Menu
Food / Sauces, Dressings + Spice Blends / Vegetarian

Easy Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy

I’m not one to boast when I’m right about something (If my husband is reading this, he is coming to call me out right now), but when it comes to proving meat eaters wrong about vegetarians missing out, yeah. I like to bask in that feeling. I bask in it hard.

When you cut meats like beef + poultry out of your diet, you don’t always immediately realize what you’re saying goodbye to. Things come to you gradually as time passes and when the holidays roll around, there may be a *facepalm* or two.

Because gravy.

I can do without the turkey, but the scrumptious stuffing and fluffy mashed potatoes are a must — and you can’t eat those things nekkid. What am I going to drizzle on my shizzle? This realization caused a wave of anxiety to rush over me. My head spun. You might even say I went off the rails on a gravy train…

What’s a veg-head to do?

Get creative. Hit the kitchen, raid the pantry, test things out and make things work — ’cause that’s what we do.

And then we boast about it.

No meat drippings? It’s still gravy, baby.

Easy Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy

If you’re the vegetarian in your family, lug this good stuff to your TG dinner; if you’re hosting and have vegetarian guests, be a gracious host, will ya?

This shit’s so good, it’ll even float a meat-eaters gravy boat.

HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE? SNAP A PIC AND TAG ME ON INSTA! @KILLING__THYME/#KILLINGTHYME

Easy Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy

Miso brings the umami we crave to this mushroom gravy. This is a holiday dinner must for any vegetarian!
Course Sauce, Side, Vegetarian
Cuisine Vegetarian
Author Killing Thyme

• 1 Tbsp butter
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 2 Tbsp shallots minced
  • 1 cup roughly chopped baby bella mushrooms
  • 1 TBSP Miso paste
  • 2 cup vegetable stock
  • 2 Tbsp Corn starch

• In a small saucepan, melt butter over moderate heat.
  • Add the garlic and shallots, and simmer until garlic is fragrant and shallots are tender — approx. 2 minutes. Stir often to avoid browning the garlic.
  • Add the chopped mushrooms and miso paste. Stir to coat, and cook for another 2 minutes.
  • Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Carefully transfer the contents of the saucepan to a blender or food processor. Set the saucepan aside (you'll need it again).
  • Blend until smooth. You may end up with small bits of mushroom, but that's fine. Your gravy won't feel textured or lumpy.
  • Once smooth, carefully transfer the mixture back to the saucepan.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Add corn starch, as per the instructions on the package, to thicken the mixture to your liking. (See notes.)
  • Once you achieve the level of thickness you want, transfer the gravy to a gravy boat and serve.

Notes

For most corn starch, all you need to do is mix 1/4 cup cold water with 2 Tbsp corn starch. Stir vigorously until corn starch is well blended into the water and there are no clumps. Then, gradually whisk the corn starch mixture into your boiling sauce. It will thicken almost immediately. But again, double check with the directions on the package,

• […] and the meaty gravy creating a pool of regret in my fluffy mashed potatoes. The solution to this? Vegetarian gravy and this bad ass vegetarian […]

• Mallory
    November 16, 2017 at 8:25 am

Can you make this in advance?

• Killing Thyme
      November 16, 2017 at 8:47 am

Hi Mallory, yes you can! I did last year. It will become gelatinous in the fridge just like any gravy, but just plop it into your saucepan, heat it up, and add a bit of extra liquid as needed (water or veg broth).

• Naterlee
    November 5, 2016 at 4:44 pm

I hate to be a party pooper but you know there’s anchovie in Worcestershire sauce right?
    I always thought it was just meat eaters and pescetarians who were down with fish

• Killing Thyme
      November 5, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Hey Naterlee,
      Why is spreading knowledge being a party pooper? I’m glad you said something – I’m going to edit this asap. I had no idea Worcestershire had anchovies in it. Excellent to know. Thanks!

• Naterlee
        November 6, 2016 at 4:35 am

You were so excited about the gravy and I felt I was ruining that. I’m glad youre not offended. For the record I’m a meat eater and a gravy enthusiast so it won’t stop me :)

• Killing Thyme
          November 6, 2016 at 9:54 am

Not at all – I’m glad you spoke up! Now I’m excited that I’ve learned something about Worcestershire. Haha. <3

• leslie-anne
    November 3, 2016 at 10:11 am

Looks great! I love the idea of lugging around your own gravy to thanksgiving. I’ve been known to have a small glass jar of coconut milk in my purse for coffee!

• Justine
    October 29, 2016 at 1:11 am

Oh YUUUUMMMMMMMM. Now I have no idea what I’m going to make for our recipe nod challenge! I have so many amazing options to choose from — but regardless, I’m going to Pin this anyway because it looks bomb. ;)

• Brittany at I Love Vegan
    October 28, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Ohh yeah, I hear you! Fall and Winter feel like a vegatarians’ time to shine. “Think I can’t eat stuffing or gravy? HAHA!” This gravy sounds delicious! I usually thicken mine with a roux but I’ll have to try your recipe with cornstarch. It looks SO good. Thanks for sharing!

• Julia (@imagelicious)
    October 28, 2016 at 1:40 pm

I can just imagine how intensely flavourful his gravy is. In fact, I’m going to go as far as saying that it might be more flavourful than beef/turkey gravy even. Love it!