Smoked Salmon Avocado Toast w/ Poached Egg
This smoked salmon avocado toast is served with a silky poached egg to bring your at-home brunch to a whole new level!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love My Smoked Salmon Avocado Toast
This brunch-y toast has it all: creamy avocado, a fresh slice of tomato, a nice and runny poached egg, and smoked salmon. With that you can see that this meal isn’t just absolutely delicious, but also provides a dose of healthy fats, vitamins, and protein.
What’s not to love?
Plus, once you have avocado toast with a poached egg, there’s no looking back. Believe me.
What Kind of Bread Goes With Salmon
You can use any bread you like with this recipe! Whether you’re into sourdough, whole grain, rye, or a simple white bread, it all works out. Smoked salmon tastes great with any variety. And if wraps are more up your style, give my Egg White Smoked Salmon Wrap a whirl.
- Bread. Any bread will work with this recipe, so whatever kind of bread you’re digging—multigrain, ezekiel, plain ol’ white—you’re good to go!
- Cold smoked salmon. Cold smoked salmon is soft and silky and only adds a hint of smokiness, whereas a hot smoked salmon is denser, flakier, and smokier. Both are amazing! But I think the delicate cold smoked salmon works a little better in this scenario.
- Avocado. Creamy avocado makes for the perfect base in this recipe.
- Fresh lemon juice. A little spritz goes a long way, but I find that even just a little lemon juice really gets the flavors to pop. Not to mention it adds a nice bright freshness.
- Sea salt. Because everything needs a little salt.
- Tomato. I love adding a nice slice of tomato to any avocado toast. It adds a nice pop of freshness and acidity.
- Egg. Avocado toast with a poached egg is the way. You’ll see! But if runny eggs aren’t your thing, you could absolutely cook your egg in whatever fashion you prefer and serve it on top of this toast.
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning. Technically optional, but it really kicks this avocado toast up a few notches.
How to Make Smoked Salmon Avocado Toast w/ Poached Egg
Smash the avocado up with a fork in a small bowl. Spritz in the lemon juice and a pinch of salt; mix well and set aside.
Bring a small pot of water to a steady simmer; add the vinegar to the water.
Crack your eggs into individual ramekins or small bowls. With a spatula or large spoon, create a gentle whirlpool in the simmering water—this will help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
Gently tip the egg into the water whirlpool, egg white first. Let it cook for two minutes.
Carefully remove the egg with a slotted spoon and transfer it to an ice bath for approx. 10 seconds to stop it from cooking further (protein will continue to cook after it’s removed from heat, so you want to ensure you get that runny silky yolk).
After a quick dunk into an ice bath, transfer your egg to a paper towel and gently pat it dry. Remove any wispy egg whites with the edge of your spoon and transfer it to your plate.
Toast your bread, then spread the avocado mixture over each slice. Pop down the slices of tomato followed by the salmon and the poached egg, and hit it with seasoning.
Useful Kitchen Tools
Swaps + Variations
- If you don’t like a runny yoke, you can fry the egg to your liking and serve it on top instead. You could also boil the egg to your preferred level of doneness, slice it, and place it on top of the salmon.
- Cream cheese or goat cheese also make for a nice base for this toast.
- If you don’t have Everything But The Bagel seasoning, you can use any other seasoning you fancy—or hit your toast with a splash of soy sauce!
Have You Made This Recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider leaving a STAR rating & commenting below with feedback!
You can also show off your creations on Instagram by tagging @killing__thyme
More Smoked Salmon Recipes to Try
- Egg White Smoked Salmon Wrap W/ Goat Cheese & Spinach
- Creamy One Pot Pasta W/ Smoked Salmon & Asparagus
- Crustless Quiche W/ Smoked Salmon
- Sesame Soy Smoked Salmon Crostini
Smoked Salmon Avocado Toast w/ Poached Egg
- 1 slices of bread, your choice
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 oz cold smoked salmon
- 2 slices of tomato
- 1 eggs, poached
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning (optional)
- In a small bowl, smash the avocado with a fork until smooth. (You can leave it a bit chunky if you'd like.) Add the lemon juice and a pinch of salt and stir until well combined.
- Heat a small pot of water on the stove over medium heat. Once it reaches a steady simmer, stir in the vinegar.
- Crack the eggs into individual ramekins or small bowls.
- Stir the simmering water to create a gentle whirlpool, then slowly tip an egg into the whirlpool, egg white first. Cook for two minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, carefully remove the egg form the water. Place it into an ice bath for about 10 seconds to prevent it from further cooking.
- After that, transfer the egg to a paper towel and pat it softly to dry. Remove any of the wispy egg whites with a knife or edge of a spoon.
- Toast the bread, and when done, spread the avocado mixture over each slice. Top it with a slice of tomato, then the salmon, the poached egg, and seasoning.
- Garnish with microgreens and hit it with a splash of soy sauce.