Clam Pasta With Tomato Sauce
Simmered in a simple from-scratch tomato sauce, this 30-minute clam pasta is an awesome way to change things up on pasta night!
A Fantastic Way to Use Canned Clams
This is totally one of those pasta dinners you can throw together within minutes on a weeknight. Much like tuna pasta, which seems popular among home cooks because it’s easy and approachable.
This recipe offers the same benefits, but changes things up with canned clams. Using clams might make things sound a little fancier, but believe me when I tell you this clam pasta is a cinch.
Are Canned Clams Good for You?
Yes! Clams offer up a nice dose of vitamins and minerals, and they’re perfect for a heart-healthy diet. You’re definitely not restricted to fresh clams in order to benefit from what they have to offer.
And to add to that, canned clams are mild and slightly sweet. They don’t have a very fishy aroma or flavor, like canned tuna and canned salmon, so they mingle really well in a nice tomato sauce with fresh herbs like we have here.
A Quick Glance at the Ingredients
- Fettuccine, or another type of long and thin pasta
- Canned tomatoes
- Canned clams
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh basil
- Dry white wine
- Yellow onion
- Sea salt + Cracked black pepper
How to Make Clam Pasta With Tomato Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then add the onions. Sauté them for about 5-7 minutes, or until they’re soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds, stirring a few times.
- Bring the white wine to the pan and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until it thickens and reduces by half.
- Transfer the tomatoes to the pan, breaking them up into chunks with a spatula as you stir.
- Finally stir in the clam meat and the fresh herbs. Bring the heat to low, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes on low. In the meantime, start your pasta.
- When done, drain the pasta and add it back to the pot. You can spoon some of the sauce over the pasta and toss, then serve, letting people spoon their preferred amount of sauce over their pasta.
Useful Tools for This Recipe
What to Serve With Clam Pasta
Have You Made This Recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider leaving a STAR rating & commenting below with feedback!
You can also show off your creations on Instagram by tagging @killing__thyme
More Quick Pasta Recipes for Your Weeknights:
- Garlicky Rigatoni With Spinach + Toasted Breadcrumbs
- 20-Minute Tuna Pasta
- Instant Pot Pasta Primavera
- Creamy Tomato Instant Pot Pasta With Ground Turkey + Spinach
- 20-Minute Orecchiette Pasta
- Lemon Pasta With Arugula
Clam Pasta With Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb fettuccine, or other long thin pasta
- 28 oz canned plum tomatoes; do not drain I like to use San Marzano
- 6.5 oz canned clams, do not drain (the juice adds flavor!)
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Fresh chopped basil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine Sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio, or an unoaked Chardonnay
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Sea salt + cracked pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and sauté them for about 5-7 minutes, or until they've softened up and sweating. Season them with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic to the pan and sauté for another 30 seconds, stirring here and there to prevent burning.
- Pour the white wine into the pan and make a reduction by simmering for 3-4 minutes or until the wine reduces by half.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and break them down into chunks with your spatula as you stir to create a chunky sauce.
- Stir in the clam meat and the fresh herbs. Bring the heat to low, and simmer the sauce for about 10-15 minutes. At this point, cook your pasta as per the directions on the package.
- When the pasta is ready, drain it and pop it back to the pot. You can spoon some of the sauce over the pasta and toss it, then serve, letting people spoon their preferred amount of sauce over their pasta.