This Chunky Roasted Hatch Chile Salsa is a fantastic way to take advantage of Hatch season. Eat it as a snack, or use it as a condiment to some of your favorite recipes.
Not much else in this world is as refreshing as a chunky homemade salsa. This one is bursting with juicy tomatoes, red onions, punchy jalapeños, and tangy lime juice. The only thing to make it a little extra? Roasted hatch chiles! These buttery, earthy peppers are loved for their smoky flavor—and they’re only in season for a short amount of time. So, you’ll want to act quickly. Buy them, roast them, and make this refreshing salsa stat.
How to make Chunky Roasted Hatch Chile Salsa.
I’ll admit, I do enjoy a store-bought salsa every now and then; they’re perfect for sloppy taco dips and Mexican-inspired Instant Pot dishes. But nothing beats a homemade chunky salsa when you’re looking for something to scoop up with your crunchy tortilla chips. The fresh flavors and crisp textures make for the perfect summer snack. The best part? It couldn’t be easier to make, and it’s super quick. Though homemade salsa gets tastier as it sits, you can whip this up on a whim and enjoy it immediately.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh hatch chiles
- Ripe tomatoes
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Roast and peel the hatch chiles, then roughly chop them. Transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, red onions, jalapeño, and minced garlic to the bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil, add the lime juice, lime zest, salt, and fresh herbs. Stir well to combine all of the ingredients.
- Let the salsa sit for about 15 minutes before serving. The longer the salsa waits, the tastier it gets. If you’re not serving it immediately, cover it and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve it.
Where can I use this salsa?
Aside from snacking on it, you can use it to top some of your favorite recipes! Here are a few of our faves:
- Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos
- Easy Fisherman’s Eggs
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Healthy Breakfast Tacos with Black Beans and Eggs
Hope you enjoy!
If you plan on making this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag us on Insta! @killing__thyme.
Roasted Hatch Chile Salsa
- 8 large Hatch chiles—roasted, peeled, and roughly chopped (about 2 cups worth)
- 5 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño, minced (remove the seeds for less heat)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro or parsley
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and toss until combined.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving, or cover and place in the refrigerator until serving time.