Beer Butter Mushrooms
Jam-packed with flavor, these Beer Butter Mushrooms work as a side to just about any main, any time of the year. They're also great on burgers or pizza!
Servings 4 people
- 16 oz mushrooms (*See notes) I like using button mushrooms or cremini/baby bella mushrooms.
- 3-4 TBSP butter
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 cup pilsner/lager style beer
- 1 TBSP fresh chopped oregano
- 1 TBSP fresh chopped thyme
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
Melt the butter in a skillet or large pan over moderate heat. Add the garlic and simmer for about 30 seconds or until it's fragrant and softened, about 30 seconds. Stir a few times throughout to prevent it from browning.
Add the mushrooms to the skillet, then toss them to evenly coat them in melted butter.
Slowly pour the beer over the mushrooms and bring everything to a simmer on medium-low heat.
Stir in the fresh herbs, kosher salt, and cracked black pepper.
Let the mushrooms cook for about 25-30 minutes or until all of the mushrooms have soaked up all of the liquid, stirring occasionally.
* Mushrooms: Any type of mushroom will work with this recipe. The only thing to really consider is how you're using them, and whether you want to keep them whole, quarter them, or slice them. As a side, small button mushrooms can be left whole. Larger mushrooms, like cremini or baby bella, should be quartered. And if you're planning on using them as a topping to something, like the aforementioned pizza and burger, you'll want to slice them.
* Yields 4 servings