Brunch Bagel with Sardines
This brunch bagel is smothered with whipped cream cheese, then topped with crisp veggies and King Oscar’s top-notch brisling Sardines. Healthy, wholesome, and delectable!
This post is sponsored by King Oscar | Thank you for supporting the brands I trust.
This Brunch Bagel Brings Us a Sardine Recipe for the Ages.
I’ve always loved the classic lox bagel. But in an effort to shake things up, I applied the same concept with sardines packed in extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, and capers, and I can’t begin to tell you how awesome the result was. This brunch-y bagel offers up a bougie vibe while also giving you a nice dose of Omega-3 fatty acids. It’s perfect for breakfast, lunch, or that hungry time in between. And because it’s so appealing to the eye, this bagel is perfect for entertaining.
This Sardine Recipe Starts With Quality Ingredients.
I’ll admit, I’m picky when it comes to canned fish—especially sardines. Nobody wants bad or even mediocre sardines. King Oscar has been my go-to for years. Not only are they hand-packed with quality ingredients to add to their specified flavor profile, but they’re sustainably sourced. So when I create recipes with KO’s fillets, I try to match them with fresh and wholesome ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need for these brunch bagels:
- Everything bagels or plain bagels
- Whipped cream cheese
- King Oscar’s Brisling Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, White Wine Vinegar, and Capers
- Red onion
- Red onion
- Fresh dill
- Lemon wedges
How to Make This Easy Brunch Bagel With Sardines.
Throwing a bagel together is easy, and although this one looks fancy, it’s no different. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Toast your bagel to your liking.
- Smear the bagel with a generous amount of whipped cream cheese, then top it with thinly sliced cucumbers and radishes, shaved red onion, sardines, and those big juicy capers you’ll find in the tin with the sardines.
- Finish it off with some chopped fresh dill and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Brisling Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil With White Wine Vinegar & Capers Are a Treat.
I’m obsessed with this twist on King Oscar’s brisling sardines. It’s no secret that King Oscar offers up an impressive variety of flavors—and all of them are drool-worthy—but this one stands out. The tanginess of the white wine vinegar and the brininess of the capers infuses the delicate wood-smoked fillets with so much flavor, making them perfect for any recipe: pasta, salads, sandwiches, and obviously, brunchy bagels. Of course, like any of King Oscar’s fish, they’re also tempting to eat straight from the can.
Useful Tools for This Recipe:
Recipe Tips + Tricks.
- I prefer whipped cream cheese due to the fact that it’s so light and airy, but you can use regular cream cheese or a flavored cream cheese of your preference.
- If you can’t find King Oscar Brisling Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil With White Wine Vinegar & Capers, you could use one of their other variations instead, such as lemon, cracked black pepper, or even their clean and simple sardines in extra virgin olive oil, and then add your own jarred capers.
Have You Made This Recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider leaving a STAR rating & commenting below with feedback!
You can also show off your creations on Instagram by tagging @killing__thyme
Here Are Some More Sardine Recipes You’ll Love:
- Quick Tomato Confit on Toasts with Sardines
- Instant Pot Pesto Pasta with Sardines
- Spicy Tostadas with Sardines
- Cheddar Jalapeño Gourmet Grilled Cheese with Sardines
Get the Recipe:
Brunch Bagel with Sardines
- 1 Everything bagels, or plain bagels
- 2 TBSP whipped cream cheese
- 1 tin of King Oscar Brisling Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil, White Wine Vinegar, and Capers, Use the capers from the tin to top your bagel
- Shaved red onion, Shave red onion by slicing it on the thinnest setting on a mandolin
- 1 thinly sliced cucumber, I like using mini cucumbers
- 1 thinly sliced radish
- 1 TBSP freshly chopped dill
- Lemon wedge, for serving
- Toast your bagel to your preferred level of toastiness.
- Spread a generous amount of whipped cream cheese over each bagel half, then top them with the cucumbers, radishes, red onion, sardines, and the capers from the tin with the King Oscar sardines.
- Garnishe the bagels with some chopped fresh dill and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.