Cocktails/ Collaboration/ Food

Spiked Strawberry Lemonade Fizz

A year ago, almost to the day, I shared this ruby-hued Spiked Hibiscus Iced Tea with you. And just like then, I’m still groaning about Mother Nature being a confused mess.

Has Spring ever really sprung on time?

Luckily! The flurries we experienced just two days ago didn’t deter me from feeling inspired for this season’s Connecting Over Cocktails collaboration, and whipping up these brightly-flavored Spiked Strawberry Lemonade Fizz drinks seemed appropriate.

If fancier cocktails are more your jam, be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post and check out what my cocktail wizard pals have been slingin’.

Spiked Strawberry Lemonade Fizz

I love seasonal drinks—even if I *do* have the booze palate of an 18-year-old college student.

Most of my friends have the booze palate of a sophisticated 30-something; my sister-in-law has the booze palate of an 80-year-old man; and I’m just over here splashing blueberry vodka and lemon juice into club soda.

I like to keep my drinks unfussy.

You see, I’m a dreadful mixologist when it comes to upscale drinks. Anytime I’ve attempted to muddle berries or rattle something in a shaker, the result has been a murky glass of broken dreams.

This Spiked Strawberry Lemonade Spritzer is an easy blend of strawberry vodka, lemonade, sparkling water, and sliced fresh strawberries. Delicious, simple, but still inspired.

And of course, for added “Dana” factor, always serve with a fancy paper straw.

With this blend, think Mother’s Day brunch; Easter festivities, wedding showers, or any type of patio jams. I could see myself downing a glass of this after a long afternoon of gardening and weed-pulling. It fits any (and no) occasion.

Requiring minimal ingredients, this recipe calls for 2:1 parts sparkling water and lemonade—which you can easily adjust to your preference—making big batches for a large crowd easy.

Connecting Over Cocktails

Connecting Over Cocktails started in June of 2016. Myself and a few fellow Food Bloggers of Canada members chatted about how great it would be to one day meet in person, chat, and nerd out about food—over cocktails. The blogging relationships and friendships we’ve created with one another is something special. So, to fill that void in the meantime, we decided to roll with a cocktail collaboration. We had so much fun with it the first time that it became a seasonal thing.

We try to stick with a theme each season, and hi, I fumbled this time around.

The plan was to incorporate basil into this drink, but Tilly ate my basil plant the night before shooting these photos.

(My cat loves basil. Every time I go kiss her she smells like a Caprese salad.)

If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations.

Spiked Strawberry Lemonade Fizz

This refreshing blend calls for just four ingredients and is ready in a snap. It's also easy to turn into a big batch cocktail for brunch or happy hour.

Course Drinks

• Handful of ice
  • 1.5 oz Strawberry vodka
  • 1 cup Lemonade
  • 2 cups Sparkling water Amp things up and use a flavored sparkling water!
  • Sliced strawberries
  • Granulated sugar for a sugared rim; optional

1. If rimming your glass, glide a damp napkin around the rim and dip the rim into some granulated sugar.

2. Put a handful of ice into a tall glass, then add the sliced strawberries. Pour in the vodka, lemonade, and sparkling water. Give it a stir with a stir stick and sip away!

3. For an herbaceous flare, add some fresh mint or fresh basil to your glass along with the sliced strawberries.

This recipe is part of the #FBCConnectingOverCocktails collaboration.

Be sure to check out these beautiful cocktails!

(Due to different timezones, some posts may not be live yet. Be sure to check back!)

Spring Equinox Kiwi Elderflower Smash | JustineCelina.com

Lilac Violet Wedding Cocktail | CulturEatz

The Mastical Maia | Dish n’ the Kitchen

Grapefruit Lavender Spring Blossom Cocktail | Cooking in My Genes

9 Easy Summer Drinks To Make You Look Like A Rockstar | Chaos Edit
    August 9, 2018 at 10:48 pm […] Source: Killing Thyme […]
    9 Easy Summer Drinks To Make You Look Like A Rockstar | Chaos Edit
    April 20, 2018 at 12:39 am […] Spiked Strawberry Lemonade Fizz Source: Killing Thyme […]
    Jessica
    March 28, 2018 at 2:35 pm Beautiful post Dana! LOVE the strawberry-lemonade combination - makes it feel like Summertime (can we just skip the weird wintery spring weather!?) Cheers to another lovely collab for Connecting Over Cocktails!
    Amy Nash
    March 27, 2018 at 5:36 pm These are so beautifully photographed and I love that you garnished them with the trimmings from hulling your strawberries! What a fun idea! I also love your idea of using mint leaves for a garnish as well! Such a fun drink!
    Annemarie
    March 26, 2018 at 7:42 pm This looks so refreshing! It has me in the mood for summer.
    Marlynn | UrbanBlissLife
    March 26, 2018 at 7:19 pm These cocktails are STUNNING! And they sound right up my alley. Perfect for one of the moms' brunches I host or just a nice Sunday afternoon. Too funny about your cat -- she has good taste if she likes basil! ;)
    Dawn - Girl Heart Food
    March 26, 2018 at 6:47 pm This is almost too pretty too drink....almost ;) So funny about your cat liking basil!! My pup loves broccoli and cauliflower...he is not much of a fruit lover, but loves veggies, lol.
    Karen @ Seasonal Cravings
    March 26, 2018 at 6:30 pm I can't stop staring at those strawberries and how you cut them! Genius girl. I too am unfussy with my cocktails and this looks like something I want on my Spring Break! And seriously bring on the warm weather ASAP.
    Claudia Lamascolo
    March 26, 2018 at 5:28 pm What stunning photos. I really love the floral in the glass and the presentation is spot on. What a pretty way to drink this!
    Amanda
    March 26, 2018 at 1:21 pm First of all, your photos are gorgeous. Simply stunning! Secondly, I literally laughed out loud when I read your sentence about the "murky glass of broken dreams." SO been there!! I would love to be sipping on one of these spiked fizzes right now and pretending that I'm wearing flip flops instead of multiple layers of wool. :)
      March 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm Thanks, Amanda. Haha. Flip flops sound AH-MAZING right about now. Winter needs to pack it in, because I'm done.
    Bernice Hill
    March 26, 2018 at 10:40 am Ha!! I'm just giggling over your cat's choice of breath freshener. I guess it could be worse, lol. I was wondering where the 'herbal' factored into this cocktail but now I know. The photos are fab, Dana and I love the creative way you've garnished the cocktails. Sometimes simple is better, especially when you're having several!
      March 26, 2018 at 6:35 pm Thanks, Bernice. Tilly definitely screwed me on the herbaceous spin I had in mind; she's lucky she's cute :)
    Tina
    March 26, 2018 at 7:33 am This drink looks amazing and your stories are hilarious! I suppose if you are going to grow basil in your garden you are going to have to cat-proof it.
      March 26, 2018 at 6:41 pm Thanks, Tina. My basil plant is actually an indoor plant, and Tilly is an indoor cat. I've been able to pet-proof most things, and she's usually prety good around the basil, but she has her days ;)
    Tracy Koslicki
    March 25, 2018 at 11:15 pm Hahahaaha! Omg I am the SAME way with my liquor palate. My husband loves all these sophisticated scotches and bourbons and I think they all taste the same... ha. This sounds SO refreshing. And oh man I wish I could teach my dog to eat basil, I'd much prefer him to smell like caprese! :P
      March 26, 2018 at 6:43 pm Thanks, Tracy. And ha! Yeah, basil definitely isn't the worst smell to come from a pet's mouth. Also! Scotches and bourbons really do taste the same: like a headache waiting to happen.
    Lisa | Garlic & Zest
    March 25, 2018 at 4:07 pm My husband and I just spent the entire weekend in the garden, pulling weeds, removing plants that are beyond saving -- as a result, my back is KILLING ME and my husband is moaning over his aching hamstrings. Clearly we need a libation to relax our aching bodies and soothe the soreness -- and this looks like IT. I've never tried strawberry vodka before, but I like the sound of it , especially with the sparkling water to add fizz and cut the sweetness a bit. This sounds like a refreshing spring sipper -- and since it's 80° here right now, I'm ready for a large glass!
    Evelyne CulturEatz
    March 25, 2018 at 10:36 am Well, you had me a strawberry vodka. The cocktail looks amazing! and does not look like it was made by "an 18-year-old college student" lol. Yes, spring's arrival has been in cold winter conditions here too, brrr.
    sarah
    March 24, 2018 at 10:59 pm Your cat ate your basil? omg lol. Also- there is a stinking BLIZZARD outside my window right now. It's almost April- doesn't the weather know? It doesn't care. I need this drink to help me pretend it's spring!
      March 26, 2018 at 6:47 pm Girl, this undecided Spring bullshit has me feeling like I never left Canada.
    Kathy McDaniel
    March 24, 2018 at 9:47 pm ....a murky glass of broken dreams - hahaha I love it!!!This is my kind of cocktail - simple, beautiful, tasty and uncomplicated. What else could one ask for? This is a drink I will make over and over again. Cheers!
    Justine | JustineCelina.com
    March 24, 2018 at 9:39 pm LOL, "Anytime I’ve attempted to muddle berries or rattle something in a shaker, the result has been a murky glass of broken dreams." Man, you crack me up! But this spiked lemonade looks just as delicious as it is pretty. Sometimes simple is best! Beautiful post Dana -- and cheers to another fun collab!
      March 26, 2018 at 7:08 pm Thanks, Justine! Haha. That was the only way I could describe some of the spiked messes I've come up with in the past while experimenting. Flavored vodka was made for people like me who can't infuse their own damn drinks ;) If we ever get to hang out, you can show me your wizardry! Cheers, girl. I always look forward to these collaborations <3
    SPRING EQUINOX KIWI ELDERFLOWER SMASH + PRICKLY PEAR VODKA GIVEAWAY! - JustineCelina
    March 24, 2018 at 7:53 pm […] Dana at Killing Thyme’s Spiked Strawberry Lemonade Fizz […]
    Gloria
    March 24, 2018 at 10:14 am What a pretty drink. This is brunch perfect, party perfect....and special occasion perfect too. I cannot wait for fresh berry season (and warm sunny weather). These would also be great for all the backyard BBQ this summer....a fun way to enjoy the afternoon.
    Leanne | Crumb Top Baking
    March 23, 2018 at 8:21 pm This beverage looks pretty sophisticated to me! I'm a beer or wine kinda gal most of the time, but during the summer, I love to change things up with fancier drinks! This one will be perfect for sipping on my back deck. Simple but fancy! Love it!
      March 26, 2018 at 7:10 pm Thanks, Leanne! I love beer and wine too. Angry Orchard's hard ciders make me happiest, though I try to take it easy on those because hello, sugar. But yes! Flavored vodka always comes to the rescue on those dog days of summer.
    Cheryl
    March 23, 2018 at 8:12 pm Oh my goodness, these are just so pretty!! You had me giggling about having the booze palate of an 18 year old college student - I wish I was drinking such lovely things back in those days! I'll be making these as soon as the sun shows up, thanks for sharing! :)
    Vanessa Russell
    March 23, 2018 at 7:30 pm I am totally with you in the easy to make drinks! This looks super refreshing and I bet is absolutely PERFECT for the warmer patio days ahead!
    georgie
    March 23, 2018 at 6:48 pm these look beautiful!! so fresh, and light, lovely for spring!
    Adriana Lopez Martin
    March 23, 2018 at 6:34 pm Cheers you got me at spiked! And then using strawberries which are now in season. Lovely drink for anytime. Your photos are amazing congrats!
    Chris
    March 23, 2018 at 6:15 pm Your photography gets me every time! So gorgeous! Not to mention how delicious this lemonade fizz looks!!
      March 26, 2018 at 7:19 pm Every time? Aw man. Thanks, Chris! That means a heck of a lot, especially from someone who's slaying at food photos themselves.
    Marie - NotEnoughCinnamon.com
    March 23, 2018 at 6:08 pm Oh my god these are so pretty!! I love what you did with the strawberry tops! This combo of flavors sound perfect too, strawberry vodka is sooo good ;)
    Veena Azmanov
    March 23, 2018 at 5:22 pm Oh how wonderful this one is Spiked Strawberry Lemonade Fizz! This is the perfect drink in the summer! I definitely want to try it. Thanks for the great recipe. Pinned for later!
    Charlotte
    March 23, 2018 at 4:22 pm This is exactly what my weekend needs. Such a pretty cocktail!!
    Julia
    March 23, 2018 at 3:40 pm I love this post! From your 18-year old palate to spring not sprung to caprese-smelling cat :) The drink looks so beautiful and delicious! I love any drink that is fizzy! And also, if you think that March 21st is not time for Spring because it's still cold then you should be really surprised that in Russia Spring officially starts on March 1st :)
    The Mastical Maia – A Springtime Elixir – Dish 'n' the Kitchen