Fish + Seafood/ Food/ Lunch/ Main Dishes/ Pescetarian/ Sandwiches, Wraps + Burgers

Greek Pita With Sardines {Fish High in Omega-3}

Pita topped with tzatziki, fresh veggies, and Mediterranean sardines.

Pita topped with tzatziki, fresh veggies, and Mediterranean sardines.

Want to load up on fish high in Omega-3? These crisp and refreshing Greek Pitas With Sardines offer up a healthy dose of Omega-3s and a whole lot of flavor—perfect for an easy lunch or light dinner.

This post is sponsored by King Oscar | Thank you for supporting the brands I love and trust.

It’s pretty easy to fall into a lunch slump. When you work from home, a can of soup is convenient; when you pack a lunch, a limp and uninspired sandwich is often the result. Unless of course you’re my husband, who works in tech and gets bougie complimentary lunches on the reg. (I chuckle when he tells me he’s had Laotian crispy pork belly soup with rice noodles and I get to follow up with tales of my generic egg salad sammy.)

But I recently upped my lunch game with this hearty Greek pita topped with crunchy fresh veggies and tender sardines. It’s simple to make, it’s wholesome, and it’s hella satisfying. So okay, it might not compete with my husband’s fancypants downtown luncheons—but it sure as heck looks pretty. And it tastes just as good.

Pita topped with tzatziki, fresh veggies, and Mediterranean sardines.

Greek Pita With Sardines.

This recipe drops the elements of a refreshing Greek salad on top of a tzatziki-smeared pita and finishes things off with nutrient-packed sardines. But not just any sardines. I’m talkin’ King Oscar’s Brisling Mediterranean Sardines, hand-packed in a Mediterranean-style sauce made up of quality extra virgin olive oil, red bell pepper, sliced black olives, herbs de Provence, and garlicky goodness.

Not only is this a convenient at-home lunch, but you could easily turn it into an on-the-go meal. Pack a pita, a container of your greens and veggies, a wee bottle of tzatziki, and a tin of King Oscar sardines, and you’re set.

Or, wrap it up gyro style!

Greek Pita folded and wrapped like a gyro.

Sardines: a Fish High in Omega-3.

Omega-3 fatty acids are important for many reasons. They help prevent heart disease, reduce the risk of blood clots, and lower blood pressure. On top of that, omega-3 fatty acids act as essential building blocks of fetal brain development, so it’s important to consume a fair amount of them throughout pregnancy. (And I am!) The bonus? Sardines don’t come with the worry of mercury like their tinned friend, tuna.

Now I’ll admit, sardines don’t sound like the most alluring option for a weak-stomached mom-to-be. But I’ve been fortunate enough to evade serious queasiness, so mowing these gems down and taking advantage of their mighty health benefits has been a non-issue. And every time we see good test results and proper fetal development, my husband and I chuckle, “It’s all those sardines.”

Pita topped with tzatziki, fresh veggies, and Mediterranean sardines.

King Oscar products are packed in certified BPA-NI cans, and these sardines are fished from Norway’s fjord’s and coastal waters. To learn more about buying sustainable seafood, click here.

For more ways to eat delicious heart-healthy sardines, check out these recipes:

If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations, and you could be featured in my monthly newsletter <3

Pita topped with tzatziki, fresh veggies, and Mediterranean sardines.

Greek Pita With Sardines {Fish High in Omega-3}

This Greek Pita With Sardines is a fab and wholesome lunch with crisp cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, olives, and tangy tzatziki.

Course Main Course
Cuisine Mediterranean, Pescatarian
Keyword heart-healthy, lunch, Pescatarian

• 1 pita bread
  • 1 3.75 oz can of King Oscar Sardines—Mediterranean Style, drained See notes
  • 2 TBSP Tzatziki See notes for my homemade tzatziki
  • 1 cup mixed greens
  • 1/2 cup roughly chopped cucumbers
  • 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
  • 1 TBSP sliced kalamata or black olives
  • 1/8 cup thinly sliced red onion (or just a few slivers)
  • 1 tsp drained capers

1. Drain your can of sardines.

2. Slather the tzatziki over the pita, then top with the mixed greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, red onion, and capers.

3. Top the pita off with the contents of the sardine can. You can place the fillets on whole, or roughly chop them them place them on.

4. Feast on the pita as is, or carefully roll it up with foil and enjoy it like a gyro!

If you can't find the Mediterranean-style sardines, you can use King Oscar's brisling sardines packed in extra virgin olive oil; add a spritz of lemon juice for extra flavor.

Want to make your tzatziki from scratch? Try my recipe!

Greek Pita With Sardines.

Kirsten/ComfortablyDomestic
    January 22, 2019 at 11:04 pm Pita flat bread lunches are an easy go to for the work at home professional. Although this one looks far prettier than mine usually do, what with my habit of piling on leftover meat and veggies without much rhyme or reason. Tzatziki is a huge favorite of mine, as is Greek salad, so adding sardines with all of those great omega-3's? Well that's just smart. Who's got the bougie lunch now? ;)

Trish @ Rhubarbarians
    January 22, 2019 at 9:34 am Give me anything topped on pita or naan bread slathered with some great sauce and I'm a happy gal! This is seriously an impressive lunch, something that just never happens in our house these days. We always have leftovers for lunch. Always. But some days I moan and groan at the fridge looking at the leftovers and need something as great as these sardine pitas. :)

Mackenzie
    January 21, 2019 at 4:04 pm This is everything my husband could wish for in a lunch. He loves to eat meals like this, but we rarely think of ways to do them at home. I know that I'm running out to the store to stock up on some sardines now because this is undoubtedly making its way into the meal rotation. And those omega-3's are poorly lacking in our home, so I am so excited to add in a natural source instead of another pill!

Debra
    January 21, 2019 at 2:33 pm Where have I been? I can't believe how easy these are to make. Plus all of that nutrition....and to think these are sitting in the pantry just waiting to be gobbled up inside of a pita!! So simple! Who knew?

Marisa Franca
    January 21, 2019 at 9:23 am We need some new ideas for lunch. Now that Hubby is retired and at home we eat more lunches. I used to just nibble on something and forget lunch. We really like seafood and these sardines would be great to have on hand. We make homemade pitas so the Greek pita idea is great.

Sean@Diversivore
    January 21, 2019 at 12:46 am First of all, so excited for you and your growing family! I feel like there's some kind of fish pun to be made here... something about small fry.... In any case, I love this recipe. Sardines are great, and it's a shame that they've become something of a culinary punchline. I'm really happy to see writers like you championing them and doing such delicious things with them. Cheers!

Traci
    January 20, 2019 at 10:34 pm What a great idea for sardines! Can't go wrong with the Greek flavors and textures, and a fish that's so healthy! Adding this to my "make that" collection. Thanks for another great recipe, Dana! :)

Annemarie
    January 20, 2019 at 3:58 pm I hope your husband at least doesn't send you photos of the awesome food he's eating like mine does. :) But at least now you can take a bite of your own awesome sardine pita and be happy with your lunch! I love making pita rollups for lunch and these Mediterranean sardines look like just the way to perk things up around here too.

Annissa
    January 20, 2019 at 12:25 pm This looks like a fancy-pants lunch to me! Probably even better than your husband's and healthier, too! I love that you've slipped in some omega 3's with the sardines. It's sometimes hard to get them in the diet.

Tracy
    January 19, 2019 at 12:35 pm Lunch slump - YES. That is totally me these days. Because the weekdays are SO busy for me, I usually lunch prep on Sunday and it's just a big salad for everyday. BORING. I need to add this in to spice things up! Plus I LOVE sardines!

Holly
    January 19, 2019 at 9:47 am My husband loves sardines and I hesitate to buy them because I simply don't know how to prepare them or what to pair them with-- thanks for this recipe and guidance. My husband will surely thank you and I am happy to have a healthy option for our meals.

Kris
    January 18, 2019 at 10:00 am Oh my, these gems looks absolutely amazing. My husband is half Norwegian and he (and so am I) is a HUGE fan of King Oscar. We don't eat sardines a lot, but we do enjoy them. And the use of them in the beautifully prepared Greek pit looks perfect. And thanks for the recipe for Tzatzkik sauce, I will be making it, along with these pitas very soon. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Gloria
    January 15, 2019 at 5:17 pm Now, this is like a play on fish tacos LOL. What an interesting combination of flavours happening here. I LOVE gyros...and I really need to find these sardines. I will have to look for them next time I am shopping. We love smoked salmon and smoked oysters...might as well give these a try too. Where do you get them?

Dawn - Girl Heart Food
    January 15, 2019 at 12:42 pm My husband and I LOVE sardines and always have them in the pantry. Hubby would be ALL over this greek pita. I can't wait to give this one a try. Love the Mediterranean flavours goin' o here. So much better than a basic sandwich, that's for sure :) Pinned!

January 15, 2019 at 3:15 pm Hope you love it! Let me know. I can't get enough of this one lately.