Mediterranean Mackerel Lettuce Wraps
These crisp Mediterranean Mackerel Lettuce Wraps are a wholesome option full of heart-healthy Omega-3 fatty acids.
These will fill you up and make you feel good.
Lettuce wraps are typically associated with low-carb eating and weight loss. But that’s not the goal with this recipe. These lettuce wraps are packed with light yet filling heart-healthy ingredients to satisfy your hunger without weighing you down. Crunchy bibb lettuce cups are filled with nutty brown rice, cucumbers, tomatoes, toasted almonds, and King Oscar’s Omega-3-rich Mediterranean mackerel. It’s the perfect way to dish up a wholesome lunch or fuel up with a mid-afternoon snack!
Why King Oscar Mackerel?
Simply put, any of King Oscar’s canned seafood is the best out there. Sure, that’s just my opinion, but it’s an honest, and I’d like to think educated, opinion. As a former pescatarian who’s tried her fair share of canned fish, I’m confident in where I stand. After all, there’s a reason I have such a fantastic working relationship with this brand! With King Oscar, you get great quality, fantastic ethics, and amazing people. Three things that are important to me no matter what I’m shopping for. But you’re here to hear about the taste, so let’s get to that. Every variation of King Oscar’s mackerel is packed in pure top-grade olive oil, giving it a buttery melt-in-your-mouth texture. And the flavors? They can’t be matched. The Mediterranean mackerel in particular is packed with pure olive oil, sliced olives, bell pepper, garlic, and herbs of Provence.
The fresh list of ingredients:
- Brown rice
- King Oscar Skinless and Boneless Mediterranean Style Mackerel Fillets
- Boston bibb lettuce
- Mini cucumbers
- Grape tomatoes
- Red onion
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Greek yogurt
- Garlic powder
- Italian herbs
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
The gist on making Mediterranean Mackerel Lettuce Wraps:
Cook your brown rice according to the directions on the package. While the rice cooks, drain the mackerel and transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl—from the cucumbers to the salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients with a fork, flaking the mackerel, until everything is well blended. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Once the rice is done, let it cool down until it’s just warm. Spoon some rice into a bibb lettuce cup, and top with the mackerel mixture. You can eat it as is, or you can top with hummus or tahini.
Recipe tips + tricks.
- Instead of using Greek yogurt, you could use tzatziki for extra oumph.
- If you can’t find King Oscar’s Mediterranean mackerel, their mackerel in extra virgin olive oil will do.
- You can swap out brown rice for other grains, like quinoa.
- Since the rice adds some weight to the wraps, use two lettuce cups per wrap for more stability.
- If you prefer to go without a creamy consistency, you can omit the use of Greek yogurt and spritz some fresh lemon juice over the mackerel and vegetables instead.
Other mackerel recipes you might like:
- Citrus Avocado and Mackerel Salad
- Spicy Baked Quesadillas with Jalapeño Mackerel
- Lemon Mackerel and White Bean Salad on Toast
- Sesame Ginger Rice Bowl with Mackerel
Hope you enjoy!
If you plan on making this recipe, be sure to snap a pic and tag us on Insta! @killing__thyme.
Get the Recipe:
Mediterranean Mackerel Lettuce Wraps
- 2 cans of King Oscar Skinless and Boneless Mediterranean Mackerel fillets, drained
- 1 head of Boston bibb lettuce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, You want to let it cool and serve it warm.
- 1 mini cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 TBSP plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried Italian herbs
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Cook the rice as per the instructions on the packaging. Let it cool to just warm once it's done.
- Drain the mackerel and transfer the contents of the can to a mixing bowl. Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, almonds, Greek yogurt, garlic powder, and herbs to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper. With a fork, gently mix the ingredients, flaking the mackerel in the process, until everything is well blended. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Spoon the warm rice into lettuce cups (doubling up on lettuce cups will offer more stability) and top each one with the mackerel mixture. You can enjoy as is, or serve with tahini or hummus.