Simple Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
This Instant Pot Rice Pilaf is a quick and easy recipe brimming with flavor—and it’s ready in just 20 minutes!
Side dish. Main dish. Potluck dish. This recipe covers it all!
I used to spend way too much time mulling over what to make as a starchy side. For a long time, I completely forfeited and just served extra roasted broccoli. But now, this rice pilaf is my go-to! I’m making it once a week and nobody’s tired of it. (Yet.) The best part if that it’s an Instant Pot rice recipe, which in my mind translates to the best, tastiest, quickest, fluffiest rice you can make at home. You can keep it vegetarian or throw in some protein and make it a meal! I like to buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocer, chop it up, and toss it in. Probably one of the easiest complete rice dinners you can whip up in 20 minutes.
What is rice pilaf?
In short, rice pilaf is rice that’s been lightly toasted in a pan along with sautéed vegetables and aromatics—like onion, garlic, herbs, etc.—then cooked in broth. Regular rice? Boiled in water. (Yum.) Lightly toasting the rice before cooking it in liquid infuses it with a nutty flavor and results in a firmer texture where the grains stand individually, rather than being all stuck together. It just makes for a way better dish.
How to make rice pilaf in an instant pot.
Making rice pilaf in the Instant Pot seems like it should be a given, because you’re supposed to cook everything together anyway! So why not make it quicker?
Here’s what’s in this rice pilaf:
- Olive or avocado oil
- Basmati or long grain white rice
- Cremini mushrooms
- Bell pepper
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Sea salt
Start by activating the Sauté function (low or medium) on the Instant Pot. Drizzle in the oil and let it heat up. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped scallions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic. Let the vegetables simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes. Transfer the rice into the Instant Pot, stir, and let the rice toast for about a minute or two. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, and a smidgen of salt. Add the broth and soy sauce to the pot, give everything a quick stir, and secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the valve to Sealing and cook the rice on high pressure for 4 minutes. When done, let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes. Unlock the lid, fluff the rice with a fork, and let it stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Equipment you’ll need:
Recipe tips + tricks.
- You can easily turn this dish into a meal by adding a protein. I like to get a quick and convenient ready-to-eat rotisserie chicken from the grocery story, chop it up, and toss it into the rice at the end.
- Other vegetables that go well in this recipe are broccoli, corn, peas, yellow onion, zucchini, etc. You can get creative!
- Beef broth or seafood stock could be used instead of chicken or vegetable broth.
- Leftovers are delicious! Store the rice in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- You can freeze this recipe if you need to. Place the rice into freezer bags and spread it out so it lays in a flat layer. Push any extra air out and seal the bag. The rice will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
What to serve this rice pilaf with:
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs with Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper Crusted Sea Bass
- Za’atar Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Lemon Pepper Chicken Cutlets
- Sheet Pan Turkey Sausage and Peppers
Hope you enjoy!
If you plan on making this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag us on Insta! @killing__thyme.
Get the Recipe:
Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
- 1 TBSP olive or avocado oil
- 2 cups basmati rice or long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms , Baby bella mushrooms are also great.
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced, Sweet bell peppers are best (red, yellow, orange), but green are fine, too.
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- Instant Pot
- Start up the sauté function on the Instant Pot (keep it to low or medium since hot tends to get too hot). Heat the oil in the pot.
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped scallions, bell peppers, mushrooms, and garlic. Let everything simmer for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally,
- Add the rice into the Instant Pot and let the rice toast for about a minute or two, stirring occasionally. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, and a sprinkle of salt.
- Finally, pour the broth and soy sauce into the pot.
- Give everything one last quick stir, and secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Set the valve to the Sealing position and cook the rice on high pressure for 4 minutes. When ready, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, if needed, do a quick release. Unlock the lid, fluff the rice with a fork, and let it stand for about 5 minutes before serving.