Food/ Main Dishes/ Pescetarian

Shrimp Tacos with Mango Habanero Salsa

If there’s a taco recipe you need in your life, you’re looking at it. Shrimp Tacos with Mango Habanero Salsa. Get on it.

I’m not sure that I can properly express my feelings about this taco. I can tell you that going through these photos was a special kind of torment, though. Because I just want to stuff my face all over again.

And again and again and again.

Between going on a pescetarian diet and moving to the Southern US, I can definitely say that I’ve been mowing down my fair share of fish and shrimp tacos within the last few months. It’s been interesting to see how seafood tacos differ from taco joint to taco joint, too.

The good news is that I’ve yet to meet a seafood taco I don’t enjoy.

Shrimp Tacos With Mango Habanero Salsa.

I fell in love with shrimp tacos after trying them at our local taco joint. They just knock it out of the park with their simple yet flavorful creations. My weekly go-to are the Pow Pow Shrimp Tacos. Imagine this: a soft flour tortilla topped with a tangy vinegary slaw, crispy fried shrimp, and a drizzle of Sriracha mayo.

Complete with a cool pint of Beekeeper Honey Wheat from Gizmo Brew Works. Always. It’s my tradition.

I definitely want to recreate those tacos at home sometime, but I’m lazy when it comes to breading and deep frying at home. So for now, delectable pan-fried shrimp tacos with a punch-you-in-the-pie-hole salsa.

Mango Habanero Salsa.

Nope—no tomatoes here. I did some homework to make sure that I could call this a salsa and yes, we’re good. Though salsas are often tomato-based, in general, it’s referred to a raw or near-raw sauce used as a dip.

If you’re unsure about your heat tolerance, add the diced habanero bit by bit. This pepper is as mighty as it is tiny; it will surprise you.

This is why I add some creamy cooling avocado slices to my tacos. (My husband takes a pass on the avo, however. He’s an animal.)

Instant Pickled Onions.

I’m sure you’ve heard of “quick pickled” onions. Well, I’ve got one better.

By simmering red onions in apple cider vinegar, water, salt, and a tad of honey, you’ll get the sweet and briny fuchsia rings you’re looking for.

I don’t use pickled onions enough to justify “quick pickling” an entire batch. If you’re the same, I guess you could say that my instant pickling method gets you… out of a pickle.

(The old photos… )

Shrimp Tacos 2

If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations, and you’ll get a chance to be featured in my monthly newsletter.

5 from 1 vote

Shrimp Tacos with Mango Habanero Salsa

• 4 in small flour tortilla shells heated a hot skillet for slight crisp if desired

MANGO HABANERO SALSA:

• 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • Kosher salt and cracked black pepper

OTHER TOPPINGS:

• 1/2 diced or sliced avocado
  • 1/2 cup pickled red onions see notes for instant pickling method
  • 4 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt
  • Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro.
  • Serve with lime wedges.

1. (If doing an instant pickle with your red onions, start with this and consider the cook time for this recipe increased to approx. 13 minutes. See notes for directions on instant pickling.)
  2. For the mango habanero salsa, toss all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Make sure to hit it with a dash of salt and some cracked black pepper. Have a taste, and set aside.
  3. Heat grapeseed oil in a pan over moderate heat.
  4. Sprinkle the shrimp with chili powder, a bit of salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
  5. Carefully set each shrimp into the pan and sear on each side. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of the shrimp, but note that it does not take shrimp long to cook at all. Just a few minutes! Raw shrimps are translucent and grey in color. Once they're done, they're opaque and pearly-pink in color. Watch them carefully and don't leave them unattended as overcooked shrimp will result in a rubbery texture. You're probably looking at approx. 3 minutes of cook time for the shrimp--but be your own judge.
  6. Once the shrimp is cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
  7. Lay out the tortilla shells and start to layer your ingredients, starting with the shrimp and followed by the salsa, avocado, pickled onions, plain Greek yogurt, and parsley or cilantro garnish.
  8. Serve with lime wedges.
  9. This pairs amazingly with a whit beer. I know from experience :)

*If including an instant pickle to your onions, cook time for this recipe increases to approx. 13 minutes.
!To instant pickle red onions, you will need1/2 red onion, sliced into thin rings
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup warm water
1 tablespoon of honey
1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
Pour the cider, water and honey into a medium saucepan and heat over moderate heat, whisking vigorously until the honey dissolves. Bring to a simmer. Add the salt and stir.
Finally, add the sliced onions and allow them to simmer for approx. 10-15 minutes, or until they turn really soft. They should also turn bright pink.Remove from heat, drain any excess liquid, and allow to sit at room temperature until they are ready for use.
They also keep in the fridge for up to five days.

25 Unique Taco Ideas for #tacotuesday! - Beyond Mere Sustenance
    February 20, 2019 at 1:11 pm […] Shrimp Tacos with Mango Habanero Salsa from Killing Thyme […]
    Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Tacos | Killing Thyme
    September 14, 2018 at 12:25 pm […] Shrimp Tacos with Mango Habanero Salsa (pescetarian) […]
    35+ Tantalizing Taco Recipes - Nourish and Fete
    August 6, 2018 at 10:57 pm […] shrimp tacos with mango habanero salsa! On Killing Thyme (pictured above, bottom […]
    35+ Mouth-Watering Taco Recipes - Nourish and Fete
    August 6, 2018 at 10:56 pm […] shrimp tacos with mango habanero salsa! On Killing Thyme (pictured above, bottom […]
    Christine @ Happy Veggie Kitchen
    May 18, 2018 at 9:16 am These tacos are stunning! Look at all those colors! My family just love seafood tacos, so I will be sure to share this recipe around.

Easy Fish Tacos With Jalapeño Brisling Sardines | Killing Thyme
    April 24, 2018 at 9:50 am […] Shrimp Tacos With Mango Habanero Slaw […]
    Grilled Ahi Tuna With Cherry Salsa - Killing Thyme
    August 14, 2017 at 3:12 pm […] Stewart recipe. I’m no stranger to marrying fruits and hot peppers — it was a success in my Shrimp Tacos With Mango Habanero Salsa and in my Grilled Jerk Fish Tacos With Tangy Peach Salsa — so plucking a Cubanelle from my […]
    35 Healthier Hawaiian Recipes | The Beachbody Blog
    August 9, 2017 at 6:24 pm […] Shrimp Tacos with Mango Habanero Salsa (264 calories) Tender and juicy shrimp tacos are dressed in Greek yogurt, tangy lime juice, and topped with a zesty Mango Habanero Salsa for a Hawaiian-inspired meal you won’t soon forget! Portion Fix Containers: ½ Purple, ½ Red, ½ Yellow, ½ Blue, ½ tsp. […]
    Grilled Jerk Fish Tacos With Tangy Peach Salsa - Killing Thyme
    June 15, 2017 at 12:50 pm […] taco joint weekly in order to celebrate the taco. How could I let this happen? (I do have a shrimp taco recipe, though. Just […]
    Justine
    May 7, 2016 at 12:11 pm Wow, these look so good! I've been craving tacos lately and I wish I could have a couple of these guys in front of me right now with a killer margarita! Just pinned for later. :)
    Julia
    May 6, 2016 at 3:08 pm Wow, these tacos looks absolutely divine! I don't know what else to say really. I never would to think to make instant pickled onions either. Looks just fab and I bet they taste delicious as well. I am going to have to try them out.
      May 6, 2016 at 3:50 pm Thanks, Julia! I'm thinking I need to do up a little tutorial on making instant pickled onions, because they are oh so convenient when you're in a pinch. Not many have the time to spend an entire day pickling these days! I hope you love these when you do try them :)
    Dr. Kimberley @HealthyLifeRedesign
    May 6, 2016 at 1:47 pm Wow, these look delicious! I was a mission to make some tasty fish tacos but shrimp tacos may be even more exciting! Thanks for the recipe Dana, I look forward to trying it out :) Kimberley
      May 6, 2016 at 1:52 pm Thanks so much, Dr.! Fish tacos are so darn good, but I have to admit, I'll take shrimp tacos first any day. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know how it goes :)
    Cathy
    May 6, 2016 at 1:17 pm These look delicious! The pickled onion sure does make them look pretty!
      May 6, 2016 at 1:23 pm Thanks, Cathy! I've been thinking of doing a little tutorial on how to make instant pickled onions. It's so handy in a pinch!
    Diana L.
    May 6, 2016 at 12:21 pm These shrimp tacos look soooo good. I had fish tacos for the first time just last week (gasp! I know.) if these shrimp tacos are anything as good as the fish tacos were. O.M.G. Gorgeous pictures.
      May 6, 2016 at 12:23 pm Thanks so much, Diana! Fish tacos are SO GOOD, but I definitely love shrimp tacos a little more ;) It's the texture. They have such a nice crunch, and they are so sweet and yummy. Also, don't feel bad. I had my first fish taco in the summer of 2014. I felt like I was behind, too. Here in the Southern US, they are really popular, so it's hard not to try them. Even if I wasn't pescetarian, I'd opt for fish/shrimp tacos over the rest any day!
    Jo-Anna
    May 6, 2016 at 12:14 pm These look amazing! Shrimp tacos are some of my most favourite tacos of all time! There's a little taco shop in Phoenix that made the most amazing shrimp tacos I've ever had, but for some reason I've never tried to make them at home! Your recipe looks perfect, so I'm going to try them!
      May 6, 2016 at 12:19 pm Thanks, Jo-Anna! Shrimp tacos are totally my fave, too. Just the texture of the shrimp mixed with all of those bright flavors. I'm so glad you're inspired to make these - I hope you love them! Let me know how it goes :)
    Melanie @ Gather for Bread
    May 2, 2016 at 9:39 am THese look absolutely amazing! And what beautiful pops of color. Gorgeous.
      May 2, 2016 at 10:13 am Thanks, Melanie! I definitely love how colorful these are. Fresh produce is rewarding in so many ways!
    Sean
    May 2, 2016 at 12:54 am YASSS. This is some yummy stuff man. I mean tacos are pretty much always awesome, but these are full-on loaded pescetaco magnificence. AWESOME.
      May 2, 2016 at 10:12 am Pescetaco! I love it! Brb, coining that term.... haha. Thanks, Sean! They are so. friggin'. delicious. I always use monster-sized shrimp too, so the yum factor is through the roof.