Healthy Burrito Bowl Recipe
This Burrito Bowl Recipe is so satisfying! It’s the perfect healthy lunch option and, best of all, it’s easy to throw together.
A Burrito Bowl You’ll Want Over and Over and Over Again.
I’ve always been a huge fan of Chipotle’s burrito bowl. Simple fresh ingredients—what’s not to love? But with that I realized I could be making my own burrito bowl recipe at home.
The ingredients are accessible and leave you with an opportunity for make-ahead lunches! You can also get creative, so I’m excited to bring this one to you.
I’ll tell you all about what I typically put in my burrito bowl, but I’ll also leave you with some suggestions and inspiration to make it your own.
What Goes Into a Burrito Bowl?
Whatever you’d put into a burrito, you can put into a burrito bowl. Typically with a burrito you’re getting a seasoned meat filling, beans, and salsa wrapped snug in a flour tortilla. Of course, it’s common to add cheese, rice, veggies, guacamole, and sour cream.
So, imagine taking all of these elements (minus the flour tortilla) and throwing them into a bowl. Brilliant, right?
Ingredients for My Burrito Bowl Recipe.
Here are my essentials:
- Rice. I like to keep things extra light and easy, so I use one of those ready-to-heat rice pouches. Yes, the ones you zap in the microwave. There’s no shame in the convenience game in my mind.
- Black beans. Again, I go the convenient route and used canned. If you’d prefer to soak and cook your own beans, you can absolutely do that.
- Pico de gallo. I love using fresh pico de gallo because you’re getting a nice medley of tomatoes, onions, and peppers, which covers so many bases. If your preference is salsa, or simply using cut up tomatoes, go for it!
- Shredded cheese. A shredded Mexican or taco blend is my jam. You could also go above and beyond and crumble yourself some Cotija.
- Chicken. Any cooked chicken works here. I go back and forth from grilling and chopping my own to using rotisserie chicken from the hot bar at the grocery store. Anything goes. You could also cook yourself some taco meat for a meaty filling, or go vegetarian and skip the meat all together!
- Red onion. I love adding some extra red onion for a little zip.
- Avocado. Chopped avocado or guacamole are both totally acceptable here.
- Taco seasoning. I like to toss my chicken in a bit of taco seasoning before adding it to the bowl, and then I sprinkle a little over the black beans, too.
- Plain Greek yogurt. I’ve gotten into the habit of using plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream because I like to add a lot of it, and it makes me hate myself less. If you prefer sour cream, do that.
- Hot sauce. My go-to hot sauces for any Mexican or Tex Mex include Valentina, Cholula, or El Yucateco.
- Lime wedge. For that necessary spritz of refreshing lime juice.
- Chili flakes. I like my burrito bowls to have a kick, so in addition to the hot sauce, I sprinkle some chili flakes over it all, too. This is optional, of course.
- Fresh parsley. You’re probably thinking, Why parsley? Why not cilantro? And that’s because I’m one of those people whose genetically predisposed to hating cilantro. To me, it tastes like soap. So, parsley it is! If cilantro is your thing, use that instead.
- Queso. If I happen to have queso on hand and I’m feeling it, I’ll swap this in and leave out the shredded cheese.
- Jalapeño. Fresh or pickled, both options are delicious. Fresh will give you more heat and more of that earthy pepper flavor, whereas pickled will be a little milder and offer up a briny, salty punch.
- Shredded or chopped lettuce. Sometime I love to add a nice cool crunch, and lettuce is perfect for that. Or if you have greens to use up, this is a great opportunity to do so!
- Corn. Fresh roasted or grilled corn cut straight off the cob really does taste better, but we don’t always have time for that. So frozen will do!
The Gist on How to Make a Burrito Bowl.
- Start by cooking anything that needs to be cooked (rice, chicken). When the chicken is done being cooked, you can chop it or shred it, place it into a small mixing bowl, and sprinkle in some taco seasoning. Toss to coat, and set the bowl aside. If you’re using pre-cooked chicken, just toss it in a bowl with the seasoning.
- Prepare your other ingredients by doing your chopping, etc., and have your ingredients at the ready.
- Grab a large bowl and put your rice into it first. Then add the meat, beans, cheese, pico de gallo, onion, and avocado. Sprinkle some taco seasoning over the beans. Plop a nice dollop of plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream) somewhere on top and sprinkle some chili flakes over your bowl if you wish. Then hit it with a nice hot sauce for an extra kick. Garnish with some fresh chopped parsley or cilantro and serve it with a lime wedge.
Useful Tools for This Recipe:
Recipe Tips + Tricks.
- To keep this as quick and unfussy as possible, use ready ingredients including ready-to-heat rice pouches, canned black beans, and store-bought pico de gallo. If you prefer to cook your own rice, beans, and make your own pico de gallo, you can do that! Just store your batches separately in the fridge for the week for easy bowl making.
- Cooked chicken is my protein of choice, but you can use any you’d like. Leftover taco meat would work beautifully.
Have You Made This Recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider leaving a STAR rating & commenting below with feedback!
You can also show off your creations on Instagram by tagging @killing__thyme
Other Hearty and Healthy Bowl Meals:
- Sesame Ginger Rice Bowl with Mackerel
- Healthy Southwest Tuna Bowl
- Taco Grain Bowl with Chickpeas
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Hummus
Get the Recipe:
Healthy Burrito Bowl
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup prepared pico de gallo or chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cooked black beans
- 2 TBSP shredded cheese, more if you'd like! (I always add more.)
- 1 TBSP taco seasoning
- 1 TBSP finely sliced or diced red onion
- 1/2 avocado, sliced or chopped
- 1 TBSP plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 TBSP fresh chopped parsley or cilantro
- Lime wedge
- Sprinkle of chili flakes
- Drizzle of hot sauce
- Cook anything that needs to be cooked, like your rice or chicken. When the chicken cooked, chop it or shred it, then pop it into a small mixing bowl. Sprinkle some taco seasoning over it and toss to coat; set it aside.
- Prep the other ingredients, chopping your veggies and shredding your cheese, etc. Then grab yourself a personal-sized serving bowl and put your cooked rice into.
- Top the rice with the chicken, beans, cheese, pico de gallo, onion, and avocado.
- Sprinkle some taco seasoning over the beans and add a generous drop of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream on top; add chili flakes for an extra kick along with some hot sauce.
- Finish your bowl off with some fresh chopped parsley or cilantro, and serve it with a lime wedge.
224 Comments on “Healthy Burrito Bowl Recipe”
I live for burrito bowls and always looking for a new way to mix it up! This was perfect!
Awesome to hear, Whitney!
Aww yeah. This is what I’m talking about. I made this last night, and it was fantastic. I’m avoiding empty carbs, and this was a great way to get a burrito without the tortilla.
Yes! Whenever I make this I think, why do I even ever get the tortilla? haha
Enjoyed this for dinner last night and it was a savory success! Easy, hearty and packed with flavor; definitely, a new favorite recipe!
I’m really happy to hear it!
Immediately obsessed with this healthy option! Making it again this week.
I love to hear it!
This is my ideal lunch. It’s perfect for using up roast chicken and so healthy and refreshing too. I make it often!
Happy to hear this!
This is definitely the perfect way to use up leftovers. The only thing I needed to buy from the store was the lime!
This had all of my favorite flavors in it. I didn’t have an avocado, so I substituted with some guac. It was still amazing!
This is a bowl of allllll the best things. So tasty!
So many good things here.
I love this idea! Chipotle’s burrito bowl is one of my favorite indulgences.
Oh yes, me too!
This was delicious. Really easy to make, and adaptable too.
Thanks, Dannii! Glad you enjoyed it.
Packed full of flavors!! This is seriously amazing!!
Yay, thank you Toni!
Delicious & nutritious! Perfect for lunch or dinner! A must-try for health-conscious foodies!
I love all the incredible flavors in this chicken burrito bowl!
Thank you :)
What a delicious combination of flavours and this is perfect for using up leftover roast chicken too.
Yes! A great dish for using most leftover proteins, really.
I have everything I need for this dish, can’t wait to make it this weekend! My family is going to love this!
Keep me posted ok?
This was seriously a great way to use up some leftover chicken we had. I got three burrito bowl lunches out of it and I’m obsessed!
This is such a delicious dinner bowl, loved how easy the recipe is.
I’m glad, Savita!
I love burrito bowls. So fresh and tasty and great for lunch!
Love how easy this recipe is. It’s perfect for our family!
That’s great! :)
This was so easy to make and so delicious! Taking leftovers for work today. Thanks for the great recipe!
You’re very welcome!
wow this Burrito Bowl Recipe is so satisfying and healthy. I could eat this everyday!
I felt the same, haha.
Loved this burrito bowl. Just what I was looking for lunch today.
It’s a great lunch option! Glad you enjoyed it.
It is so easy, healthy and satisfying burrito bowl, loved the recipe.
Love this colorful and healthy burrito bowl. Thanks for sharing.
MmmmMMMMM! This recipe is so good. I actually made it over the weekend, and it is fantastic. It really is a burrito with no tortilla.
Awesome! I’m so glad, Beth :)
One of my favorite lunches!
So glad, Paula!
perfect! especially because it is low in carbs! def gonna try it next week! thanks for the recipe!
Hope you love it!
hands down, one of my favorite lunch bowls; it was so tasty! Thanks for the recipe!
Excellent! You’re welcome, Tavo.
This is so good! I love burrito bowls and this recipe has so much variety! I love that I can make it exactly how I want it!
Easily adaptable recipes are the best recipes ;)
Perfect for a low carb lunch. So vibrant and healthy.
This was way too good! I buy a rotisserie chicken every week to make lunches and this is my new go to. So healthy and filling.
I love rotisserie chickens for exactly that purpose. Glad you found us!
Ok no more takeout for me! This was so good and so satisfying! Will make again!
Awesome to hear, Liz!
I love the flexibility of ingredients for this burrito bowl! You gave me great ideas and can’t wait to make my next one. I’ll be sure to include Greek yogurt for the crema. Thanks for the recipe!
Oh wow! Such a fantastic lunch! All the flavors sound amazing and I love the variety of color.
I made these burrito bowls for dinner last night and they were incredible! Way better than Chipotle!
Wow, thanks Annie!
I love when I can find tasty and healthy recipes that the entire family will love. I highly recommend these burrito bowls.
The bowl looks beautiful… Burrito in a bowl is just my kind of meal – so colorful and refreshing!
Holy yum! All my favorite Mexican flavors in one bowl, and it’s healthy too!
It sure is!
Such a great combo of textures and flavors! I love how easy this is to throw together, too.
This is exactly what I needed! Thank you for the healthy option. Can’t wait to make this again, it’s perfect for lunches!
We love it for lunches!
Exactly what I was looking for a healthy version! Love burrito bowls!
They’re great :)
I love these burrito bowls! thank you for sharing!
You’re welcome :)
I love all the great flavors and textures in this burrito bowl!
Thank you so much! The flavors are perfect.
So glad I ran across this today. Trying to eat out a lot less and the local Mexcian restaurants our one of our fave takeout places. Burrito bowls for dinner!
This is my go-to for meal prepping my lunch for work. I make this several times a month cause its more healthier than buying at the restaurant!
I’m so glad you’re enjoying it!
Outstanding recipe thanks so much! tasted so much good!
You’re welcome :)
Loved this burrito bowl! It was fresh, full of flavor, and easy to put together. Making it again. Thank you!
You’re welcome! Glad you enjoyed it, Tavo.
This is just what I was looking for! I always eat so much during the holidays this will be fantastic to help me get back on track.
I hear you, Ned. My body is yelling at me right now: GIVE ME VEGETABLES. Time to bring balance back to my life, lol.
Such a fantastic lunch! This bowl looks so beautiful. I especially love all those vibrant colors and flavors.
We’re definitely eating the rainbow with this one ;)
I made this for lunch today and it was so tasty and satisfying!! This is definitely going to be making a regular appearance for lunch and probably also for dinner from now on!
Excited to hear this!
I’ve made this twice this week for my lunch. I love burrito bowls and making them is way better than buying them at the fast food joints!
Yes! I love hearing this. They’re so easy to make and work wonderfully for lunch meal prepping.
So easy, SO good!! Will make again. :)
I’m grateful for a healthy recipe this time of year! Thank you so much for this delicious one!
Me too, Ned! I love the indulgence of the holidays but it’s definitely starting to make me feel sluggish, haha.
So many wonderful ingredients in one bowl. Each bite has a bunch of flavors that just burst in your mouth. So good!
Glad you enjoy it!
Easy and super delicious!! Thank you for this recipe!
You’re very welcome!
Amazing! Why go out when you could have this masterpiece at home. So yummy!
Your Healthy Burrito Bowl is a must!…And a regular starting in January! Thanks for sharing!
Haha yes! I’m already planning for my healthier January eating. This will be involved!
Loving all the flavors in this healthy burrito bowl. It’s perfect for those who love all the stuff inside and not the tortilla.
This burrito bowl is calling out my name for lunch today! And healthy is a bonus!
Definitely a nourishing option!
Love how healthy and delicious this burrito bowl is. Thanks for sharing.
What a great meal. I have not had takeout for 3 years!! No need to when you can make this sort of meal right in your own kitchen.
I love burrito bowls so much that I often eat them for breakfast! The tortilla is just a “holder” anyway, and I’m all about cutting out unnecessary carbs. These ingredients are so varied and look so delicious!
I love that you eat them for breakfast! Now I’m thinking, omitting chicken and adding scrambled eggs to make this a brekky burrito bowl could just be a thing. A beautiful, genius thing! And you’re so right. It truly is just a “holder”! Love that perspective. Makes me miss it less.
Such a great option for lunch at home during the week. Thank you!
I agree! It’s in my regular rotation.
This burrito bowl is perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
I’m glad you think so!
This is my go to when making a burrito bowl for lunch. All I do is throw them all together in a bowl and munch down! Its very delicious and I know what I’m putting in.
Yup! Love being able to control the portions of everything :)
This was such a hearty and healthy dinner option for a busy weeknight! Easily, a new favorite; my whole family loved it!
I’m so glad to hear this!
What an awesome recipe! This will definitely be my go to Burrito Bowl recipe come January. Thanks for sharing!
Ah yes, you too with the January health kick huh? This will be awesome! I’ll be there with ya ;)
I’ve recently cut out carbs and have been on the lookout for healthier recipes that fit my diet. This is perfect!
I am a big fan of these burrito bowls. Really like all that it is customizable to the likes of each person in the family.
Definitely a plus with these!
I am not a huge fan of bread (shocking, I know!) so I actually prefer my burritos served in a bowl. This recipe is exactly spot-on in flavor and texture. Very versatile, too.
I wish I wasn’t a fan of bread… haha ;)
Omg this burrito bowl is so amazing! i’m still drooling over this right now
I love burrito bowls and this recipe was so easy to make ahead for lunch! Definitely adding this to my list to make again. Thanks!
Awesome Lyn, happy to hear it!
Bowls like this are my staple dinners – this looks and sounds absolutely amazing! Loving all the flavors and textures so much!
Great flavors, textures and easy to make. This is my kind of burrito bowl.
Me too ;)
We made this for a busy weeknight and loved it. We feel so healthy and satisfied.
Healthy and satisfied, I like it!
I love this burrito bowl! Made it for lunch today and it was super satisfying and flavorful!
Great to hear!
These burrito bowls are the Bomb! The flavors are so good together, and I love making a tasty, easy meal for my family that’s also nutritious.
Glad you liked them, Liza!
This was packed with flavor and made easy lunches for the week! Thank you so much for sharing!
You’re so welcome!
Such beautiful colours and flavours in this bowl. Perfect for lunch or a picnic.
Yum! I love everything about this burrito bowl. All the flavors and textures. It’s fabulous!
Glad to hear it!
Everything about this bowl of goodness was calling my name. It was so good and refreshing for lunch today.
I’m so glad!
Delicious, healthy and nutritious combination of ingredients. This Bowl is a total feast of health and goodness. Perfect lunch any day.
I love everything about this burrito bowl. Great flavors, easy to make and healthier than a regular burrito.
Haha yes, much healthier! But I definitely encourage indulging in an actual burrito once in a while ;)
My absolute favorite lunch. Healthy, easy to prep, and has all of my favorite flavors
All my favourite flavours in a burrito bowl. Delicious and healthy too.
This burrito bowl was the perfect solution to my Mexican cravings! I made it for supper last night and I can hardly wait to have the leftovers for lunch today.
Ahh, yes! The leftovers are fantastic.
Perfect healthy dinner for using up leftover roast chicken and this will be delicious with leftover turkey too.
Yes, turkey will be great with this.
Oh wow, this is so delicious. My family devoured it!
Awesome to hear!
This was such a perfect blend of flavors and textures; worthy of a restaurant, indeed! Definitely, a new favorite recipe!
This is such a tasty, satisfying combination of flavors and textures. It keeps me going all afternoon, too.
It’s definitely a nice pick-me-up!
Enjoyed this for dinner last night and it was a success all around the table! Quick, easy and delicious; a great meal for a busy weeknight, indeed!
I’m so glad!
This burrito bowl was so satisfying. The best part was all the leftovers that I got to have for lunch the next day! Definitely making again!
So happy to hear this, Cara! This definitely can make several lunches, which is awesome.
This looks so delicious! I like the idea of having it in a bowl because you can make sure that you have some of each ingredient in every bite.
I’ve never tried a burrito bowl before, and after trying this, I realize I was seriously missing out! So many levels of flavor in this. It was amazing!
I felt the same way ;)
This burrito bowl was the perfect lunch for me! I have been wanting to incorporate more healthy lunches into my schedule and this recipe was perfect. It had everything I crave in a burrito and made it easy to prep as well.
Awesome to hear, Cam!
I made these burrito bowls for dinner last night and they were amazing! My whole family enjoyed them!
Yay! Happy to hear it :)
Easy and delicious, this one is a keeper. I know I’m going to make it over and over again!
Love to hear it!
I was looking for a recipe like this, thank you for sharing! I can’t wait to try it soon!
I am in love with this burrito bowl! It has become my go-to healthy lunch meal prep lunch! Completely recommend it!
Thanks so much, Tavo!
Great tweak to taco Tuesday for us. Loved the seasonings on this!
I’m so happy to hear this!
Super easy to make and looks magnificent. Can’t wait to enjoy this for lunch.
Hope you love it! Keep me posted, ok?
Fantastic bowl with so many of my favorite ingredients. Love that you’ve included avocado, too.
Gotta have avocado ;)
These burrito bowls are so easy. I love how they look, full of different colours. I added some corn to mine too that I had to use up.
Perfect! Corn is great in these.
So glad I found this recipe! I love getting my burrito bowls from Chipotle but it’s even better to be able to make them at home! Thank you so much!
Anything that keeps me from having to go out ;) Haha.
YUM! This is my go-to recipe to use when I have left over chicken. I love how easy this bowl is to prepare and the family loves it.
BEST way to use up leftover chicken!
Perfect and easy comfort breakfast food we loved it and will make it again!
Love that you made it for breakfast! Some scrambled eggs could totally amp this up.
Burrito bowls never get old, and this is a great healthy version. So delicious!
This was such an easy recipe and my family absolutely loved it. Thanks for sharing it!
I love how delicious this burrito bowl looks. It is exactly how I like to make mine. Can’t wait to try your recipe!
Keep me posted!
I love this easy homemade burrito bowl! It makes an easy lunch or dinner and it is so satisfying. Love how it’s healthy too!
Thanks, Kathryn! Glad you love it!
I love eating burritos but always feel awful afterward because I’m too full. This recipe is the best of both worlds – I feel like I get a burrito and feel great afterwards!
Yes! I know the feeling of self-loathing that follows the burrito. Haha. This is a great solution ;)