Food

Apple Cranberry Pork Chops

Apple Cranberry Pork Chops

Since this recipe was originally posted, Killing Thyme has shifted it’s focus to the pesco-vegetarian diet. I’ve decided to keep a few popular meat recipes in my index for your convenience, including this one.

Pork chops and I haven’t always been buds. I guess I spent too much of my life eating bland, overdone chops which lead to me reaching for chicken or steak in most cases. Fortunately I’d noticed enough rustic autumn recipes in magazines, similar to these Apple Cranberry Pork Chops, that swayed me into giving chops another shot.

This recipe is fantabulous. Pairing apple sauce with pork chops is nothing new, but adding actual apples, all spice, cinnamon, and dried cranberries? This is a whole other thing that needs to be served at your table while the cold weather is here. It’s really easy to put together, and your family will just mow it down – trust me. My husband is pretty iffy when it comes to pork chops, for the same reason that I was, and he loved this. He was on his knees begging for me! And then he wanted a second helping of pork chops! Ha…

Apple Cranberry Pork Chops 2

Yields 4

Apple Cranberry Pork Chops

10Prep Time

20Cook Time

Save RecipeSave Recipe
Recipe Image

• 4 boneless pork chops
  • Kosher salt and ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • Half of one large onion, minced
  • 1 large apple, quartered and sliced
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries

1. With a paper towel, pat the pork chops dry.
  2. Season each side of the chops with Kosher salt and ground black pepper.
  3. Toss the chops in flour and set aside.
  4. In a bowl, combine the sliced apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, and allspice.
  5. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat.
  6. Bring the chops to the pan and fry them until browned on each side, approx. 2 mins. per side.
  7. Once each side has browned, remove from the saucepan and set aside.
  8. Add the other tablespoon of oil to the saucepan.
  9. Add the onions and simmer until browned.
  10. Once the onions have browned, add the apple cider or apple juice, as well as the cranberries.
  11. Bring to a simmer and allow the mixture to thicken, approx. 4 mins.
  12. Add the apples, then bring the chops back to the saucepan and toss to coat.
  13. Cover, and let the chops simmer until cooked through - approx. 15-20 mins. or until the internal temperature of the pork chops has reached 160° F.
  14. Serve immediately.
7.8.1.2

Apple Cranberry Pork Chops - Yum Goggle
    November 15, 2015 at 1:15 pm […] GET THE RECIPE […]
    Sarah
    November 14, 2015 at 10:33 pm Oh yum! I always used to think pork chops were dry and tough, until recently my boyfriend was set on dispelling that myth. He succeeded! I'll have to try your recipe out :)
    Laura
    November 14, 2015 at 9:56 pm That is an unexpected mix of ingredients! It looks delicious, though! that is a brilliant idea ;-)
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 16, 2015 at 11:49 am Thanks, Laura! It's great when unexpected ingredients actually work out.
    Michelle Chavez
    November 14, 2015 at 3:40 pm These look absolutely delicious!!!! It is really a very original way to cook pork chops. You got me at cranberries! I love them on savory recipes so much!!! BTW, thanks for stoping by my blog :) xoxo
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 16, 2015 at 11:48 am Hey, Michelle! Thanks so much! Cranberries really are so versatile - it's awesome. Thanks for returning the blog visit! I absolutely love your blog - it's gorgeous! Awesome recipes and fantastic photos. It's just really aesthetically pleasing and worth perusing! I'm jazzed I found it :)
    La Cuisine d'Helene
    November 14, 2015 at 11:21 am This meals looks so good, my family would enjoy.
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 16, 2015 at 11:45 am Thanks, Helene!
    Annie @ Annie's Noms
    November 14, 2015 at 6:04 am I just made something with apple and cranberry this week and it was the first time I used the combination, but it's SO good; bet it's divine with pork, this looks delicious!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 16, 2015 at 11:44 am Thanks, Annie! I love the combination, too. It's perfect for this time of year!
    Tara | Deliciously Declassified
    November 13, 2015 at 10:28 pm I have the same feeling towards pork chops - mine always come out tough! But, this recipe is making me want to give them another chance. Looks like the perfect fall meal!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 14, 2015 at 12:40 am Hey, Tara! It's so easy to overcook chops - I hear ya. I mentioned in a comment above that the meat thermometer has become one of my most precious tools in the kitchen and, since I've started using it, I haven't had dried/overcooked poultry or pork since! I never worry with beef, because it's beef, but I was always so afraid to undercook poultry and pork. Now I can relax and let the thermometer tell me it's all good. Haha.
    Amanda | The Cinnamon Scrolls
    November 13, 2015 at 10:28 pm I agree with you - pork can get so dry if you leave it just a smidge too long in the pan, or it lacks flavour completely. I love your version! Apples and cranberries go so well with pork! This is fall perfection in a skillet.
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 14, 2015 at 12:38 am Thanks so much, Amanda! Do you have a meat thermometer? It's honestly become one of my most precious kitchen tools. Poultry and pork are basically destroyed if overcooked, but they are also meats that you don't want to gamble with when it comes to doneness. The meat thermometer leaves me reassured and I've been able to enjoy juicy, tender pork and chicken since!
    Gloria @ Homemade & Yummy
    November 13, 2015 at 10:07 pm Cranberries and apples....apples and pork...everything goes so well together. Perfect fall/winter dish.
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 14, 2015 at 12:36 am Thanks, Gloria! I'll be honest, I ate some of the leftovers cold for lunch today and wowza - they were even good cold. haha.
    Anne Murphy
    November 13, 2015 at 9:40 pm Pork works so well with fruit - and the sweet/sour apple cranberry combo is perfect!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 14, 2015 at 12:35 am I totally agree! I was thinking about how versatile pork can be and how I feel like it doesn't get enough credit for being so. I mean sure, you could do this with chicken, but I feel like it wouldn't have the same "Oumph!" and savoriness.
    Laureen Fox
    November 13, 2015 at 4:48 pm Pork Chops, apples and cranberries... Oh yum!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 14, 2015 at 12:34 am Right? This dish has so much going on but it all ties the dish together as a whole, which is great. Nothing seems out of place!
    Stacey
    November 13, 2015 at 2:03 pm I love the flavor combination here! It just sounds so good and looks incredibly delicious :)
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 14, 2015 at 12:34 am Thanks so much, Stacey!
    Robyn @ Simply Fresh Dinners
    November 13, 2015 at 10:47 am Hi Dana, I've been thinking of cooking pork chops lately because I have a wonderful organic farm close by and I know their pork products are fabulous. This recipe is perfect because I'm always craving apples this time of year and I love a quick and easy dish. Thanks! PS...This is my first visit and your blog is truly lovely. I'll be back :)
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 14, 2015 at 12:33 am Hey, Robyn! I love how wonderfully this recipe works out for you, then! Definitely let me know what you think after you've made these :) And thanks so much for the kind words! I really appreciate that and I'm so glad that you plan to visit the blog again. I also definitely plan on visiting yours on the regular, too! I am trying to also get into the habit of commenting more. Being able to see the presence of your readership is so motivating and I want to be able to offer that. I'm sure we will chat again soon!
    Jason Sandeman
    November 13, 2015 at 10:32 am Spot on! I love the combination of pork and apples. The cranberries are a nice touch too. I have some regular cranberries to use up, so that would work too. I like to cut a cm into the fat butt, repeating three or four times for each chop. That way, when you fry them, they stay flat, and get a lot better crust. Plus the cuts form a space for the saucy buts to hide. All in all, good!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 14, 2015 at 12:31 am Thanks, Jason! Regular ol' cranberries would work just fine for sure. Let me know what you think! Hehehe, saucy buts.
    Samantha
    November 13, 2015 at 9:22 am Pork chop love!! I've never added cranberries to my rendition before but I now think I should.
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 13, 2015 at 10:22 am You definitely should! Haha - if you do, let me know what you think!