25 Tasty Canned Sardine Recipes
Sardine lovers, rejoice! We’ve got 25 canned sardine recipes that will let you enjoy your favorite fillets morning, day, and night.
Sardines Are Tiny, but Mighty!
It’s no secret that oily fish are a best choice when it comes to heart health—and canned sardines are nutritional powerhouses!
They’re high in long-chain omega-3 fatty acids which help prevent heart disease thanks to their anti-inflammatory properties. They can also reduce the risk of blood clots and help to lower blood pressure.
A lot of canned sardine fanatics are happy to eat them straight out of the can with some crackers, and that’s cool.
But in an attempt to boast how versatile these little fillets are, we’ve collected 25 canned sardine recipes that will give you ideas for any time of the day.
4 Tasty Ways to Start Your Day With Canned Sardines.
- Brunch Bagel with Sardines. This bagel is smothered with whipped cream cheese, then topped with crisp veggies and canned Sardines. Healthy, wholesome, and delectable!
- Breakfast Egg and Tomato Sardine Sandwich. Who doesn’t love a breakfast sandwich? This one is eggy and drippy and packed with Omega-3s.
- Easy Fisherman’s Eggs. These Easy Fisherman’s Eggs are protein-packed thanks to canned sardines, eggs, and fresh veggies. Serve them with arugula and toast for a complete breakfast or brunch!
- Fisherman’s Huevos Rancheros. This recipe takes the concept of Fisherman’s Eggs and marries it with the beloved huevos rancheros, and it’s a WIN.
5 Glorious Canned Sardine Lunches That Serve as a Fab Pick-Me-Up.
- Green Goddess Pita with Sardines. This pita is super filling and refreshing with an easy homespun Green Goddess dressing you’ll CRAVE.
- Cheddar Jalapeño Gourmet Grilled Cheese with Sardines. Because grown ups like grilled cheese sandwiches, too! This one is ooey gooey perfection with a little kick from the jalapeños.
- Greek Pita with Sardines. All of the Greek flavors we love rolled up into a wholesome and satisfying pita with canned sardines.
- Spicy Tostadas with Sardines. Crispy corn tortillas are topped with refried beans, quick-pickled onions, juicy tomatoes, cotija cheese, and brisling sardines that have been packed with punchy jalapeño peppers.
- Spicy Sardine Salad Sandwich. Tuna salad can take a backseat for a while, because these sardine salad sandwiches are DELISH.
8 Ways to Put Canned Sardines on Your Dinner Table.
- Instant Pot Pesto Pasta with Sardines. A quick and simple 15-minute pasta packed with nutrients! It’s the perfect weeknight fix.
- Seafood Stuffed Peppers with Sardines. These low carb seafood stuffed peppers are brimming with fragrant basmati rice, sautéed veggies, meaty shrimp, and sardines in tomato sauce.
- Tex Mex Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Sardines. Tex Mex Stuffed Zucchini Boats with Sardines give you a healthy dose of protein, fiber, and Omega-3s.
- Instant Pot Spanish Rice with Sardines. Rice is pressure cooked in broth with tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and a blend of aromatic spices. Once the rice is ready, fold in some delicious sardines for protein.
- Easy Fish Tacos with Sardines. This recipe is much healthier than your usual deep-fried fish tacos! There’s no cooking required and it’s ready in minutes.
- Dirty Rice with Sardines. Get your tastebuds ready: this Dirty Rice is a delicious spin on the classic Louisiana dish with shrimp and meaty sardine fillets.
- Lemon Pepper Pasta with Sardines. Bright and lemony is the name of the game here. This 30-minute pasta is tossed with garlic, lemon juice, arugula, and peppery sardines.
- Crispy Fish Po’Boy Sandwiches. These Crispy Fish Po’boy Sandwiches are slathered with lemon tarragon mayo and stuffed with tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, and homemade fish cakes made from boneless and skinless sardines.
8 Canned Sardine Appetizers Made to Share.
- Greens and Beans with Sardines. Greens and Beans, but make it with an extra punch of protein!
- Lemon and Dill Pinwheel Sandwiches with Sardines. These brightly flavored pinwheel sandwiches bring sardines to a whole new level.
- Quick Tomato Confit on Toasts with Sardines. Easy peasy toasts with tomato confit topped with sardines become a wholesome and nutritious starter.
- Greek Pinwheels with Sardines. A different kind of pinwheel! These are buttery and golden and filled with Greek flavors with pesto, olives, pine nuts, feta, and Mediterranean-style canned sardines!
- Spring Snap Pea and Radish Canapés with Sardines. Fresh baguette slices with lemony anchovy butter and topped with crisp radishes, sweet peas, tender brisling sardines, and fresh dill for the perfect spring appetizer.
- Easy Stuffed Mushrooms with Spicy Sardines. Plump mushroom caps stuffed with garlic, cream cheese, pickled jalapeños, and sardines, and topped with a crumby coating and baked to golden perfection.
- Bang Bang Fish Sliders. These sweet and spicy Bang Bang Fish Sliders are everything you love about Bang Bang Fish Tacos in tiny burger form!
- Crispy Fish Croquettes. Golden crispy fish croquettes made up with canned sardines. Serve them with a tangy mustard sauce for a little extra oomph!
Did You Find This Round-up Useful?
If you enjoyed this collection of canned sardine recipes, please let us know by leaving feedback in the comments section below.
You can also show off your creations on Instagram by tagging @killing__thyme