Food/ How-To/ Main Dishes/ Pescetarian/ Soups + Stews

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls | Killing Thyme

Have you ever sat yourself down at a Ramen bar and just been completely enamored with the colorful broth-y masterpiece set in front of you? With the white and pink-spiraled fish cakes, bright screen scallions, frail nori strips, and perfectly yolk-y eggs…

Have you ever been able to picture yourself building your own Ramen empire in your very own kitchen? You should, because you can.

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowl

The flavor profile of true Ramen broths can be beautifully complex with sweet, spicy, and savory notes dancing along your tastebuds with subtle hints of fish.

You can certainly go that route and create dashi from scratch, then turn it into a Shoyu Ramen or a Kake Soba With Hon Tsuyu Broth. (SO soso good.)

But if you’re just at home, feeling lazy, and hankering something that tastes like a Ramen bowl, looks like a Ramen bowl, and warms your belly like a Ramen bowl, there’s no need to fuss. You can get it done, and with minimal ingredients that you probably already have kickin’ around in your pantry.

Also! If you have a local Asian market, check them out. Because your pantry item options can easily expand out to things like shimeji mushrooms and naruto—you know, those pretty white and pink-spiraled fish cakes. I have some in my freezer right now.

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowl handheld

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls

All you *really* need is garlic, ginger, sesame oil, olive oil, vegetable broth (you can use chicken broth, if you’re not pesce/veg), a packet of Ramen noodles, Sriracha or sambal for some heat, and veggies for nutrition. I like to add shredded carrots, sliced scallions, and if I have them, shiitake mushrooms.

Oh, and obviously a soft-boiled egg, which is basically the best part; it’s the cherry on the Ramen sundae.

I typically keep my bowls veg-based. It’s the easy thing to do, and this bowl of goodness is all about feeding yourself while lazy. But adding a protein is always good, especially if you have leftovers in the fridge that you need to use up. Tofu, sustainable shrimp—or again, if you’re omnivorous—chicken or pork. You do you, babe.

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls with chopsticks

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls

If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations. Especially if pretty Ramen bowls <3

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls | Killing Thyme

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls

Make homemade Ramen in the comfort of your own kitchen with minimal and simple ingredients.

Author Killing Thyme

• 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced (optional)
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 TBSP rice vinegar (optional)
  • 3 TBSP low-sodium soy sauce (more to taste)
  • 1 TBSP Sriracha sauce (more or less, depending on your heat tolerance)
  • 2 3 oz portions of Ramen (discard the flavor packets)

Toppings

• Sliced scallions
  • Sesame seeds
  • Shredded carrots
  • Soft-boiled egg

1. Heat sesame oil and olive oil in a medium-large saucepan over moderate (see notes). Add garlic and ginger, and simmer until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Do not brown the garlic, or else you'll get a bitter flavor.

2. Add the carrots and mushrooms if you're using them, and simmer until they soften, about a minute, stirring frequently.

3. Add the broth, Sriracha sauce, rice vinegar (if using), and soy sauce. Stir, and bring to a simmer; let it go for about five minutes. Taste, and adjust heat and taste to your liking by adding more Sriracha and soy sauce if needed.

4. Carefully place the Ramen noodles into the pot of simmering broth and allow to cook for approx. 2-3 minutes, or until cooked and tender.

5. Carefully transfer the soup and noodles to bowls, and allow to cool. At this time, make your soft-boiled egg.

Soft-Boiled Egg

1. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the egg(s), and let them boil for five minutes. In the meantime, prepare an ice bath in a bowl. Once five minutes are up, remove the egg(s) and dunk them into the ice bath for about a minute to cool them off enough to handle. Then, lightly crack and roll them on a flat surface, peel, slice in half, and place on top of your Ramen.

2. Garnish with your toppings of choice.

3. Fall into a state of bliss.

*In case you were wondering why I use the two oils, it's because using just sesame oil can bring a bit too much of a potent sesame taste to your broth, depending on what you're using. But it's nice to have that hint, so I decided to mix the two. You can definitely use one or the other if you prefer.

Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls | Killing Thyme

Aaron Orgel
    November 17, 2018 at 3:37 pm I added Korean BBQ (Bulgogi) chicken and it was incredible
      November 17, 2018 at 10:33 pm That sounds amazing, Aaron. So glad you enjoyed it!
    Cream of Broccoli Soup | Killing Thyme
    November 8, 2018 at 3:29 pm […] Easy Homemade Ramen […]
    Tanya Haithcock
    October 23, 2018 at 9:48 pm I'd love to know where you got these bowls! My family has fallen in love with ramen bowls and I need more than the usual cereal bowls!
      October 24, 2018 at 11:19 am Hey Tanya! I snagged these bad boys from Amazon. They have a decent selection on there! Ramen just tastes so much better out of a proper (massive) Ramen bowl :) Hope you find something you like!
    Green Tea Ramen Bowl | Killing Thyme
    October 8, 2018 at 6:14 pm […] Bowl is the fourth Ramen bowl I bring to this blog. (No shame.) Since my most popular recipe is my Easy Homemade Ramen Bowl, I don’t anticipate any complaints :) Who doesn’t want various Ramen bowl recipes to […]
    Diane
    July 6, 2018 at 4:01 pm I LOVE this recipe and have made it multiple times! I'm thinking of mixing up a paste with some of the ingredients and keeping it in the fridge for easier prep.
      July 6, 2018 at 7:05 pm Thanks so much for the feedback, Diane! I love that you're so into it. Let me know how the paste goes if you come up with one, that's a great idea!
    Wendy
    April 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm This was a big hit for dinner tonight! I added chicken and broccoli. It's a keeper for my recipe pins!
      April 15, 2018 at 10:49 am Hi Wendy! I'm so glad this was a hit for you. Thanks so much for stopping by with feedback. I really appreciate it! Happy Ramen-slurping :)
    Quick and Easy Vegetarian Pho | Killing Thyme
    March 2, 2018 at 4:18 pm […] We all need easy comfort food for long days, for crummy days, and for lazy rainy days. I’ve got Ramen bowls for this too, […]
    Julie Burchett
    February 11, 2018 at 4:14 pm Can you use other noodles found in the Asian section if the grocery store?
      February 12, 2018 at 8:40 am Hey Julie, absolutely. I often use soba noodles, and recently used vermicelli. Just check the cooking instructions on the package and go as directed.
    Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls – Millenniyums
    January 21, 2018 at 8:58 pm […] texture, complex in their flavor profiles, and better yet, they are really simple to make! I used this recipe to get started on my bowls, but diverged in a few places, including the vegetables used for […]
    Kim @ Three Olives Branch
    January 8, 2018 at 9:24 am My hubby loves ramen, we definitely need to try it at home! This looks so delicious, yum!
      January 10, 2018 at 8:02 am Thanks, Kim! I hope you both love it. Keep me posted!
    Demeter | Beaming Baker
    January 8, 2018 at 9:00 am Such a perfect dish for staying warm on these cold days! Especially with those scallions! :)
      January 10, 2018 at 7:54 am It's funny, if I go to make this and realize I don't have scallions, I don't make it. I can't. They truly complete the dish for me.
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    January 8, 2018 at 8:57 am I've been intimidated to make my own ramen at home but now I'm thinking I might have to try it!!! It looks SO GOOD!
      January 10, 2018 at 7:53 am I love that you're thinking of trying it! Keep me posted :)
    Tara
    January 8, 2018 at 8:52 am Yum! This sounds perfect for the cold weather we have been having. Such wonderful flavors!
      January 10, 2018 at 7:52 am Right? I've had it with winter! (Says the Canadian-born gal living in the South… what right do I have.) This is definitely soothing for this time of year. But I do whip this up in the summer, too ;)
    Monica | Nourish & Fete
    January 8, 2018 at 8:38 am Can you believe I have never been to a ramen bar!? Insane, I know! But now I confess I'd rather just make it at home, this looks so delicious!! Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous, as well - as usual!
      January 10, 2018 at 7:51 am Hey — I hadn't been to a Ramen bar until I moved to Raleigh! Where I grew up, there weren't any. But if you stumble upon one, I highly recommend you give it a go. SO GOOD. But yes, trust me, as someone who loves to curl up with comfort food, I love enjoying a big bowl of this stuff at home too. That's what inspired this. Thanks so much for the lovely compliment! Let me know if you try this out :)
    Whitney
    January 7, 2018 at 1:08 am Did the recipe change? My husband requests this fairly often and cooking it felt very different this time. I feel like I was missing mushrooms and rice vinegar. Also didn’t there used to be more soy sauce?
      January 7, 2018 at 11:41 am Hi Whitney! I did just alter the recipe to be a bit more "pantry staple" friendly and have less sodium. The previous version would have had you adding shiitake mushrooms with the carrots, prior to adding the broth. You can still add a TBSP of rice vinegar! I found that a lot of family/friends would ask if it was necessary, since they didn't often have it on hand. It's an option. And as for the soy sauce, it used to call for 1/4 cup. I use just less than that now, but if that's your preference, by all means! Hope this helps.
      January 7, 2018 at 11:53 am Hey Whitney! Just an FYI — I added in the old ingredients/steps to the recipe here as optional so you can more easily stick with the old recipe <3
    Quick Fix Phony Pho (Vegetarian) - Killing Thyme Eat-Zine
    June 3, 2016 at 10:51 am […] can’t be so bad; we all need easy comfort food for those bad days. (I’ve got Ramen bowls for this too, […]
    Kake Soba with Hon Tsuyu Broth - Killing Thyme Eat-Zine
    May 12, 2016 at 5:00 pm […] which is, in fact, the dish that inspired me to try this one from scratch. It’s easy to replicate Ramen bowls at home because Ramen, as we’ve grown to know it in North America, is hard to botch. Our college days […]
    Jennifer
    April 26, 2016 at 6:26 pm I have come back to this recipe numerous times. The flavors come together to make such a great broth! Thank you for sharing. This recipe has taken the place of regular chicken noodle soup in our house.
      April 26, 2016 at 7:13 pm Hey Jennifer! I'm so glad to hear this. This is totally the go-to soup in our household these days, too. It's even great when you're feeling under the weather! I might have to make this for lunch tomorrow. Now I'm craving it. Haha :)
    DIY Instant Ramen - How to Up Your Lunch Game - Killing Thyme Eat-Zine
    January 22, 2016 at 12:44 pm […] Vegetables. I keep my soup pretty simple. I julienne carrots, add spinach, and top things off with sliced scallions (Ramen, in my world, always has scallions). Shiitake mushrooms are another good addition, but I like my mushrooms cooked so I usually save those for my full blown at-home Ramen bowls. […]
    Killing Thyme's Top 10 of 2015 - Killing Thyme Eat-Zine
    January 4, 2016 at 4:45 pm […] […]
    Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls - Yum Goggle
    November 6, 2015 at 12:24 pm […] GET THE RECIPE […]
    fort collins 24 hour emergency veterinarian
    November 5, 2015 at 10:35 pm fort collins 24 hour emergency veterinarian Easy Homemade Ramen Bowls - Killing Thyme
    Adina
    November 3, 2015 at 1:59 pm Both version look, chicken and egg, look delicious... I couldn't make up my mind which I'd like to eat more. :)
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 4, 2015 at 5:32 pm Thanks, Adina! In that case, Have the egg AND the chicken :)
    Annie
    November 2, 2015 at 10:51 am I thought it was mazeman at first but then I noticed the soup. It looks super savory and tasty.
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      November 4, 2015 at 5:32 pm Thanks, Annie! Savory is a great way to describe it. I can definitely see how it could resemble mazeman, too. The broth is covered by all of that goodness.