Cold Soba Noodle Salad With Spicy Peanut Sauce
Too hot to grill or use the stove? These chilled soba noodles are tossed in a spicy peanut sauce along with crisp goodies like cucumber, carrots, radishes, edamame, and crunchy peanuts for a refreshing meal or side that will cool you and nourish you.
- 16 oz soba noodles
- 1 sweet bell pepper (orange, yellow, or red) gutted and julienned
- 1/2 cup julienned radishes
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup julienned cucumber
- 1/2 TBSP edamame boiled and lightly salted
- 3-4 TBSP scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts roughly chopped
- 1-2 TBSP black sesame seeds
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 2 TBSP sesame oil
- 2 TBSP minced ginger
- 2 TBSP minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 3 TBSP low sodium Kikkoman soy sauce
- 2 TBSP natural honey
- 2 TBSP rice vinegar
- 2 TBSP sambal oelek more or less, depending on your heat preference
- 1/4 cup cool water
Garnishes (using extra of the already used ingredients)
- roughly chopped peanuts
- thinly sliced scallions
- black sesame seeds
Cook soba noodles as per the instructions on the packaging. When ready, drain and rinse under cool water, tossing with your hands, until the noodles have completely cooled. Drizzle a small splash of sesame oil over them and toss to coat, again with your hands; this keeps them from sticking together. Set in the fridge to cool further.
Spicy Peanut Sauce
Place all of the ingredients for the peanut sauce into a blender and blend until smooth. If you find it to be too thick, you can add a bit more water and blend until you reach your preferred consistency. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add the cooled soba noodles, bell pepper, radishes, carrots, cucumber, edamame, scallions, parsley, peanuts, and sesame seeds. Give it a quick toss with your hands.
Drizzle the spicy peanut sauce over the noodles and, with tongs or salad forks, gently toss and tumble the salad until evenly coated with the sauce.
Garnish with extra ingredients on top for a colorful presentation.This dish keeps well in the fridge as leftovers for up to a week!