Food/ Pescetarian/ Soups + Stews

Creamy Crab Bisque

I had friends over for dinner last week and, aside from this crab bisque, I kind of screwed up.

I love hosting and I love going above and beyond when we have pals over for dinner. Things usually work out well. But this time, I bit off more than I could chew.

Not only did I boil up two different types of pasta with different cooking times (gluten-free for my gal pal, regular ol’ pasta for the rest of us), but I pan-seared some luscious scallops in butter and simmered up a caper + wine sauce for the pasta—both of which need to be done quickly and vigilantly; both of which get cold really fast. REALLY FAST. What the hell was I thinking? I wasn’t thinking.

Luckily this glorious bisque redeemed my ass at the dinner table.

I have a few things to say about this recipe and its process. So, here we go.

We’re currently living in a world that fist-pumps at words like easy and fuss-free while frowning at any kind of extra steps. With that, I’m begging you to NOT exit out of this tab when I tell you that taking the extra 20 minutes to simmer your crab shells in your broth is totally. completely. crucial.

I mean, you could technically skip out on this step and come out with a crab bisque, BUT NO. The flavor the shells infuse into the broth is no joke and I’m obsessed. And I want you to experience that.

Breaking your own crab meat (whether with legit crab crackers or hefty scissors) out of its shells is a pesky task and you ARE going to end up with a few fragments in your soup. It’s unavoidable, no matter how much care you put into it. So just give your guests a heads up. The best thing you can do is give your guests a heads up. Just say, “Hey. Look. I’m a badass who cracked my own shells, so there may be a microscopic fragment or two in one of your bowls.” And your guests will be like, “Wow. Thanks for not buying canned or artificial crab, you superstar, you.”

Or something.

(Canned crab is actually okay to use in bisques and chowders; just make sure it’s REAL crab meat—and say goodbye to the ultimate flavor power brought to you by simmering those shells. (I told you I’m obsessed.))

If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations.

Creamy Crab Bisque

This Creamy Crab Bisque brings sweet lumps of Dungeness crab meat to your bowl with a rich flavor-packed broth. This makes for a great starter, side, or bougie lunch option.
Course Appetizer, Entree or Side, Soup

• 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
  • Kosher salt + cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 3 TBSP corn starch
  • 1/2 cup cold milk
  • Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish

1. Spread the crab legs and claws over a baking sheet or pan and bake until heated through (6-8 minutes if thawed, 12-16 minutes if frozen, depending on packages instructions). Let them cool. Once cool to the touch, crack the shells open with crab shell crackers or strong scissors, and carefully remove the meat, setting it into a large bowl. Reserve your crab shells in a separate bowl.

2. Roughly chop the crab meat. You can leave a few larger lumps for soup garnish if you wish. When done, cover the crab meat and place it in the fridge.

3. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, bring your veg or seafood broth to a simmer. Add the crab shells to the broth and let simmer for about 20 minutes. When done, place a strainer over another pot in the sink, and carefully pour the broth into the pot through the strainer to catch any shells and bits. Set the broth aside.

4. Give your original stockpot a quick rinse to rid of any possible shells or bits that might have been missed. Set on top of the stove over medium heat. Add the butter and heat until melted.

5. Stir in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery, and cook until soft and tender—about 5 minutes.

6. Transfer your strained broth to your stockpot with the veggies and bring to a boil. Stir in the bay leaves, smoked paprika pepper, old bay seasoning, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.

7. Discard the bay leaves and carefully transfer the soup to a high-powered blender. Do this in batches if you must. Blend until smooth. Transfer the smooth soup back to the stockpot on the stove. (If you have a good immersion blender, you can keep the soup in the stockpot and blend it right in there.)

8. Over medium heat, bring the soup to a low simmer. Pour in the heavy cream, stirring to blend.

9. In a small bowl, mix the corn starch and milk vigorously with a fork; ensure there are no clumps. Then, slowly stir this mixture into the simmering soup, stirring constantly to thicken.

10. Reduce heat to low, stir in crab meat, and simmer until warmed through—about 5 minutes.

11. Serve and garnish with a drizzle of cream, chopped fresh parsley, and lumpy crab meat if you reserve some.

Marisa Franca
    April 9, 2018 at 12:00 pm This recipe has my name all over it. I know. I know. Your name is there but it's truly all me. It sounds fabulous and I do the same thing with shrimp shells. Save them and they make an amazing broth. And frankly, as long as you tell your guest about a few micro shells all is well. I wouldn't say anything like, "Oh by the way, I was wearing a band-aid when I was cooking but then it wasn't on my bloody finger. You may want to watch it." Nope that wouldn't be good. This recipe is a keeper.
    Amy Nash
    April 9, 2018 at 12:19 am Okay, I'm in love with this recipe - it looks and sounds so good! But also, can I just say amen to your writing about how it's sometimes totally 100% worth celebrating the extra effort for a supremely delicious version of something and not just a fast/easy/instant version?
    Amanda
    April 8, 2018 at 9:15 pm This bisque is everything I love! It's so true, too, that sometimes you just really need to take the extra time for a proper simmer. This crab bisque, simmered with the shells, must have such fantastic flavor. Love your disclaimer about finding a few shell fragments. I definitely haven't mastered the art of cracking crabs without a couple of strays...but you can't beat fresh crabmeat! So sweet and delicious, and now I want a bowl of this immediately. :)
    Annemarie @ justalittlebitofbacon
    April 8, 2018 at 8:24 pm I love easy as much as the next person, but I love flavor more and I know you can't get a get soup base without spending a little time. So don't worry, you didn't scare me off! :) Also, that crab bisque looks amazing. I'm not surprised all was forgiven once everyone tasted it.
    Sarha
    April 7, 2018 at 9:21 pm First- I love that bowl and plate. Second- I totally agree- crab with the shell on is the way to go with bisque! And this looks SO PERFECT for this weird wintery spring we're having!
    Jennifer Bigler
    April 7, 2018 at 5:01 pm I have never attempted a bisque let alone lobster, but now I want to! My family would go crazy for this recipe and it doesn't look as difficult as I would imagine it to be. I can probably get my hubby to crack the shells in exchange for me making this for him, lol. Thank you for sharing!
      April 7, 2018 at 7:55 pm Hey Jennifer! This one is a crab bisque, but with Dungeness crab, the meat is about as good and sweet as lobster ;) It's definitely an easy recipe, and you should *totally* cajole your husband into cracking the shells! Sadly that doesn't fly here, since my husband could take or leave crab. (Savage.) I hope you and your family love this if you do give it a go!
    Carmy
    April 7, 2018 at 12:11 am I've been craving crab bisque ever since my visit to Seattle and seeing all the fresh seafood. This absolutely looks delicious! But I'm not sure if the Dungeness crab will make it into the bisque though because I might just eat all of it first!
    Gloria
    April 5, 2018 at 9:17 pm Well this sounds wonderful. I just made crab bisque (a different version) for the first time a few months ago, it was so good. Yes peeling crab is a major pain...just like pomegranates and hard boiled eggs. The end result is so worth it. I can see why your guests LOVED this soup.
    Kathy McDaniel
    April 3, 2018 at 12:40 am This crab bisque looks creamy and delicious. You are absolutely right about making your own broth with the shells. It is one extra step that makes a world of difference in the flavor of the bisque (or any selfish soup or sauce). Definitely a must. Pinning this to make soon! We love crab!
    Rebecca
    April 2, 2018 at 2:18 pm I love seafood bisque! I need to try this ASAP!
    Veena Azmanov
    April 2, 2018 at 12:57 pm Wow, this Creamy Crab Bisque looks very tasty and delicious! This is the perfect soup for me! I definitely want to try it for lunch or dinner! Thank you for sharing this great recipe!
    Traci
    April 2, 2018 at 12:41 pm Ohhhhh, THIS! Omgosh Dana...I think you've outdone yourself with this one! There is a Dungeness crab season every year...and I need to save this recipe for the next one! For now, I'll pin and share, and dream about it :) thanks for the recipe inspiration!
    Stephanie@ApplesforCJ
    April 2, 2018 at 12:32 pm We've all had our food flops but I'm glad this one worked out for you. And I can see why with this creamy crab bisque and it definitely looks like a show stopper as well.
    Anna
    April 2, 2018 at 12:20 pm Everything was still delicious and so so appreciated! Crab and scallops in one meal... ❤️ I can eat my weight in either of those lol.
    Dannii
    April 2, 2018 at 11:43 am This looks so light and delicious. Your photos are beautiful too! I am craving a big bowl of this now.