Food/ Pescetarian/ Sides, tapa-tizers + snacks

Easy Stuffed Mushrooms With Spicy Sardines

Plate of stuffed mushrooms

Stuffed mushrooms on a plate

This post is sponsored by King Oscar | Thank you for supporting the brands I love and trust.

As we get ready to dive into the most holiday-heavy season, I’ve been thinking about appetizers and sides quite a bit. We love to entertain in this house, and with entertaining comes delicious food! (If you’re doing it right, lol.)

Besides dips and chips, one easy-to-whip up finger food that’s always a hit are meaty mushroom caps stuffed with… other glorious stuff! Like cheeses, meats, veggies, herbs, and a golden buttery breadcrumb topping that’ll have you swooning.

With halloween parties around the corner, as well as Thanksgiving/Friendsgiving, Christmas festivities, and New Year’s Eve, I thought that now might be a good time to throw down a stellar stuffed mushroom recipe to get your gears (and salivary glands!) going. This recipe is evergreen so it can be enjoyed year-round, but what better time to crank out some dreamy stuffed mushroom caps than the holidays!

Easy Stuffed Mushrooms With Spicy Sardines.

Pile of fresh baby bella mushrooms

Stuffed mushrooms on a plate

These plump caps are brimming with chopped up mushroom stems (why waste them?), garlic, cream cheese, briny pickled jalapeños, and King Oscar’s tender boneless and skinless Spanish-style sardines, which give this appetizer a bit of heat. If you’re more keen on fresh jalapeños, go for it. I’m just a sucker for that briny flavor that the pickled ones have got.

Now listen. If you scoff at the idea of sardines, stay with me. This is fabulous stuff, and if you’re down with seafood in general, there’s no reason why you can’t enjoy these gems.

King Oscar’s Skinless and Boneless Sardines—Spanish Style.

Opened can of sardines

These fillets are loaded with flavor. They’re hand-packed in pure olive oil with a punchy red chili pepper, sliced carrot, and a sliced pickle for some mild heat. The texture is super tender too; if you can eat canned tuna or canned salmon, then you’ll easily fall head over heels for King Oscar’s boneless and skinless sardines.

All of King Oscar’s products are a sustainable seafood choice and the company is transparent with where they get their fish. These particular fillets are fished from the Atlantic off of the coast of Morocco.

Stuffed Mushrooms on a platter

If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations, and you could be featured in my monthly newsletter <3

If you’re looking for some other pescetarian crowdpleasers, check out this smokey fish dip or these crispy fish cakes!

Stuffed mushrooms on a plate

Easy Stuffed Mushrooms With Spicy Sardines

These Easy Stuffed Mushrooms With Spicy Sardines bring a punchy appetizer to the table with cream cheese, pickled jalapeños, garlic, and buttery bread crumbs.

Course Appetizer
Cuisine Pescetarian, Seafood

• 8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms (about 12-14), washed
  • 1 4.23 oz can of King Oscar's Skinless and Boneless Sardines-Spanish style, drained
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil (or you can use the oil from the can of sardines)
  • 1 large garlic clove (or two small), minced
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 TBSP diced pickled jalapeños
  • 1/4 cup soft cream cheese
  • 1 TBSP butter
  • 1/3 cup Panko or Italian bread crumbs
  • Freshly chopped parsley

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. Give the mushrooms a good wash, removing any dirt that might be stuck to the caps or stems. Trim the stems and set them aside. With a small spoon or, I liked to use a melon scoop, carefully scoop a hole into the mushroom cap. Set what you scoop out aside with the stems. When done, set your caps aside.

3. Roughly chop the mushroom stems and extra bits. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over moderate heat, and add the mushroom bits, minced garlic, and a pinch of kosher salt. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant and the mushroom bits are tender. Set aside to cool.

4. In the meantime, transfer the sardine fillets to a bowl and flake the fillets with a fork. Add in the diced jalapeños and cream cheese, and once the mushrooms and garlic have cooled, add them as well. Stir and fold the mixture until everything is well incorporated.

5. Lightly grease a baking sheet and place the mushroom caps on top. Spoon a generous amount of the mixture into the mushroom caps. Don't worry if the mixture is brimming over—the more stuffing, the better. When done, set aside.

6. Melt 1 TBSP of butter in a small bowl, then add the bread crumbs. Stir the breadcrumbs into the melted butter until all of the breadcrumbs become dark, buttery, and super crumbly. Finally, sprinkle a generous amount of breadcrumb topping over each mushroom cap.

7. Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake the mushrooms for about 12-15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender. Sprinkle with some freshly chopped parsley and serve.

Stuffed Mushrooms on a plate
Stuffed mushrooms on a plate

Karly
    November 4, 2018 at 11:20 am Awesome recipes for Thanksgiving appetizers! Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda
    October 30, 2018 at 5:49 am These mushrooms are GORGEOUS! I am such a total stuffed mushroom fiend, especially stuffed with seafood...I could easily make a meal out of them. These would be so perfect for a Thanksgiving appetizer, or any of the winter holidays. The King Oscar sardines are clearly such a high quality, too. You can tell just by looking at them in the can!
      October 30, 2018 at 4:55 pm Thanks, Amanda! Seafood-stuffed mushrooms are my personal fave, too. I hate making appetizers for gatherings because it's extremely difficult for me to not mow half of them down myself. I am the worst ;) And yes! I always try to incorporate a photo of KOs goods right from the can just to demonstrate how beautifully pristine their products are. SO GOOD.
    Stef
    October 29, 2018 at 9:46 am My mom has always loved sardines, but for some reason, I just had a thing against them. No clue why. Recently, I've been eating them all of time! They are great and so healthy! I love the idea of trying them in stuffed mushrooms. Can't wait to give it a try!
      October 30, 2018 at 4:53 pm I could have written the same exact comment myself, Stef! I used to make fun of my mom when she'd eat sardine sandwiches with mustard. Fast forward to now, she's laughing at me. I guess I just had to find the right brand. I've yet to stray from King Oscar. They're just TOO GOOD.
    Sean@Diversivore
    October 29, 2018 at 12:19 am Full disclosure, I've never been big on button mushrooms - BUT... you've really got an awesome set of flavours going on here. The spice, the pungent and addictive flavour of good sardines, the salt, that earthy mushroom kick - it's a great combo. Fantastic work, and I love the way you've reimagined a classic here Dana. Cheers!
      October 30, 2018 at 4:52 pm Thanks, Sean! Everything definitely went together swimmingly in this recipe. I was extremely excited about it.
    Annemarie
    October 28, 2018 at 10:33 pm Why not stuff mushrooms with sardines? What a great idea. I can imagine that the dense, rich flavor of the sardines marries very well with the cream cheese, hot peppers, and breadcrumbs. These would get snapped right up at my holiday parties!
    Carmy
    October 28, 2018 at 12:46 pm This is genius! I love stuffed mushrooms - I once ate 10 in one sitting haha. I never thought to put sardines in it though! I think it would give a nice kick of flavour since it's Spanish style. I'll have to bookmark this - it'll be prefect for holiday parties.
    Tina
    October 27, 2018 at 10:44 pm I love canned fish. I haven't tried the Spanish style sardines so I'm kinda excited about trying your recipe. I love everything cream cheese and there isn't a stuffed mushroom, yet, that I haven't liked so I will be making these soon:) Thanks for sharing this.
    Traci
    October 27, 2018 at 11:28 am What a great idea to use sardines in a stuffed mushroom recipe! I'm always wondering how to use those little guys and probably wouldn't have thought of this. Another great recipe by you, Dana. Thanks for always sharing the good ideas with us. Just pinned!
    Tina
    October 27, 2018 at 5:59 am These are the perfect appetizer for holiday parties. I love that nothing is wasted, and the stems are incorporated into the filling for extra mushroom flavor. I've never thought of using sardines, but I'm definitely giving this a try this week. What perfect timing as I have my first holiday potluck at the office this week.
      October 30, 2018 at 4:50 pm Food waste makes me cringe! I've seen so many stuffed mushroom recipes that just scrap the mushroom stems and like, WHYYY. Hope you love these, Tina. Keep me posted :)
    Tracy Koslicki
    October 26, 2018 at 9:04 pm You know, I don't think I've ever had a stuffed mushroom I haven't loved - but also I haven't had one with sardines and what a shame! Of course! These sound amazing - I'll have to add them to our party menu list!
    Debra
    October 26, 2018 at 5:00 pm My mouth is watering just thinking about all of those flavorful ingredients. Perfect timing to stumble upon this recipe just before the holidays. What a perfect party appetizer.
    LIsa
    October 26, 2018 at 11:21 am You know, I think people are put off my sardines because it's not part of their every day existence the way it is in Europe. Sardines are just part of the nomenclature -- and they're so healthy and delicious, they're easy to incorporate into a sensible eating plan. These stuffed mushrooms are hitting at just the right time, too. Perfect for holiday entertaining. I can practically guarantee these'll be the first to go from the buffet! Thanks for the recipe!
      October 30, 2018 at 4:47 pm I think you're right, Lisa. I used to turn my nose up at sardines when I was a kid and I'm really glad I grew up and gave them a chance because like you said, they're healthy and delicious. Such a win. Hope you love these!
    Gloria
    October 24, 2018 at 1:25 pm These are party perfect. I have tried crab stuffed mushrooms, but not stuffed with sardines. A nice twist on a delicious classic. I know my hubby would love these.