Food/ Instant Pot/ Main Dishes/ Poultry

Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos

Close up of Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos.

Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos drizzled with taco sauce.

Bring Taco Tuesday perfection to your dinner table in 10 minutes with these easy Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos.

It’s been a while since I’ve brought you a Taco Tuesday recipe! The bonus here is that this one is quick and no-frills. A quick glance at my taco archives suggests that I get a little excited when it comes to tacos. Like grilled jerk fish tacos, chipotle chicken tacos, and shrimp tacos with mango habanero salsa. All delicious and totally worth the effort—but some nights, a simple ground meat taco is all we need. Especially one that takes a measly 10 minutes to make :)

Quick and simple dinners are definitely going to become a staple in our home this year because, if you follow my Instagram stories you might have already learned, I’m pregnant! (It’s happening!) And I don’t know WHAT to expect. I’m fortunate enough to have flexibility since I work at home and for myself. And my husband gets a generous amount of paternity leave. But! I’m also realistic enough to know it’s not going to be a walk in the park.

So yeah. If I can have a few 10-minute dinners up my sleeve—ones that are also wholesome and filling—I’ll be a damn happy camper.

Plus, who doesn’t want to watch their wife cram a taco into her mouth while she nurses? Hahaha, awkward laugh, haha. (:P)

Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos laid out on table.

Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos.

What kind of taco eater are you? Hard shell, or soft? I can never decide, so I always opt for the box that contains both. I love to bite into a good crunch, but I also appreciate a soft and pillowy tortilla shell.

This recipe keeps things incredibly simple with basic ingredients. Ground turkey goes into the Instant Pot with some chunky salsa and canned green chilies; after that, all you need is some shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, and juicy diced tomatoes! Of course, hot sauce and sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt are also fab options. I pile my tacos with everything, like a savage.

Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos with all the fixin's.

Don’t have an Instant Pot?

No worries; I got you! This recipe can easily be done in a regular ol’ skillet on the stove. The only changes to be made would be to use 1/2 cup of salsa to start (add more later if you want it saucier), and drain the can of chilies. All of that extra liquid is necessary in the IP, but not on the stovetop.

If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations, and you could be featured in my monthly newsletter <3

Close up of Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos.

Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos

These Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos are ready in 10 minutes, making them perfect for weeknight dinners. Especially Taco Tuesday!

Course Main Course
Cuisine Mexican, Tacos
Keyword easy, healthy, Instant Pot, tacos
Servings 10 Servings

• 1-1.5 lb ground turkey
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 cup chunky salsa
  • 2 TBSP taco seasoning I used my homemade blend; find it in the notes!
  • 4 oz canned green chilies (not drained)
  • 6 taco shells, hard and/or soft; whichever your prefer!

Toppings (all optional/adaptable)

• Diced tomatoes
  • Shredded lettuce
  • Shredded cheese (I like to use a Mexican blend)
  • Hot sauce
  • Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt

1. Press the sauté function button on your Instant Pot and let the pot get warm. Add olive oil, then add the ground turkey. Let the ground turkey simmer for about two minutes, stirring occasionally, just to lightly brown it.

2. Turn the sauté function off. Add the taco seasoning, the salsa, and the green chilies (liquid from can included). Give everything a good stir to evenly distribute seasoning.

3. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure it's locked into place. Ensure that the valve is pointing towards "sealing". Finally, cook everything for 8 minutes on high pressure.

4. While the turkey cooks, prep your toppings and set them aside.

5. When the Instant Pot beeps, indicating that it's done, carefully move the valve to *venting* for a quick release. Be cautious as hot steam will spit out of the valve. Once all of the steam escapes, open the lid and give everything a stir.

6. Serve on tacos with your favorite toppings!

Give my homemade taco seasoning a whirl!

Don't have an Instant Pot?

No worries; I got you! This recipe can easily be done in a regular ol' skillet on the stove. The only changes to be made would be to use 1/2 cup of salsa to start (add more later if you want it saucier), and drain the can of chilies. All of that extra liquid is necessary in the IP, but not on the stovetop.

Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos

Homemade Flour Tortillas | Killing Thyme
    March 22, 2019 at 9:20 pm […] for some scrumptious taco recipes to fill these beauties? Try my quick weeknight-friendly Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos or my Shrimp Tacos With Mango Habanero […]
    Tender Greek Turkey Burgers | Killing Thyme
    March 6, 2019 at 11:00 am […] Looking for more recipes that swap ground beef for ground turkey? Check out my Tender Turkey Meatballs With Easy Marinara Sauce and my Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos. […]
    Jennifer @ The Mommy's Review
    February 28, 2019 at 6:42 pm I made these tonight but got a burn notice! I did my best to scrape any bits of turkey off after the browning. Do you have any tips to avoid that in the future? I wound up putting it on sautee for a few minutes with my glass lid, so everything was fully cooked and DELICIOUS! The only change I made to the recipe was that instead of using the green chiles, I used about 5 oz of diced tomatoes with green chiles (including the liquid). Thank you for any advice!

March 1, 2019 at 9:40 am Hi Jennifer! Those darn burn notices. At what point of the cooking process did that happen? It's never happened to me before, but it did happen to someone else who tried this recipe, so I'm definitely committed to getting to the bottom of this. Was the burn notice during your initial ground turkey sauté? Or during the pressure cooking process?
    Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken With Rice and Cashews | Killing Thyme
    February 15, 2019 at 3:37 pm […] chicken and taco recipes have become my true comfort zone with the ol’ IP. But in an effort to change things […]
    Samantha
    January 25, 2019 at 1:28 pm I got an instant pot for christmas and this was the first thing I made with it! It was awesome! I'm so excited about this gadget and I'm definitely trying out your other ip recipes :)

January 25, 2019 at 1:31 pm The IP is a great gadget to have! I was so hesitant about it at first, and then once I did get it, I was afraid to use it. Lol. Glad I shook it off, because the thing is fabulous. I'm really glad you loved the tacos! Hope you love the other recipes too. Keep me posted!
    Healthy Curry Chicken Salad With Grapes {Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich} | Killing Thyme
    January 22, 2019 at 12:40 pm […] sour cream for this good stuff, I’ve been using it in so many things. I plop it onto my tacos, I use it in dips—I even make salad dressings with it. It adds the perfect amount of creaminess […]
    Traci
    January 14, 2019 at 11:41 am Turkey tacos are the perfect use for ground turkey any time of the year! I love the super simple ingredients and hassle-free assembly AND of course, the fact that we're using the Instant Pot. Love how quick I can get dinner on the table and BONUS that these double as game day grub. Thanks for another great recipe, Dana :)

January 15, 2019 at 2:59 pm Yes! Game day grub! I hadn't even thought of that. Might have to make these for Super Bowl ;)
    Christina Shoemaker
    January 14, 2019 at 8:12 am I’m a soft taco person myself! Just love those tortillas packed full of way too much of everything!! This is delicious and so easy. And in the instant pot!! Perfect for weeknight dinners. I really love that you used ground turkey instead of beef. Such a simple and tasty healthy swap!!

Tracy
    January 13, 2019 at 10:43 pm Oh my god, CONGRATS!! That's SOOOOO exciting!! You're right though - there's no way to know what to expect! I read a LOT of books before our daughter was born and, well, she taught us that all you can do is be prepared to not know what you're doing and that you'll learn as you go - the baby will teach you. And all the easy delicious no frills meals will be your saving grace!

January 15, 2019 at 3:01 pm Thanks, girl! And I love that you've said this, because that's pretty much what I've figured. I've skipped the baby books except for one called "Bringing Up Bebe". It focuses on the more relaxed yet still nurturing and involved style of parenting of France; the book is speaking my language! But yeah. There's so much pressure to take classes and read certain books, and I'm avoiding all of it. haha.
    Annemarie
    January 13, 2019 at 9:06 pm Congratulations on the tiny foodie to be. :) You are definitely starting them out right with these yummy tacos! The instant pot is such a great way to infuse flavor, and so easy too that I can see making these a lot. With soft tacos and all the toppings.

Sean@Diversivore
    January 13, 2019 at 1:28 pm If piling your tacos with everything makes you a savage then say goodbye to civilization, I'm moving into the wilderness. They have tacos in the wilderness right? I don't know that I've ever used turkey to make tacos but I'm definitely into it. Ground turkey is fun to work with, and I love how it's sort of chicken-y but different (which, let's face it, is nice when you're getting tired of chicken). Also, soft tacos FTW. I love crunch as much as the next guy, but I always feel like a hard taco is going to shatter when I bite into it. Haha.

January 15, 2019 at 3:05 pm Haha, my Dad and I were conversing about how yummy hard shell tacos are, but how much he hates the mess. (I've somehow mastered how to bite into/handle a hard taco.) He loves the crunch, so he's going to try wrapping a soft taco shell around the hard taco shell the next time. You know, to catch any debris. What a problem solver!
    Trish
    January 12, 2019 at 5:54 pm Girl, congrats on that little one you're brewing! You will definitely want (ahem... need) some easy recipes in your arsenal. That and a ton of coffee and chocolate cake. LOL! Loving these tacos and how easy they are! I see an IP dinner in our future. :)

January 15, 2019 at 3:07 pm Thanks, Trish! Haha, heck yes on the coffee. It's funny. I'm allowed 16 oz per day, but I've been sticking to my usual 12 oz cup. Which I was fine with even before I was pregnant. But now I want more. I have a feeling I'll be drinking 24 oz of it once the bun leaves the oven.
    Holly
    January 12, 2019 at 4:46 pm Taco Tuesday is a REAL thing and I live it on Tuesdays and probably at least one other night of the week too. I like your recipe for turkey tacos in the Instant Pot. Faster is better when it comes to tacos!

Marisa Franca
    January 12, 2019 at 1:49 pm YUM!! What a great dinner idea not just for the kiddos but for the adults as well. I don't have an Instant Pot but I like your ingredients so I'm going to modify and make it either slow cooker or in the Dutch Oven.

January 15, 2019 at 3:09 pm Let me know which method you use and how it works out for you :)
    Carmy
    January 11, 2019 at 2:21 pm These tacos are mouthwatering!! I love using turkey for my tacos since they're leaner so I can get away with some extra cheesey toppings haha. I can never decide between soft shell and hard shell so I usually go for one of each! The hard shells can break easily but I love how well they hold up the filling.

Debra
    January 10, 2019 at 9:42 am OMG....I saw these on instagram and my mouth was watering so I had to hop over here to get the recipe. I'm delighted how quick and simple these are to make....plus healthy too! Bonus. Congratulations....how exciting becoming a momma is!!

January 15, 2019 at 3:10 pm Thanks, Debra! Really looking forward to it :)
    Tina
    January 8, 2019 at 10:33 pm I'm actually a soft taco fan. I do like crunch with my food but there is something very tactile about wrapping my fingers around a taco, kinda like pizza. I have never made a ground turkey taco but I think that is such a great twist on this Tuesday American tradition. Definitely going to have to make this!

Gloria
    January 8, 2019 at 4:20 pm Ground turkey is underused. Love the sound of these. We have tacos all the time...it is one of our fun family meals. I don't have an Instant Pot, but I do have a pressure cooker. I know I can adapt to make this work. Sounds like a plan for the weekend.