Spring Snap Pea and Radish Canapés with King Oscar Sardines
Fresh baguette slices are slathered with lemony anchovy butter, then topped with crisp radishes, sweet peas, tender brisling sardines, and fresh dill for the perfect spring appetizer.
Lemon Anchovy Butter.
- 1/2 cup softened butter (1 stick)
- 1 2 oz can of King Oscar anchovy fillets, drained
- 1 lemon, zested, then cut into wedges
Spring Canapés with Sardines.
- 1 fresh French baguette, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices (you should get about 16)
- 2-4 red radishes, thinly sliced (preferably with a mandolin on the thinnest setting) Amount of radishes depends on their size and how thinly you can slice them, so eyeball it.
- 1/4 cup peas Fresh peas are preferred. Sugar snap peas work wonderfully. If you can't get your hands on fresh, get frozen and thaw them prior to preparing your canapés.
- 2 TBSP freshly chopped dill
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 can of King Oscar brisling sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil; two layer or cross-pack. *See notes.
In a small bowl, thoroughly mix the butter, minced anchovy fillets, and lemon zest. Set aside.
Spread anchovy butter over one side of each baguette slice
Top each baguette slice with a few radish slices, peas, and a sardine fillet. Top with freshly chopped dill and drizzle with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
King Oscar's Brisling Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil are available in a two layer pack with 12-22 fish and a cross-pack with 24-38 fish. Distribute the sardines over the crostini as you see fit depending on which tin you purchase.
Want to kick things up? King Oscar's Cracked Black Pepper brisling sardines would be a great substitute in this recipe.