Cocktails/ Collaboration/ Drinks/ Featured/ Food/ Vegan

Cooling Cucumber Mint Gin Fizz + Lime

Glasses of cucumber mint gin fizz with ingredients sprawled around them.

When it comes to cooling myself off in the heat of a North Carolinian summer, I’m all about a crisp flavor with dancing fizz. In a world of craft beer snobbery, I have to sometimes tuck my proverbial tail between my legs and order a light golden lager to quench my thirst—especially if the mountains on the can are telling me it’s certified cold. (I’m a marketer’s dream.) Sorry, but when it’s hot, heavy beers just don’t work for me.

Last summer I brought you this effervescent Blueberry Lemon Vodka Fizz and gosh, if I could blog about that one again, I would. But I’m pretty excited about this Cooling Cucumber Mint Gin Fizz too, because when I say cooling, I mean it. The refreshing sensation flows down your esophagus to rejuvenate you while you slave over the grill or tend to your vegetable garden under the beaming sun. And actually, if you’re growing your own cucumbers and mint, you can bring your vegetable garden to your cocktail; how’s that for appreciating this summer’s bounty?

Cooling Cucumber Mint Gin Fizz.

My favorite thing about this fizzy concoction is that it’s super low cal and it isn’t sweet. I’m not keen on sugary drink which is why this idea stuck with me; I also have an aversion to making complex cocktails. If you haven’t noticed by now, I have a specific formula to most of my alcoholic beverages: white alcohol—sometimes flavored, a stream of sparkling water, a splash of citrus, and fresh herbs if I’m feeling extra. I actually added bitters to this one—pretty bold! But they’re optional.

I do wish I could hop onto this chic bourbon train everyone seems to be riding, but I can’t seem to hitch a ride on it without falling off and somersaulting into a bush to vomit.

Thus, refreshing and easy-on-the-belly drinks is what you’ll find here.

This post is part of the #FBCConnectingOverCocktails collaboration.

If you’re looking for something a little more bougie, scope out what my pals are slingin’ at the end of this post. You won’t be disappointed by what these muddling mixologists have shaken and stirred.

On that note, I can’t believe this is our third summer connecting over cocktails. And my, how far we’ve come. A few of us OGs in the group have gotten to watch one another bud into successful bloggers over the last year after our fair share of growing pains. (And a lot of comparing notes over drinks!) But despite expanding horizons and hectic schedules, we’ve managed to hold onto this tradition and I am so so glad. We started this collab as nod to friendships within the blogging circle—one that can often see more competition than camaraderie. We choose to raise a glass to our fellow creatives who not only get to bask in the greatness of being creators, but also understand the struggles.

Bloggin’ life is beautiful, but it ain’t easy.

So, we drink.

If you make this drink, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations, and you could be featured in my monthly newsletter <3

Now. See what the others are serving up! {Due to timezone differences, some posts may not be live yet. Be sure to check back!}

JustineCelina.com | Japanese Lilac Gin Lemonade

My Kitchen Love | Blackberry Mojito

Cooking in my Genes | Strawberry Lemonade Rosé Punch

Diversivore | Ume Highball

Cooling Cucumber Mint Gin Fizz

You'll be hooked on this refreshing and rejuvenating gin cocktail incorporating lime-flavored sparkling water, a splash of lime juice, cucumbers, and fresh mint.

• 1.5 oz good quality gin
  • 4-6 oz lime-flavored sparkling water
  • 1/2 tsp freshly-squeezed lime juice
  • 3-4 cucumber slices or cucumber ribbons
  • 4-6 fresh mint leaves, rinsed and patted dry
  • 1-2 splashes of bitters (optional)
  • Lime wedges, for garnish You can also garnish with extra cucumber and mint, if you'd like
  • A handful of ice

1. Drop a handful of ice into a glass. Carefully place the cucumber slices and mint leaves in and around the ice. Add the lime juice, and finally, pour over the sparkling water. Add 1-2 dashes of bitters (optional).

With a straw or a stir-stick, gently mix and stir the drink. Garnish with a lime (add an extra spritz of fresh lime juice if you'd like!) and enjoy.

22 Low Sugar Cocktails That Are Gluten & Dairy Free – What Great Grandma Ate
    January 7, 2019 at 5:30 pm […] Cooling Cucumber Mint Gin Fizz by Killing Thyme […]
    Amy Nash
    July 25, 2018 at 4:30 pm Love these refreshing flavors and man oh man those cucumber ribbons are the prettiest garnish I've ever seen on a drink!

Marisa Franca
    July 23, 2018 at 7:48 am What a beautiful presentation. Not only does the drink look refreshing, but it sounds fantastic. Yes, summer has been hot here too and that beverage would be welcome in the sultry afternoon.

Annemarie
    July 21, 2018 at 10:39 pm I am also in awe of your cucumber ribbons! The shape and the contrast of the colors are quite lovely. And the drink itself looks so refreshing! Simple and cool and tart - perfect for sipping on a hot day.

Stef
    July 21, 2018 at 11:13 am Your photos are so stunning! You need to post a tutorial on how to make such pretty cucumber ribbons. Mine never come out quite that pretty. This drink sounds so totally refreshing. I love that it's not too sweet.

Jennifer Bigler
    July 21, 2018 at 10:00 am "and so we drink", yes and cheers! I am not a fan of mixed drinks, but this beauty is right up my alley. I am obsessed with anything cucumber mint and then you made it fizz! I am going to make these for our next BBQ and feel refreshed. It is really hot here and I need cocktails that cool me down.

Patty
    July 21, 2018 at 5:08 am Such beautiful pictures Dana! This drink hits the spot with me as I don't like sweet cocktail. Cucumber and mint are the best in Summer, can't wait for happy hour to make us one of these!

michele
    July 20, 2018 at 11:14 pm No added sugar , a spectacular garnish and it just screams summer! And the fact that I have everything for this to serve for a pool party tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

Carmy
    July 19, 2018 at 2:16 pm The photos here look BEAUTIFUL! Especially those ribbons. You're making me crave a couple glasses of these bad boys. I love that you didn't add any sugar and yet, this drink sounds like a breath of fresh air. They sounds so perfect for the summer heat wave.

Lisa Lotts
    July 19, 2018 at 12:11 pm I'm with you, not a fan of overly sweet cocktails and living in South Florida -- ANYTHING certified ICY COLD is a MUST! This is an ideal thirst quenching cocktail -- I love gin and cucumber together especially with an effervescent quality. How fun that you've got a group of other bloggers to share your favorite cocktails with. Sounds like a dynamite weekly happy hour - and I wish I lived near you!

Gloria
    July 18, 2018 at 9:04 pm What a beautiful looking cocktail. I love the garnish. Cucumber and mint is a winning combination. Especially in the HOT weather we have been having. I would love trying vodka in this too.

Sean@Diversivore
    July 17, 2018 at 7:03 pm Dana, it's a crying shame that we haven't had a drink together yet, because we clearly have very similar tastes in cocktails. And beer. But I'll still drink dark beer in the summer (also hot coffee, because life is short so go hard, right?). This is all kinds of refreshing! Love the way you've garnished too - really embracing that cucumber appeal. I mean, this is practically a salad, so I can enjoy it any time, right? RIGHT? Cheers, and here's to another awesome Cocktail collab. Always fun posting with you.

Justine | JustineCelina.com
    July 17, 2018 at 11:24 am Dana, what a wonderfully lighthearted recipe with beautiful styling! This cocktail is right up my alley and I can't wait to try it -- there's a major heatwave in Calgary right now and this cooling elixir is what's been missing in my life. I love the combination of ingredients you have happening here! As always, it's a pleasure collaborating with you and I truly treasure the friendship we've formed along this crazy roller coaster ride that is blogging. Cheers to many more rounds of Connecting Over Cocktails!

JAPANESE LILAC GIN LEMONADE + PARLOUR GIN GIVEAWAY! - JustineCelina
    July 17, 2018 at 12:26 am […] Dana at Killing Thyme’s Cooling Cucumber Mint Gin Fizz […]
    Samantha Dawn
    July 14, 2018 at 6:36 pm Beautiful drink Dana! I like how you added that extra pop of lime in the lime flavoured soda; will possibly quench my thirst just a tiny bit more!!

Jessica
    July 14, 2018 at 11:11 am Mint and cucumbers, a match made in cocktail heaven! LOVE how simple and refreshing this one is, can’t wait to try! Cheers to another fab Connecting over Cocktails collab!!

Beth
    July 13, 2018 at 12:47 pm That is such a gorgeous, refreshing cocktail! I love cucumber and gin in the summer! Wonderful photos and presentation, as well!

Ashley
    July 13, 2018 at 12:13 pm Cucumber just screams SUMMER to me. I love putting it in drinks! It's also one of the few ways I tolerate gin...
    Kristine
    July 13, 2018 at 12:07 pm Fresh, easy, and delicious! This is my kind of cocktail! So perfect for summertime - making this!

Meredith
    July 13, 2018 at 11:29 am Gorgeous gin fizz (and I love that it doesn't contain any added sugar)!!! Those cucumber ribbons... oh my. I can't wait to try this recipe this weekend. It looks like the perfect, refreshing summer cocktail!

Catherine Brown
    July 13, 2018 at 11:20 am OMG, those cucumber ribbons are the BEST! This is the perfect summer drink!