We are oh-so-due for a taco recipe here at KT, and I’ve been *really* looking forward to bringing these Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Tacos to you.
When I first moved to Raleigh, celebrating Taco Tuesday became a weekly ritual within the first few months. As a wildling from the North, taco accessibility was incredibly new and exciting. I was pescetarian at the time and fell head over heels for our usual spot’s shrimp and fish tacos. And I remain dedicated to them to this day! Because after introducing poultry back into my diet and trying their other tacos, I quickly learned that this place’s seafood tacos are all they have going for them.
Well that, and $2 Tecates.
The chicken tacos are hella bland, and after trying a few of them, I grew determined to make ridiculously delicious, tender, and crave-worthy chicken tacos at home.
So I did.
Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Tacos.
Yep, I’m playing with the Instant Pot again. I had such a great response to my Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma Lettuce Wraps that I knew some type of tender shredded juicy chicken taco had to happen.
Not only is this recipe incredibly easy, but it’s completely adaptable. You can control the punch with how much hot sauce you add, and you can use any of your favorite taco toppings. I love making things fresh, crunchy, and colorful for my photoshoots—which works out nicely because it also tastes delicious. But don’t feel like you have to limit yourself to my toppings. If you want to go bananas with some chili con queso and jalapeños or keep things tame with shredded lettuce and cheese, by all means :)
If you’re looking to celebrate Taco Tuesday weekly like we do and need some selection, browse my collection:
- Crispy Chipotle Chickpea Tacos (vegetarian)
- Shrimp Tacos with Mango Habanero Salsa (pescetarian)
- Grilled Jerk Fish Tacos With Tangy Peach Salsa (pesceterian)
- Sweet and Spicy Salmon Tacos With Apple Almond Slaw (pescetarian)
- Easy Fish Tacos With Jalapeño Brisling Sardines (pescetarian)
If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations, and you could be featured in my monthly newsletter <3
Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- 8-10 tortillas or hard shell tacos
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2-4 TBSP chipotle hot sauce (use as much or as little as you want, depending on heat preference)
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- A few cracks of black pepper
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Grated or crumbled cheese of choice
- Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Or create your own topping combo!
- Place olive oil, chicken, tomatoes, onions, lime juice, hot sauce, and spices into the Instant Pot. Give the contents a good stir in order to coat the chicken and mix everything up.
- Cover the Instant Pot, securing the lid into a locked position. Make sure the nozzle is set to "sealing", and set the Instant Pot to High pressure for 12 minutes. While the Instant Pot does its thing, you can prepare your condiments.
- When the Instant Pot signals that it's finished and the chicken is done, carefully hit the nozzle for a quick release. Once all the steam has escaped, remove the lid. With two forks, shred the chicken until it's completely pulled and shredded and soaking up all those juices. Then, with a slotted spoon, transfer the shredded chicken to a serving bowl; discard any of the extra juice that's left in the pot.
- Serve the chicken with tortillas or taco shells and load your taco up with your preferred toppings.