This unfussy Bruschetta Tortellini Pasta Salad is the perfect summer side—and it takes just a measly 20 minutes to throw together.
Popping in today to hook you up with a cool and simple recipe to beat this ridiculous heat. As much as I love summer grilling, I have to take a hard pass on it some days. Our temps here in NC have been in the high 90s with a humidity that sticks to the skin like sap. When that’s the case, cold meals are the go-to in this house. And after a sweltering afternoon spent in the yard pulling deeply-rooted weeds (so deeply rooted that I disturbed a few ecosystems), a chilled dinner was definitely in the cards.
This tortellini pasta salad can be portioned out as a dinner or as a side. It uses fresh pillowy cheese tortellini, a refreshing homemade bruschetta mix, and a drizzle of thick and tangy balsamic glaze to finish things off. I like to use spinach and cheese tortellini. I have yet to try other variations, but if you do, let me know about it in the comments!
Away from the table…
— Shirley Manson from Garbage recently launched her own podcast called The Jump. This week she chats with Courtney Love, and my angsty 90s heart can’t handle it. You can listen to the episode here.
— I’m getting back into yoga postpartum, and I’ve fallen in love with the Down Dog app all over again. I thought I’d share it with you because before discovering this app, I struggled to find online yoga practices that appealed to me—but this one is awesome!
— People seem to be getting into the groove of eating less meat and, in response, the meat industry is coming together to work on a more sustainable approach for climate-conscious consumers. This is great news! And it’s proof that every little bit counts when it comes to lending a hand in making a difference.
— Yogurt has decreased in popularity over the years. But Chobani has responded in quite a clever way! Check out their new nut butter blends.
If you try this recipe or create your own variation, let me know in the comments! I love connecting with you. Then snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme to be featured in our newsletter.
Bruschetta Tortellini Pasta Salad
- 20 oz fresh spinach and cheese tortellini Frozen can also be used
- 6.5 oz grape tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, ribboned or torn
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1-2 TBSP balsamic glaze or reduction (Optional)
- Cook the tortellini as per the package's directions. When done, drain and rinse under cool water; set aside.
- Place the tomatoes, garlic, and basil into a large mixing bowl. (Leave some basil aside for garnish if desired.)
- Add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Gently toss the tortellini until the salad is well mixed. Garnish the salad with some extra basil, and drizzle the salad with a balsamic glaze.
- Serve the salad at room temperature or cold.