Food/ Main Dishes/ Pescetarian

Easy Poached Salmon Fillets in Tomato Wine Sauce

I finally decided to cook my salmon by giving it a bath; a delicious ruby bath of tomato sauce, red wine, and vegetable broth. Naturally, I’m left wondering why I’ve never poached my fillets until now.

(Yep, you read that correctly.)

Much like steaming fish in parchment, this method flaunts elegance with ease making it ideal for busy weeknights + Sunday dinners alike.

Prep is a breeze, clean-up is minimal, and the whole process is super chill and worthy of becoming part of your weekly dinner rotation. If you’re specifically looking for ways to incorporate more fish into your meals, even better.

We’re less than a week away from Christmas, and I’m already feeling crushed from the avalanche of heavy comfort foods swimming in cream, cheese, and cream cheese.

I feel like a humbug when every other blogger is sharing a profusion of festive cookies, cakes, and pies, and I’m just here like, “Hi, I’m still eating fish and vegetables.”

Believe me, I eat my weight in cheese and carbs behind the scenes this time of year—but what can I say? When it comes to creating, my heart lies with this wholesome shit.

If you make this recipe, please snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @killing__thyme! I love hearing from you <3

Easy Poached Salmon Fillets in Tomato Wine Sauce

Salmon is poached in a bath of tomato sauce, red wine, and vegetable broth alongside kalamata olives and fresh basil for an easy yet elegant dinner.

Course Entree, Main Course
Cuisine Mediterranean, Pescetarian
Author Killing Thyme

• 2 6 oz fillets of salmon white fish like cod or haddock also work with this recipe
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 2 oz red onion, thinly sliced and halved
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1/2 cup kalamata olives, drained
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, ribboned, + more for garnish

1. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Add the tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes start to soften and blister.

2. Add the vegetable broth, tomato sauce, red wine, olives, basil, and finally, the fish fillets. Cover and simmer for 6-9 minutes, occasionally spooning sauce over the fillets to base them. If you have a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature at 6 minutes. You want the fish to have an internal temperature of 140 degrees F.

3. Sprinkle with an additional handful of chopped basil prior to serving, and serve over zucchini noodles, quinoa, or whatever you're into.

32 Fresh Tomato Recipes You Should Try This Summer | The Cooking Bride
    July 23, 2018 at 2:53 pm […] Easy Poached Salmon Fillets in Tomato Wine Sauce from Killing Thyme […]
    Easy Grilled Salmon Kebabs With Homemade Chimichurri Sauce | Killing Thyme
    May 16, 2018 at 11:15 am […] Easy Poached Salmon Fillets in Tomato Wine Sauce […]
    16 Last Minute Valentine's Recipes | Garlic & Zest
    February 14, 2018 at 8:18 am […] POACHED SALMON FILETS IN TOMATO WINE SAUCE – By Killing Thyme Here’s a delicious quick low-carb alternative — so you won’t get weighed down before other activities can ensue. […]
    Charles Siritho
    January 8, 2018 at 12:51 am Thanks for the recipe, I added a slight twist and pan fried the salmon skin side only before putting it into the broth. Was a killer combo.
      January 8, 2018 at 7:16 am Hey Charles! I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I love that you went the crispy-skinned route. Crispy-skinned salmon is just so darn good. Thanks so much for taking the time to report back!
    Chrysa
    December 31, 2017 at 12:25 am This is such a beautiful dish. I have never tried poaching filets either. There's always a first!
    Laura
    December 30, 2017 at 11:28 pm Beautiful idea, I love to indulge in fish during the holiday
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    December 30, 2017 at 11:16 pm My husband loves salmon! I'll have to give this one a try.
    Lisa Bryan
    December 30, 2017 at 10:47 pm Poached salmon is my favorite, but I usually do it very simply. This tomato wine sauce sounds fabulous, so definitely making this recipe next time!
    Deanna
    December 30, 2017 at 10:27 pm That sauce!! Wow!! That sounds soo yummy!!!!!!!!!!
    Jessica Robinson
    December 30, 2017 at 4:38 pm We are attempting to eat better now and hitting the gym hard. This salmon looks super yummy and flavorful!
    Dan
    December 28, 2017 at 11:28 pm I made this last night and it was an absolute hit! Thanks so much for the recipe!
      December 30, 2017 at 11:24 am I'm so glad you loved it! Thanks for the feedback :)
    Agness of Run Agness Run
    December 28, 2017 at 4:47 pm This is a great recipe to include more salmon into my diet, Dana. I fell in love with this dish. Can I combine yellow and red onion?
      December 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm Hey Agness! I'm so glad you're into this recipe. It's a keeper! You could totally combine yellow and red onions. Let me know what you think if you try it out :)