Healthy breakfast tacos stuffed with black beans and eggs are the perfect weekend breakfast. This recipe is also fantastic for doubling up and entertaining!
When mowing down tacos on Taco Tuesday isn’t enough, these healthy breakfast tacos with black beans and eggs are the perfect way to kickstart your Saturday morning. And there’s absolutely no hassle involved! You’re stuffing cheesy spinach-filled scrambled eggs into soft tortillas and topping them with your favorite healthy taco toppers. This is a breakfast that is filling, satisfying, and changes things up in a really pleasant way.
Are breakfast tacos healthy?
Tacos are typically seen as a treat. But if you pack your tortillas with hearty and healthy ingredients, you can fill up and feel good by getting a healthy dose of nutrients and keeping portions low. These tacos bring scrambled eggs, spinach, and black beans to your plate for a heart-healthy breakfast. Other toppings include tomatoes, avocado, refreshing pico de gallo, and a bit of cheese (because CHEESE). If you feel like adding sour cream, opt for plain Greek yogurt instead!
How to make good breakfast tacos.
When it comes to tacos, it’s all about loading them with your favorite goodies. We all know that’s easy to do with meaty dinner tacos. Luckily, it’s just as easy to make good breakfast tacos—and with healthful ingredients! Eggs go with just about anything. Here are some toppings to consider:
- Ribboned spinach, added to your scrambled eggs
- Diced tomatoes
- Black beans or other legumes
- Refried beans
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Pico de gallo
- Your favorite hot sauce
- Greek yogurt instead of sour cream
- Cheese! But a reasonable amount. (Or a metric shit ton of it. We’re not here to tell you how to live your life.)
Breakfast tacos for a crowd!
Having company? Hosting brunch? Doubling—even tripling!—this recipe is a total cinch. Cook up an extra large batch of cheesy spinach-filled scrambled eggs and set up a topping bar with your tortillas, garnishes, and sauces so people can create their own tacos. You’ll seem like a genius, and it’s very little work for you; a total host/hostess win! We’ll knock mimosa glasses to that.
Other taco recipes worth eating and repeating:
- Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos
- Crispy Chipotle Chickpea Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos with Mango Habanero Salsa
Hope you taco ’bout these for a while!
If you plan on making this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag us on Insta! @killing__thyme
Healthy Breakfast Tacos with Black Beans and Eggs
- 8 street taco shells Or small taco shells
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- 2 TBSP milk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup grated cheese I like using a Mexican blend or cheddar
- 2 cups ribboned baby spinach
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced avocado
- Pico de gallo
- Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Lime wedges for a spritz of fresh lime juice
- Extra cheese
- Hot sauce
- Plain Greek yogurt Or sour cream, if you really prefer
- Heat oil in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Beat the eggs together in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk, cumin, and chili powder. Add the grated cheese and the ribboned spinach; stir to combine.
- Once the oil in the pan is hot, pour the egg mixture into it. Bring the heat to medium-low. (You don't want to rush cooking the eggs or they'll become rubbery.) Once the eggs hit the pan, they will begin to cook immediately. With a spatula, pull the cooked outer edges in towards the center of the eggs, creating soft and silky curdles. Any uncooked egg mixture will flood toward the outer edges of the pan. Keep pulling the outer cooked edges into the center with your spatula. Eventually, the uncooked eggs will stop flooding the outer edges of the pan and all of your eggs will be curdled in the center of the pan. At this point you can start breaking up the scrambled eggs. Turn any undercooked eggs and keep the scramble moving to make sure the eggs cook evenly. (Never thought explaining scrambling eggs would be this involved… )
- Once the cheesy spinach-filled egg scramble is cooked, spoon the egg mixture into taco shells. Top them with black beans, and whatever else you fancy. We like to add juicy diced tomatoes, creamy avocado, tangy pico de gallo, and a drizzle of hot sauce. Oh, and extra cheese, of course. A nice squeeze of fresh lime juice brightens things up as well.
- Serve the tacos while the eggs are warm. These tacos are perfect for breakfast or brunch, but they're also incredible for those nights where you're hankering breakfast for dinner!