Soup season, I am HERE for you. And this easy one-pot cauliflower soup is just the beginning.
As a hard-wired Northerner, September always puts a bounce in my step because the best time of year is creeping up: fall. But now that I’m in NC, I have to remind myself that the crisp breeze and crunchy leaves tumbling through the streets aren’t likely until late October. But! I’m not the only one in the South filled with untimely excitement. Even here, pumpkin spice lattes are being frothed, department stores are adorned with skeletons, and ads for the State Fair are circulating hard. Which inevitably helps us believe that we’ll be romping around the fairgrounds in no time—hot cider in one hand, and some kind of deep-fried monstrosity in the other.
Easy One-Pot Cauliflower Soup.
I’m kicking soup season off with this creamy bowl of delish because cauliflower soup is nostalgic to me and, frankly, I don’t eat cauliflower often enough. My husband hates it, so having it for dinner is out of the question. But it’s a fab lunch option when blended into a wholesome soup.
I’ve made things super simple here by keeping everything in one pot—plus a blender, but that’s optional. If you have an immersion blender, you can keep everything in your pot and blend away. Because I love a velvety smooth texture, I opt to transfer the roasted ingredients to my trusty Vitamix. That thing never lets me down.
Roasting all of the ingredients brings a deep, warm, and rich flavor to the soup which I find perfect for fall… or the time spent dreaming about fall before fall. Like now.
To add an herbaceous and nutty twist, I like to whirl in some pesto and top my bowl off with some heart-healthy walnuts.
I hope everyone is ready for ALL the soups, because I’ve got a lot of ideas brewing :)
In the meantime, if you’re into a classic tomato soup with grilled cheese, you need this gem of a recipe in your life stat.
If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations, and you could be featured in my monthly newsletter <3
Easy One-Pot Cauliflower Soup
- 1 large head of cauliflower, or two smaller heads
- 1 sweet onion, rough chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 Dutch oven
- 1 immersion blender or high-powered blender
- Pre-heat the oven to 450° F.
- Cut the cauliflower into near bite-sized florets. Rinse them off, shake them to rid of excess water, and transfer them to your Dutch oven. Add the onion, garlic cloves, thyme, olive oil, and spices. Give everything a good stir to distribute the oil and seasonings as best as you can.
- Place the Dutch oven into the oven, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until most of your veggies start to take on a golden color. Stir the contents of the Dutch oven every 15 minutes or so during cooking time.
- When done, remove the Dutch oven and set it onto the stovetop; stir well.
- Add the broth, milk, and nutritional yeast. If you have an immersion blender, use it to blend all of the contents in the Dutch oven until smooth, or until you've reached the consistency/texture you prefer. If you don't have an immersion blender or if you prefer a perfectly smooth purée, transfer the contents to a high-powered blender, like a Vitamix, and blend until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender, you may have to do this in batches.
- Taste, and season with extra salt and pepper if need be, to your liking.Serve with a drizzle of pesto, walnuts, and microgreens (topping optional).