Quick and Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce Recipe
Calling for just eight ingredients and 20 minutes of simmer time, this unfussy marinara is perfect for impromptu weeknight pasta. Or, use it as a dipping sauce!
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, more to taste
- 3 TBSP chopped fresh oregano
- 2 TBSP chopped fresh basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp chili flakes—or more, to increase heat to your preference
Heat olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for about a minute. Stir in the garlic and sauté for another few minutes, or until the onions are tender.
Add the crushed tomatoes and increase the heat to medium-high to bring to a simmer. Add the salt and stir in the oregano, basil, bay leaf, and chili flakes. Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes.