Food/ Main Dishes/ Vegetarian

Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas

Bowl meals are kind of the best. You simply pile a bunch of ingredients that play well together into a bowl, curl up, hide under a blanket and mow down with ease without the worry of dropping food between your couch cushions.

This post was supposed to go down differently, though.

I spent Tuesday afternoon preparing, chopping and cooking ingredients while recording a How-To video on making wonton potstickers. I stuffed and folded 48 of those buggers only to have 43 of them fall apart on me as I cooked them. I even tried four different cooking methods.

So yes, potstickers indeed. At least they remained true to their name.

Despite feeling completely dejected after all of that work, things came through in the end. We ended up with a real gem.

This Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas | Killing Thyme

This Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas | Killing Thyme

Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas

Before Christmas, I developed an affinity for crispy chickpea tacos. My husband and I hit up our fave taco joint every Tuesday for $2 tacos (serious bliss, my friends), but we became so obsessed with tacos that we started making our own on Thursdays.

So, this past Wednesday afternoon while feeling down in the dumps due to the recent and sudden passing of my youngest uncle + the hodgepodge of terrible news destroying everyone emotionally and psychologically on social media, I needed to curl up with something good; I needed to eat my feelings. Of course I was lacking the motivation to make crispy chickpea tacos, so I took the lazy route and threw everything into a bowl over some cooked grains.

And then I screamed on the inside with delight.

This Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas | Killing Thyme

This Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas | Killing Thyme

Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas

This Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas is efficient, convenient and absolutely delicious. It makes for a fab lunch or dinner.

• 15 oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
  • A serving for 2 of grains quinoa, rice, barley, etc., cooked as per instructions on packet
  • in Vegetable broth used to cook the grains
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp chili hot sauce sauce more or less to your taste
  • 1 tsp of chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
  • 1/3 tsp of cumin
  • 1/3 tsp garlic salt
  • Toppings:
  • Grated cheddar cheese
  • Chopped/shredded lettuce
  • slices Avocado
  • Diced tomatoes
  • Fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
  • Lime wedges for fresh lime juice
  • Plain Greek yogurt

1. Chickpeas:
  2. Chickpeas can be cooked in an Actifry for approx. 15-20 minutes. If roasting in the oven, you will want to plan ahead.
  3. Roasting in oven:
  4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  5. Very lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking oil.
  6. Place the chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel or a few paper towels and gently pat them dry. The dryer, the better.
  7. In a medium bowl, toss the chickpeas with olive oil to coat.
  8. Add the chili hot sauce, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Mix thoroughly and ensure chickpeas are evenly coated.
  9. Transfer them to the prepared baking sheet in an even layer.
  10. Bake, shaking the pan halfway through baking time, until the chickpeas are crunchy — approx. 50 minutes to 1 hour.
  11. Let them cool for at least one hour. The chickpeas will get crunchier as they cool. (Optional step.)
  12. Grains:
  13. Prepare the grains as per the packages instructions using vegetable broth in place of water.
  14. Once done, sprinkle the ground coriander into the grains and mix well. Taste, and season more if desired.
  15. Assembly:
  16. Once the grains are ready, transfer them to a bowl and top with some chickpeas (you might have some leftover for snacking!) and desired toppings.
FOR MORE DELISH EATS, FIND ME ON INSTAGRAM AND PINTEREST.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE? SNAP A PIC AND TAG ME ON INSTA! @KILLING__THYME /#KILLINGTHYME
Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas | Killing Thyme

Veronica
    September 6, 2017 at 11:44 pm Yummy! We had these tonight and my husband and I were blown away. These will definitely be a part of the weekly rotation. Thanks!!
      September 7, 2017 at 10:28 am Hey Veronica! I'm so glad you both loved this dish — it's definitely one of my personal faves. Thank you SO much for taking the time to stop by with some feedback. This makes my day :)
    Crispy Chipotle Chickpea Tacos - Killing Thyme
    May 1, 2017 at 5:28 pm […] belieeeeeeve me. This taco recipe is actually quite similar to my now famous (thanks, Buzzfeed!) Taco Grain Bowl With Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas. <— I highly recommend giving that a go, too. Bowl meals are ah-mazing; especially when […]
    20 Protein-Packed Dinners With No Meat | Female Fit Body
    April 30, 2017 at 6:04 pm […] You simply mass a bunch of ingredients that play well together into a bowl. Find the recipe HERE […]
    Healthy 15-minute meals - Fitgirlcode
    April 5, 2017 at 10:52 am […] Hungry for this dish? Here you can see how to make it yourself.  […]
    Deze gezonde dinerrecepten staan binnen 15 minuten op tafel - #FITGIRLCODE
    March 31, 2017 at 9:16 am […] Hoe je deze tacobowl maakt lees je hier. […]
    All of the Protein, None of the Meat: 10 Delicious, FILLING Vegetarian Dinners - Blogs
    March 30, 2017 at 1:11 pm […] 9. Taco Grain Bowl w/ Crispy Chipotle Chickpeas […]
    Amy
    March 28, 2017 at 3:01 am Can I ask what kind/brand of quinoa you used here? It looks so tasty!
      March 28, 2017 at 9:00 am Hi Amy! Absolutely. This is the Lundberg Farms brand. I hope you can find it where you are — it's delish!
    Ashley
    March 20, 2017 at 3:59 pm This looks wonderful! How much protein punch does this actually have? Thanks!
    The Greatest High Protein Meals Ever
    March 7, 2017 at 11:46 pm […] […]
    20 Protein-Packed Dinners With No Meat – UHYAH
    March 7, 2017 at 11:26 am […] killingthyme.net […]
    Fruity Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl - Killing Thyme
    March 6, 2017 at 10:35 am […] personal favey-fave is this Taco Grain Bowl. Because tacos. But this breakfast bowl biz is also pretty nifty, and please note that you […]
    VIRALOUS | 20 Protein-Packed Dinners With No Meat
    March 6, 2017 at 8:41 am […] killingthyme.net […]
    TOP20 High-Proteine Recipes Without Meat — BreakingNews24
    March 5, 2017 at 8:58 am […] Taco Tuesday: Grain Bowl Edition. Recipe here. […]
    Nicoletta @sugarlovespices
    February 6, 2017 at 10:35 am I like tacos, but I like this bowl better! It looks pretty, colorful, healthy and delicious! Food is so comforting in hard times and this taco grain bowl would sure make me smile and warm me up from the inside. P.s. So sorry about your uncle, Dana!
    Colleen Milne
    February 3, 2017 at 6:59 pm I'm sorry about your pot stickers, and even sorrier about your Uncle. Condolences :-( I've never gotten around to roasting chickpeas, and I love them. This bowl looks so freaking good that I just might do that right now! Thanks for posting.
      February 3, 2017 at 7:28 pm Thanks so much, Colleen <3 Haha, I love roasted chickpeas! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! I used to get pissy when I'd make them as a plain ol' snack because they don't get as crisp as say a chip, BUT, as an addition to a bowl like this or tacos, ah-mazing.
    Sean
    February 3, 2017 at 3:52 pm I wouldn't blame you if you screamed on the outside too. This looks amazing, fresh, and satisfying. And I LOVE the chickpeas. I always like chickpeas but they can be a little unimpressive from a texture standpoint when you get a big ol' mouthful of them. But crispy chickpeas? HECK YES. The Actifry idea is an interesting one too - I've never tried one (I tend to resist kitchen gadgetry for a while, then cave in and fall in love). But man... I could so go for a big ol' soul-soothing-tummy-filling bowl right now.
      February 3, 2017 at 7:26 pm Haha, thanks Sean! The thought of me shoving this stuff into my mouth while screaming out loud is making me giggle pretty hard right now. What a visual. It's funny, we got an Actifry for Christmas in 2015 and it took me until late 2016 to bother with it, but now I use it on the regular! It's amazing for crispy tofu and, of course, chickpeas. You'd probably love it.
    Alexandra | Occasionally Eggs
    February 3, 2017 at 1:58 pm I'm pretty much living on bowl food during the winter months (I just can't get quite as excited about months of the same winter produce) and eating it under a blanket is pretty much my life now lol. That's too bad your potstickers didn't stick, but this looks like a great alternative!
      February 3, 2017 at 7:24 pm I hear you, Alex. When fall comes around, I get so stoked about squash and root veggies; but after Christmas, I'm just like, "GTFO". Oh no, the problem was that my potstickers DID stick. And tore right open. Haha. I was so mad; definitely dropped a lot of F-bombs in my kitchen :D
    Tiffany
    February 3, 2017 at 1:53 pm Love that you were able to find a silver lining. So very sorry about your uncle. I read your FB post about his chowder recipe. I'm sure he'd love this, too, and would probably have his own creative spin on such a dish.
      February 3, 2017 at 7:21 pm Thanks so much, Tiffany. Haha, oh man. That chowder recipe - one of my fave stories. He probably would love this because he loved anything us kids did. He was our biggest cheerleader and sadly stumbled onto a dark path two years ago. Thanks for the kind words <3
    Eyecandypopper
    February 3, 2017 at 10:41 am I agree, bowl meals are simply the best! A great way to use up whatever we have in the fridge too, but this one looks SO good!
      February 3, 2017 at 7:20 pm Aha, yeah. Anything that helps me clean out the crisper is a win with me. Thanks, Gaby!
    Mel | The Refreshanista
    February 3, 2017 at 8:08 am That looks SO GOOD! I loooove grain bowls so this is my kinda meal. My husband and I are also obsessed with tacos so I definitely have to try this recipe. And I've been meaning to try crispy chickpeas, these ones look delicious!
      February 3, 2017 at 7:18 pm Thanks, Mel! Haha, the taco obsession is REAL. Even if one of us is insinuating skipping out on Taco Tuesday due to extra work load or just being kind of tired, the other is there to call shenanigans and make it happen. It's a serious weekly tradition. Crispy chickpeas are fab. Kind of a pain in the arse to prep (which is why I love love love doing them in the Actifry) but oh-so-worth it.
    Hilary
    February 3, 2017 at 7:49 am I love when a "disaster" turns out to be a hit!! This looks like a seriously healthy and tasty dish, I love all the colourful veggies! So key during these dark winter months. Great recipe!
      February 3, 2017 at 7:16 pm I'm with you on that! It's such a pleasant (and usually much needed) surprise. Thanks, Hilary. It truly is the perfect pick-me-up for a dreary February afternoon.