Easy Air Fryer Broccoli
This quick and easy air fryer broccoli is the absolute BEST. It’s tossed with olive oil, garlic salt, and nutritional yeast. Vegan friendly!
Say Goodbye to Boring Broccoli.
Just here to let you know that your weeknight veggie side dish dilemmas have been forever resolved. This fab broccoli side dish is crunchy, garlicky, and cheesy! Sort of. Nutritional yeast is used in this recipe to add a healthy—and vegan friendly—cheesiness. But believe me when I say you’ll try this once and never look at broccoli the same way. Further to that awesomeness, the ingredients list is short and sweet (I’m talkin’ the 4 ingredient kind of short and sweet), and prep is done in a snap. You’ll also find that you can pair this beauty with pretty much any main. What doesn’t go well with garlic and cheese?
How to Cook Broccoli in the Air Fryer.
I’ve roasted broccoli in the oven for years and thought that was the be-all end-all method for achieving the best broccoli. Then I got myself an air fryer, and here we are. Cooking broccoli in an air fryer is pretty much foolproof.
- Splash some water into the bottom of the air fryer basket, then place the grate on top. The water just adds a bit of moisture to the basket to keep the broccoli from smoking and burning.
- Pop the broccoli pieces into a large mixing bowl. Give them a drizzle of olive oil, then sprinkle them with the garlic salt and nutritional yeast.
- Stir he broccoli well to coat. A little trick: I just cover the bowl with tin foil and give the bowl a good shake to get things mixed up well, then I remove the tin foil and give the broccoli one last stir with a spoon.
- Transfer the broccoli to the air fryer basket and shake it a bit to spread the florets out evenly. Avoid having them toppled over one another or they won’t cook evenly.
- Close up the air fryer and cook the broccoli at 400º F for 7 minutes.
- When they’re done, remove the basket and serve immediately.
You Only Need 4 Ingredients for This.
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Nutritional yeast
Why You’ll Love This Recipe.
- It’s super quick and easy.
- You get cheesy goodness with your broccoli but with the health benefits of nutritional yeast. If you’re lactose intolerant or count calories, you’ll especially love this for that very reason.
- The air fryer results in the perfect tender crunch.
- No burned bits! I love oven-roasted broccoli but you do get some burned bits every once in a while. I love that you can add moisture by putting a bit of water in the bottom of the basket to prevent this.
- It doesn’t require babysitting, and it doesn’t tie up your oven!
What Are the Benefits of Nutritional Yeast?
If you’re wondering why I choose nutritional yeast over cheese when it comes to broccoli, it’s simple: nutritional yeast gives your broccoli a cheesy flavor with all health benefits and no fat. Seems like a good trade off to me! (And trust me, I’m a cheese fiend. So if I say this works, you can trust me.) Here are some of the health benefits of nutritional yeast:
- It contains all nine essential amino acids, which makes it a complete protein.
- It’s rich in B vitamins, and when fortified, it has an extra punch of vitamin B6, vitamin B12, niacin, thiamine, and riboflavin.
- It has trace minerals like selenium, zinc, manganese, and molybdenum, all which aid with metabolism, growth, and immunity.
Useful Equipment for This Recipe:
Recipe Tips + Tricks:
- Add a bit of water to the bottom of the air fryer basket (just enough to cover the bottom) to prevent burning or smoking
- For best coverage, place your broccoli florets in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil on top, then add the garlic salt and nutritional yeast. Cover the bowl with a lid or sheet of tin foil, and shake the bowl vigorously. This method coats the florets much better than simply mixing with a spoon.
More Side Dishes to Try:
- Simple Instant Pot Rice Pilaf
- Herb and Garlic Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Lemon Garlic Butter Shrimp with Chilies
- Hot Honey Roasted Carrots
Have You Made This Recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe, please consider leaving a STAR rating & commenting below with feedback!
You can also show off your creations on Instagram by tagging @killing__thyme
Get the Recipe:
Easy Air Fryer Broccoli
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about two large broccoli crowns)
- 1.5 TBSP olive oil
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp garlic salt, more to taste if needed
- Add about a tablespoon of water to the bottom of the air fryer basket, then place the grate on top. This will add a bit of moisture and prevent the broccoli from burning or smoking.
- Place the broccoli florets into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over the broccoli, then sprinkle the nutritional yeast and garlic salt on top. Secure a lid or sheet of tin foil over the bowl and give the bowl a good shake—this is the best way to ensure even coverage.
- Dump the broccoli into to the air fryer basket and give it a little shake to spread the florets out evenly.
- Close the air fryer, then cook the broccoli at 400º F for 7 minutes. When done, carefully remove the basket and serve the broccoli immediately.
143 Comments on “Easy Air Fryer Broccoli”
I love making broccoli as a side dish and this recipe makes it so much easier! Thank you so much!
You’re so welcome!
The best way to cook broccoli! I love the little bit of crispiness is gets and the savory flavor from the nutritional yeast
Such a yummy recipe! The broccoli cooks up perfectly in the air fryer, and that sprinkle of nutritional yeast adds so much great flavor. Another winner from Killing Thyme!
I love using nutritional yeast as a substitution for cheese, but I never thought of using it for broccoli. The air fryer just crisps up the broccoli so well and it is done a fraction of the time.
Easy to make and delicious. My kind of side dish!
This broccoli turned out perfect in the air fryer, and I love your tip about adding some water. My new favorite way to cook broccoli!
Served this with dinner last night and it was the perfect balance of flavor! Easily, a new favorite recipe; even my picky eaters enjoyed it!
I’m so glad, Sara!
This recipe is so quick and easy! My new favorite way to make broccoli!
So easy and a brilliant way to cook brocolli!
Another great air fryer recipe! I also planted some broccoli two weeks ago and I can’t wait to cook my fresh broccoli in the air fryer.
Love that you planted your own broccoli!
This air fryer version of broccoli is my new favorite. SO delicious
I’m so glad!
Love broccoli in any form, and this air fryer version sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
You’re welcome :)
Couldn’t believe how easy this was! I used parmesan as I didn’t have nutritional yeast, and it was delish!
I’m happy to know parmesan works—thanks for the feedback!
The nutritional yeasts was a perfect touch to these broccolis. We enjoyed the crunchy broccolis and the flavors were delicious!
I’m so glad!
100% the best way to make and eat broccoli!
I can’t argue this ;)
Lovely adding nutritional yeast to the broccoli recipe. I love the nutty cheesy flavour while being still healthy
Yes! Cheesy broccoli was the way when I was a kid, but this is so much healthier and still oh-so-tasty!
Actually better than broccoli with cheese sauce. It’s got the flavor without the heavy texture. Perfection.
I’m so glad you think so! And I agree!
This is a winner recipe and this is the only way my kids would broccoli :)
That’s awesome! Wish my kiddo would. He’s a picky 3 year old so anything green is a struggle, haha.
This is the perfect way to serve up broccoli! Yum!
Thanks! I think so too :)
The best air fryer broccoli I’ve ever tried! I made this at least once a week and it’s hubby approved too!
Awesome to hear :)
This was such a good way to use the air fryer and the broccoli was perfectly cooked too.
Happy to hear it, Dannii!
This Air Fryer Broccoli turned out perfectly! The entire family loved it, and I loved that it was so easy to make!
Excellent! I’m so glad.
I love easy and tasty side dishes. Broccoli is one of our favorites!
I love air fryer recipes and I cant believe I haven’t made broccoli in it yet! So trying this recipe out.
Edit: Came back to add star rating SO GOOD
Thanks for popping back in to rate the recipe, Neha!
So simple and delicious! Perfect vegetable side to our dinner.
Ok, YUM!!! The garlic and perfectly air fried crispiness!!! MM!!
So good, right? :)
Love how easy and tasty this recipe is – the nutritional yeast adds such a good cheezy flavor!
The nutritional yeast is such a game changer! So glad you enjoyed it :)
my favorite way to make broccoli!
Another amazing recipe!! I have made this air fryer broccoli at least once a week its sooo good!
I’m so glad, Cam! It’s in our regular rotation too.
Your broccoli is delicious. I like the idea of using nutritional yeast instead of cheese, a much healthier option, thanks for sharing.
Glad you think so too, Sarah. It’s such a nice option and so so tasty.
I Just tried this recipe and my family loved it. It was so easy and the flavors were fantastic.
Happy to hear it, Shadi!
This broccoli way perfectly cooked. Such a great way to use the air fryer.
What a great way of cooking broccoli! I loved the addition of the nutritional yeast too. So easy and delicious.
This broccoli looks absolutely fantastic!! I love how easily it comes together in the air fryer.
Let me know if you try it!
I always say that nutritional yeast is not used enough! I’m so glad to have found this recipe, as we always have a tub of it at home! Broccoli was as delicious as it was easy to make! You gotta love air-fryers…
I agree, Ieva! Or if it is, it’s typically featured on vegan blogs. No need to be vegan to enjoy this good stuff. So glad you enjoyed this one. Air fryers, I’m with you. what did we do before them? Lol…
Quick, easy and makes a perfect side dish for any meal.
This was so easy! Perfect for when you need an easy side dish thank you!
You’re so welcome :)
This is my absolute favorite way to make broccoli. It’s so easy and delicious!
Awesome, Tayler! Glad you’re digging it.
I just got a new air fryer and have been looking for a way to make broccoli. Delicious and you are right – the nutritional yeast does make it taste cheesy!
Glad you enjoyed it, Aimee!
So easy to make! This has become my new go-to method to cook broccoli.
I’m so happy!
Never making broccoli any other way again!
Love hearing this, Jessica!
I love how crispy this air fryer broccoli is. The kids loved it too.
Awesome to hear!
Quick, easy and I love that little bit of crispiness from the air fryer
Love those crispy bits :)
I’m not vegan or dairy-free yet still come back to this recipe for broccoli. Nutritional yeast is so much better than actual cheese on broccoli for some reason! This is such a genius idea.
Same, Melanie! Nutritional yeast on veggies is such a hit in this house. And we’re cheese lovers, so go figure.
Very easy and delicious! My new way to cook broccoli thank you!
This is my absolute favorite way to make broccoli! I’ve used this recipe several times and it always turns out perfectly!
I’m so glad, Taylor!
Making broccoli in the air fryer is a true game changer! My preferred method for eating broccoli was steamed, but now air fryer and steamed are head to head! Thanks for the clear instructions!
I’m with you, Tavo! I still love steamed if I’m throwing it into a stir fry but if it’s as a side, this is the way to go.
Ok – broccoli in an air fryer? SIGN ME UP. I love love love roasted broccoli but am slowly getting to know my air fryer – so excited to be able to mimic that same crispy texture without turning on the whole oven in the middle of summer!
Yes! It’s so awesome. And quicker, too. I’ve always been a sucker for roasted broccoli but, here we are, haha.
I Made for a gathering and it was a hit, everyone loved it! Will definitely make it again!
This broccoli turned out perfectly in my air fryer! Crispy on the outside, not overcooked – delicious!
Love to hear it!
The broccoli came out fantastic! They were the perfect side dish for our grilled tofu dinner.
Sounds like a nice super healthy dinner!
My air fryer is responsible for me eating more vegetables! I love them all cooked this way. Love your addition of nutritional yeast. Delish!
Haha, I love it. Air fried vegetables are something to be excited about.
I noticed you don’t add another tbps of yeast after you put it in the basket like you do the oven version. Is this because it will burn? Also my airfryer is an Emeril. So the basket is wire. Should I put a pan on a different shelf w the water do you think?
Hi Stephanie, it shouldn’t burn! The amount of nutritional yeast you use, and adding extra, is personal.
I’m looking at the Emeril air fryer now and it looks like it’s a completely different configuration, but I think this will work by doing what you said, just sliding a pan of water beneath the wire rack! Can you let me know if it works? It would be great to have that info here for anyone else who might have the same air fryer, or similar, as you!
Simple and easy recipe with great tips for cooking broccoli in the air fryer.
Nutritional yeast is an incredible ingredient! My family didn’t even complain there was no cheese!! Delicious recipe
Haha, it’s quite a magical ingredient!
This is my favourite air fryer broccoli recipe! So easy and delicious!
so easy and so flavorful. my toddler loved this version and is fan of broccoli now. Thanks to your wonderful recipe.
Lucky you! I’m still trying to convince my toddler that broccoli isn’t poison ;)
This is so good. Love the nutritional yeast! Works perfectly.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Such a perfectrly easy side dish!! Amazing!
My favourite ingredients combined in my favourite piece of kitchen equipment! I love how easy this recipe is, and SO tasty too.
So glad you liked it!
I love cooking in my air fryer and this recipe is now in my recipe rotation. So easy and so delicious. A perfect side dish recipe on those busy weeknights!
So happy it’s become a regular for you!
My family is going to love this! Thank you for this amazing recipe.
You’re welcome! Keep me posted!
My kids love air fryer broccoli. It’s the only way they’ll eat it without complaining!
It’s a great day when… ;)
Yup bored with my usual sides haha and this was a delicious easy twist on the usual broccoli side..thanks!
This is one of the easiest and fastest way to prepare broccoli. They are delicious too!
Happy to hear it, Anita!
I love a quick and easy recipe! With only four ingredients, it was too good to pass up!
Totally! Sides should be easy :)
It was so delicious and everyone loved it! Thank you for this amazing recipe!
You’re so welcome!
I love making this broccoli as a quick side dish, the nutritional yeast is such a great touch!
Cheesy without the extra cals! ;)
The best way to eat broccoli!!
This came out absolutely perfectly! Thank you!
We love roasted broccoli but I have never tried making it in the air fryer. Such an easy and delicious recipe this is. Thank you for sharing this amazing dish.
I’ve always roasted broccoli too, but this is such a nice option for when you’re already using the oven!
I love cooking vegetables with my air fryer! The best way to make them taste crunchy but still healthy enough to eat!
100%! It’s awesome.
This is the best quick and easy broccoli side recipe, love it!
Awesome to hear, Caitlin!