admire and trust anyone in the ice cream industry, it’s going to be my bros Ben and Jerry. I think I’ve followed all of two recipes for making ice cream in my life – the rest have just been me churning my sweet and quirky ideas in a frozen bucket.

So, what inspired Cinnamon Bourbon?

The hubs and I recently had a Friendsgiving Dinner, because our group of friends is adorable like that. Our friend Mike said he’d bring pies, one of them being pumpkin. It is said that you can’t truly enjoy pumpkin pie without a big dollop of vanilla ice cream on top of it (I don’t know, I can?) so I knew I had to have ice cream to offer – but I didn’t want to make vanilla ice cream. Like, snore?! So after racking through my brain a bit, I decided that I’d make a delicious and grown-up ice cream with cinnamon and bourbon. It just seemed fitting for a fall feast! And it was a hit! My heart smiled as I overheard friends talking about how awesome the ice cream was. But was it the bourbon talking?

Pfff, nahhh!

• 2 cups of heavy cream or whipping cream
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 3/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 4 tablespoons of bourbon

1. Whisk eggs until they are fluffy and light, approx. 1-2 mins.
  2. Gradually whisk in the sugar; continue until fully blended, about 1 min.
  3. Mix in the cream and the milk; whisk to blend.
  4. Finally, add the cinnamon, vanilla, and the bourbon. Whisk until well combined.
  5. Carefully transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and prepare as per your ice cream makers instructions.
7.8.1.2

Stewart
    June 6, 2018 at 2:33 pm Any comparison to the bourbon ice cream at "The Pit" in Raleigh? My favorite ice cream ever, and I yearn for a plate of ribs with ice cream for desert every day since I moved away.
      June 6, 2018 at 4:36 pm Hey Stewart! You know, I've never had the bourbon ice cream at The Pit, but I'm totally going to have to give it a shot next time I'm there. It's been a while since we've been, so we may be due for a visit there soon. I hope I can come back to you with good news — news that you can sate your craving in the comfort of your own kitchen! (And now I want ribs ;) )
    Sarah G.
    May 14, 2018 at 2:26 pm THIS WAS SO GOOD. I used ginger infused bourbon and it was ah-mazing. I love that it's a no cook recipe too, nobody has time for that. Thanks :)
      May 14, 2018 at 4:20 pm Hey Sarah! I am SO SO happy to hear this! Using a ginger-infused bourbon was a genius move on your part. I'll have to try that sometime. And oh hey look, on that note, it's wine o'clock ;) Thanks so much for taking the time to comment with feedback <3
    Cassi
    April 18, 2018 at 5:33 am This sounds amazing...one question though...the eggs are not cooked at all?
      April 18, 2018 at 9:09 am Hi Cassi! Thanks! And nope, you don't cook the eggs when adding them to ice cream. I use pasteurized eggs, and I've always been fine. However, I do get that people remain concerned about this. In that case, you could omit them. Ice cream's texture mostly comes from the milk fat and sugar, so I'm sure you'd still be left with a smooth and creamy texture. Egg yolks are packed with emulsifiers, mainly lecithin, which bind fat and water together in a creamy emulsion and guarantee silky creaminess. I learned my ice cream making from a Ben + Jerry's book, and they use eggs in their sweet cream, which is my personal go-to. But! There are tons of eggless recipes out there. Try this without eggs if you feel better about it and please keep me posted. And if you're up for it, snap a pic and tag me on Instagram so I can feature it in my newsletter! Happy ice cream making! <3
    Teresa
    November 30, 2015 at 3:12 am Cinnamon and bourbon sound amazing, and with a slice of pumpkin pie? You got me! I too have an ice cream maker I think I'll bring it out of my basement and try this recipe!!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 1:07 pm Thanks, Teresa! Yes, dust that thing off! I'm a huge proponent of al; ice cream lovers making their own! It's just too much fun not to. And the end result is always great, because it always ends in ice cream. Haha.
    Jessica {Swanky Recipes}
    November 28, 2015 at 12:24 pm This ice cream has my name all over it! It looks and sounds heavenly. I need to make this as I'm sure it tastes great on EVERYTHING!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 1:06 pm Thanks, Jessica! I hope you love it. Ice cream really should just go on ~everything. Haha.
    Sherri @ Watch Learn Eat
    November 28, 2015 at 9:29 am This ice cream looks amazing! I really love this flavor combination - it sounds magnificent! :)
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 1:05 pm Thanks, Sherri! I appreciate that! Sometimes I worry that I'm getting too excited/over-the-top with ice cream, but it's hard not to when you have an ice cream maker. It makes me want to go crazy with flavors and some days I dream about having my own line of ice cream, haha.
    Rachel @ Simple Seasonal
    November 27, 2015 at 10:35 pm This looks creamy and divine! I think I'm going to have to ask Santa for ice cream maker this year ;)
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 1:02 pm Thanks, Rachel! I hope Santa listens ;)
    Shareba @ In Search Of Yummy-ness
    November 27, 2015 at 6:53 pm You should give yourself some credit! I've made some seriously awful ice creams in my ice cream maker :P I recently got into bourbon this year, so this ice cream recipe is going on my "need to try" list!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 1:02 pm B'aw, thanks Shareba! I'm so glad that this ice cream has made your list of things to try! I hope you end up filing it as a keeper!
    Teresa
    November 27, 2015 at 3:27 pm It's amazing what an ice cream maker can do, isn't it? Your ice cream sounds like a perfect accompaniment to pumpkin pie!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 1:01 pm It sure is! I would have figure that the process of making ice cream would be more complex, but boy was I surprised! Thanks! The two definitely went well together :)
    angela
    November 27, 2015 at 2:34 pm Ice cream holds a special place in my heart too ???????????? I don't have an ice cream maker, but I think that Santa is bringing me one this year!!! This recipe will the the first on that I use to test out my new kitchen gadget ????
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 12:26 am I really hope that Santa does bring you an ice cream maker this year! I hope you dig this recipe when you make it :)
    Amanda
    November 27, 2015 at 2:19 pm This looks like a great reason to buy an ice cream maker! Looks fantastic!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 12:25 am I forget what life was like before I had the ice cream maker, and I don't want to remember!
    Lily @GastroSenses
    November 27, 2015 at 1:16 pm This cinnamon bourbon ice cream looks fabulous!. And I’m already imagining that sweet and festive taste.
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 12:24 am Thanks, Lily! It's definitely got a very festive taste - perfect for fall/winter.
    Amanda | The Cinnamon Scrolls
    November 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm So I saw "Cinnamon" and immediately rushed right over here. This looks INCREDIBLE. I've said this time and time again, but I really need to look into investing in an ice cream maker. I just fear that I'll never stop making ice cream and my freezer will be overflowing, haha. Great recipe!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 12:24 am Haha - cinnamon has you excited? Who would have thought? :) I totally support your decision in purchasing an ice cream machine. DO IT!
    Kathi @ Laughing Spaula
    November 27, 2015 at 11:09 am I am a savory girl too but boozy desserts hold a special place in my heart! We have homemade soft serve with a shot of bourbon poured on top at a local tavern and it's divine....love this!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 12:23 am Oh wow - that tavern ice cream sounds delicious and maybe slightly intense!
    Julia
    November 27, 2015 at 4:43 am Drunken ice cream! Sounds really tasty. I own the Ben & Jerry Ice Cream book, and I think I will give your recipe a try for Christmas.
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 12:22 am Awesome! I had the Ben & Jerry's ice cream book, but I've had a hard time following any sort of recipes for ice cream since I've started making it. I get too excited to make up my own flavors, haha. Their sweet cream base in a winner, though. I'm sure all of their recipes are the type to knock one's socks off.
    Sjon
    November 26, 2015 at 3:30 pm (Hint: try ginger powder for a slightly surprising , spicy ice-cream )
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      December 9, 2015 at 12:20 am Ginger in ice cream is fantastic. I use it in my Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream :)