SunButter and Jam Hot Cocoa
This nut-free and allergen-friendly hot cocoa brings the essence of the PB&J sandwich to your mug of hot cocoa with SunButter (sunflower butter).
- 2 cups milk for extra richness, divide it as 1 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup cream
- 2 TBSP SunButter
- 2 TBSP your favorite fruit jam
- 4 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-4 TBSP unrefined sugar (start with less and add more to taste) I used coconut palm sugar; I encourage using unrefined sugar or a natural sweetener
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
- Extra SunButter and jam drizzled or plopped on top
Want to spike it?
- 1.5 oz marshmallow or caramel vodka per serving
Add 1 cup of milk, SunButter, and fruit jam to a blender and blend until cohesive. Blending ensures that your SunButter and jam are well incorporated into the mix and you won't end up with any chunks.
Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the cocoa, sugar, and salt, and whisk until all three have dissolved.
Whisk in the rest of the milk until well-blended and until the mixture it steamy and hot. Stir the vanilla in, and transfer the hot cocoa to mugs. (If you find the mixture too thick, simply whisk in more milk.)
Top with your favorites, like whipped cream and marshmallows, and drizzle with some SunButter and jam for extra goodness.