It’s been a while since I’ve brought you a Taco Tuesday recipe! The bonus here is that this one is quick and no-frills. A quick glance at my taco archives suggests that I get a little excited when it comes to tacos. Like grilled jerk fish tacos, chipotle chicken tacos, and shrimp tacos with mango habanero salsa. All delicious and totally worth the effort—but some nights, a simple ground meat taco is all we need. Especially one that takes a measly 10 minutes to make :)
Quick and simple dinners are definitely going to become a staple in our home this year because, if you follow my Instagram stories you might have already learned, I’m pregnant! (It’s happening!) And I don’t know WHAT to expect. I’m fortunate enough to have flexibility since I work at home and for myself. And my husband gets a generous amount of paternity leave. But! I’m also realistic enough to know it’s not going to be a walk in the park.
So yeah. If I can have a few 10-minute dinners up my sleeve—ones that are also wholesome and filling—I’ll be a damn happy camper.
Plus, who doesn’t want to watch their wife cram a taco into her mouth while she nurses? Hahaha, awkward laugh, haha. (:P)
Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos.
What kind of taco eater are you? Hard shell, or soft? I can never decide, so I always opt for the box that contains both. I love to bite into a good crunch, but I also appreciate a soft and pillowy tortilla shell.
This recipe keeps things incredibly simple with basic ingredients. Ground turkey goes into the Instant Pot with some chunky salsa and canned green chilies; after that, all you need is some shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, and juicy diced tomatoes! Of course, hot sauce and sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt are also fab options. I pile my tacos with everything, like a savage.
Don’t have an Instant Pot?
No worries; I got you! This recipe can easily be done in a regular ol’ skillet on the stove. The only changes to be made would be to use 1/2 cup of salsa to start (add more later if you want it saucier), and drain the can of chilies. All of that extra liquid is necessary in the IP, but not on the stovetop.
If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations, and you could be featured in my monthly newsletter <3
Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos
- 1-1.5 lb ground turkey
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 2 TBSP taco seasoning I used my homemade blend; find it in the notes!
- 4 oz canned green chilies (not drained)
- 6 taco shells, hard and/or soft; whichever your prefer!
Toppings (all optional/adaptable)
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese (I like to use a Mexican blend)
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Press the sauté function button on your Instant Pot and let the pot get warm. Add olive oil, then add the ground turkey. Let the ground turkey simmer for about two minutes, stirring occasionally, just to lightly brown it.
- Turn the sauté function off. Add the taco seasoning, the salsa, and the green chilies (liquid from can included). Give everything a good stir to evenly distribute seasoning.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure it's locked into place. Ensure that the valve is pointing towards "sealing". Finally, cook everything for 8 minutes on high pressure.
- While the turkey cooks, prep your toppings and set them aside.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, indicating that it's done, carefully move the valve to *venting* for a quick release. Be cautious as hot steam will spit out of the valve. Once all of the steam escapes, open the lid and give everything a stir.
- Serve on tacos with your favorite toppings!