Creamy Greek Pasta Salad with King Oscar Mackerel
This creamy Greek pasta salad is tossed with fresh veggies and King Oscar’s protein-rich Mediterranean-style mackerel for a summer side you’ll want to eat as a meal.
This post is sponsored by King Oscar | Thank you for supporting the brands I trust.
One of our favorite things about summer? The seasonal potluck dishes. Cold pasta salads, creamy potato salads, refreshing finger foods—all that shebang. Sadly, with a pandemic blocking our fun, potlucks haven’t been a choice this year. But we’ve decided to indulge anyway :) This creamy Greek pasta salad is tossed with protein-rich mackerel from King Oscar making it the perfect quick lunch, dinner side, or snack. (We’ve been shamelessly snacking on it every time we open the fridge.)
This creamy Greek pasta salad is just way too easy.
We’re not sure what’s more beautiful about this salad—the bright and fresh colors or the fact that it takes such little effort to make. And if you have a summer vegetable garden in bloom, this salad will let you put those juicy tomatoes and crunchy cucumbers to use!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bow-tie pasta, or another kind of short pasta (macaroni, rotini, etc.)
- Grape tomatoes
- Black olives
- Red onion
- King Oscar Mediterranean Mackerel in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Fresh oregano
- Fresh dill
Here’s what you’ll do:
Cook the pasta as per the directions on the package. When done, drain and run the pasta under cool water; set aside.
Place mayonnaise in a small bowl along with the red wine vinegar and chopped fresh oregano and dill. Crack the container for the mackerel open and drizzle the extra virgin olive oil from the container in with the mayonnaise while whisking with a fork. Continue to whisk the mixture until it’s well blended. (Most dressings like this call for a bit of extra virgin olive oil, so this is a great way to utilize what King Oscar is already providing for us! Plus, it’s extra flavorful.)
King Oscar’s mackerel will elevate ANY dish.
True story. King Oscar’s line of mackerel is prime tinned seafood. With a choice of lemon, jalapeño, extra virgin olive oil, and Mediterranean, creativity is endless—and the addiction is real.
In this recipe, we used King Oscar’s Mediterranean-style mackerel to maximize that Greek goodness. Rich in protein, this mackerel is packed in pure olive oil with sliced olives, bell pepper, garlic, and herbs of Provence, which all complement the fresh ingredients included. The good news is that if you can’t find King Oscar’s Mediterranean variation, you can easily sub-in another variety, like lemon or extra virgin olive oil! Or check out Amazon.
King Oscar’s products are kosher-certified for quality and are MSC-certified for sustainability.
Love mackerel? Try these other recipes!
- Sesame Ginger Rice Bowl with Mackerel
- Loaded Sheet Pan Nachos
- Mexican Rice Bowl with Mackerel
- Lemon Mackerel Caesar Wraps
Hope you enjoy!
If you plan on making this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag us on Insta! @killing__thyme.
- 2 cans of King Oscar's Mediterranean-Style Mackerel (do not drain)
- 1 lb bow tie pasta or other short-noodle pasta
- 2 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced or 1 cup thinly sliced regular-sized cucumber
- 1 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced/finely chopped
- 1 TBSP capers (optional)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, plus more if desired.
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped oregano
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped dill
- Oil from the cans of mackerel
- Cook the pasta as per the directions on the package. When done, drain, rinse under cool water. Give the pasta a good shake to rid of excess water, and set aside. While the pasta cooks, you can prepare your other ingredients.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, and fresh herbs until well combined. Slowly drizzle the oil from the cans of mackerel into the mixture while whisking with a fork until the oil is incorporated into the dressing. Set aside.
- Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the noodles and toss to evenly coat. Then, toss in the sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, onions, and mackerel into the pasta. Gently toss to combine all of the ingredients; break the mackerel into flakes as you go. Add a bit more mayo if you want a creamier consistency.
- Garnish with fresh dill and serve, or refrigerate until serving time. This salad keeps in the fridge for about 3 days.