These Baked Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary pair with almost anything, making them a perfect weeknight or holiday side.
Potatoes don’t get a lot of attention in this house because, believe it or not, my husband hates them. He’ll eat crispy shoestring fries and pan-fried gnocchi, but any other potato-y foods are his personal hell. Needless to say, the go-to starch side in this house is rice or pasta; I’m deprived of potatoes ;)
Though every once in a while I just go for it. I make a batch for myself and I bask in their starchy goodness solo. These baked crispy smashed potatoes in particular are a weakness of mine. In the summertime, they’re perfect plated next to a grilled steak. During the cooler months, I like to tuck them next to some roasted chicken. Really though, I doubt there’s a protein that wouldn’t welcome potatoes smothered in garlicky olive oil and fresh rosemary.
These smashed taters also act as a great holiday side dish. I’m not one to snub gravy-drizzled mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving, but if you’re looking for something different, these gems would be a great way to change things up.
Away from the table…
Every time I check into food news, another big name company is stepping into the plant-based food world. Plant-based food is becoming mainstream, and that’s pretty refreshing! I eat meat, but I can easily say that if plant-based meats are improving in quality and texture, I’ll be all over it. How about you?
Eva Kosmas Flores’ Instagram has my heart at the moment.
If your love for Dave’s Killer Bread runs deep AND you’re pining for fall, then you’re going to be pretty stoked about their new Pumpkin Spice Madness bagel! I have some in my fridge right now but haven’t tried one yet. That just might be my post-workout meal tonight. Protein and carbs right? Don’t mind if I do!
If you try this recipe or create your own variation, let me know in the comments! I love connecting with you. Then snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme to be featured in our newsletter.
Baked Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary
- 1.5 lbs baby potatoes (petite potatoes)
- 2 garlic cloves, grated The best way to grate garlic is using a microplane/zester.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1.5 TBSP chopped fresh rosemary
- Coarse kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan or pecorino romano
- Pre-heat oven to 450° F and position the middle rack.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Rinse the potatoes and place them into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the grated garlic into the olive oil. Drizzle the garlicky olive oil over the potatoes. Add the chopped fresh rosemary, and a sprinkle of coarse salt and cracked pepper, to taste. Toss to coat.
- Transfer the potatoes onto the covered baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes have started to turn golden brown in color. When this happens, remove the baking tray from the oven and set it somewhere safe. Turn the oven to broil and move the rack one slot higher.
- Carefully press down on each potato with a flat surface (bottom of a plate, bowl, or large mug) to smash it. Place the baking sheet back into the oven and broil the potatoes for a few more minutes, just until the edges crisp up nicely. Broilers vary, so keep a close eye on your potatoes.
- Once the potatoes have crisped up, remove them from the oven and set aside to cool a bit. Once cooled, grate cheese over each potato and sprinkle with a bit more coarse salt and cracked black pepper—then serve!