Easy Poached Salmon Fillets in Tomato Wine Sauce
Salmon is poached in a bath of tomato sauce, red wine, and vegetable broth alongside kalamata olives and fresh basil for an easy yet elegant dinner.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 7 minutes
Total Time 18 minutes
- 2 6 oz fillets of salmon white fish like cod or haddock also work with this recipe
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 oz red onion, thinly sliced and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, drained
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, ribboned, + more for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over moderate heat. Add the tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes start to soften and blister.
Add the vegetable broth, tomato sauce, red wine, olives, basil, and finally, the fish fillets. Cover and simmer for 6-9 minutes, occasionally spooning sauce over the fillets to base them. If you have a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature at 6 minutes. You want the fish to have an internal temperature of 140 degrees F.
Sprinkle with an additional handful of chopped basil prior to serving, and serve over zucchini noodles, quinoa, or whatever you're into.