Mini Puttanesca Pizzas
This post is sponsored by King Oscar | Opinions are my own
I couldn’t let #NationalSeafoodMonth and #NationalPizzaMonth come to an end without throwing down a pescetarian pizza.
I’ve been pizza-obsessed my entire life. In my world, pizza isn’t just a meal option; it acts as both a reward and a source of assuage. But ordering a big greasy pie that’ll leave you with leftovers for dayyyyyys isn’t always a smart move.
Enter: the ever-so-glorious mini pizza.
Mini pizzas are perfection. They’re quick, easy, and fit for any chill occasion like no-fuss entertaining or kicking back solo after a long (and maybe gruelling) week.
These Mini Puttanesca Pizzas are a welcome change from your run-of-the-mill ‘za and, best of all, they pair wonderfully with a chilled glass of your fave dry white.
Is there a better way to spend a low-key Friday night?
Mini Puttanesca Pizzas!
Anchovies on pizza are a win. Albeit the first time I tried it was by accident and I was eight years old, so I wasn’t exactly impressed.
But I was eight.
Fast forward to a few years later, with a better developed palate, I learned to appreciate these small fish that pack a big bite. So, as expected, creating a puttanesca-style pizza got me all kinds of excited.
The inspiration for these little cheesy pies comes from spaghetti alla puttanesca, an Italian pasta dish where long pasta is tossed with tomatoes, garlic, briny capers, kalamata olives, and salty anchovies. My Italian husband introduced me to this style of pasta a few years back and I’ve been head-over-heels ever since. (For both of’em!)
King Oscar’s ‘chovies are gourmet-quality goodness.
As you can see, just like His Majesty’s sardines, they’re hand-packed with care.
Ever since I first brought anchovies into my kitchen (it all started with these fab crostini slathered with anchovy butter), I’ve been buying King Oscar’s fillets. Why stray from something you love and trust, right?
These fabulously salty gems are high-quality, Kosher-certified, and free of additives/preservatives.
For more delish recipes that bring King Oscar to your table, try these:
- For breakfast: Fisherman’s Huevos Rancheros
- Lunch: Mediterranean Mackerel Protein Wrap
- And dinner: Five-Ingredient Weeknight Pasta With Sardines and Tomatoes
Not sure if King Oscar products are available near you? Find out here!
Mini Puttanesca Pizzas
- 1 Pita bread
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 (or more) fillets of King Oscar's Flat Fillet Anchovies You can dice them and spread them over your pie, or simply place them down in strips. Whatever you fancy.
- 2 grape tomatoes, sliced
- 2 pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 tsp drained capers
- Fresh chopped parsley or basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place your pita on a baking sheet; evenly coat with sauce and cheese. Then sprinkle on the rest of your toppings.
- Bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes, or until the pita starts to turn a golden hue and your cheese starts to bubble.
- When done, let it sit for about 3-5 minutes to cool down (no one likes pizza burn). Garnish with freshly chopped herbs if desired. Serve with a crisp glass of white wine :)