Zucchini Noodles With Mushroom Sauce and Peppered Sardines
Creamy and dreamy, this plateful of Zucchini Noodles With Mushroom Sauce and Peppered Sardines is full of hidden healthy things making it completely guilt free.
Ingredient for blender.
- 1 15.5 oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup milk
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 TBSP freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
Away from the blender.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, well-cleaned and sliced
- 1 TBSP tamari sauce you can substitute with soy sauce
- 1 3.75 oz King Oscar Cracked Black Pepper Brisling Sardines, drained
- 3 medium-sized zucchini, spiralized
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped optional
At the blender.
Drain and rinse cannellini beans in a colander under cool water and transfer to a blender. Add the milk, chopped garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, and two TBSP of olive oil. Season with approx. 1/4 tsp salt and a few cracks of black pepper. Blend until smooth and set aside.
Away from blender.
Spiralize the zucchini into noodles; set aside in a large bowl.
Heat 2 TBSP olive oil in a large skillet. Add the diced onions and sauté over medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms are tender and golden, about 5-7 minutes. Add the tamari (or soy sauce), the sardines, and the bean puree. With a spatula or large stirring spoon, roughly break the sardines down into small chunks. Bring to a bubbling simmer and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes, stirring often. The sauce should thicken to a rich and creamy consistency. Taste and season with s + p to your liking.
While the sauce simmers, toast the walnuts over medium-low heat in a dry pan until golden brown. This should only take a few minutes. Keep a close eye on them as they can burn up quickly. When done, set aside.
Finally, toss the zucchini noodles into the sauce. Plate, then garnish with toasted walnuts and fresh parsley.