North Atlantic mackerel is exceptional brain food, and this fresh lemon-y twist on a Caesar wrap makes it easy to consume on the regular.
This recipe is sponsored by King Oscar | Thanks for supporting the brands I love and trust.
Happy Wednesday! I hope everyone had a great Mother’s Day weekend, whether you got spoiled or took time to spoil yourself.
Today I’m coming at you with some lunch inspo. A recipe that not only promotes good health, but also encourages the consumption of brain food.
May is recognized as Mental Health Awareness Month. To give it a proper nod, The Splendid Table podcast recently hosted Dr. Drew Ramsey, a nutritional psychiatrist who researches the connection between food, brain function, and mental health. (He’s also a farmer!) I encourage giving it a listen if you dig food-related podcasts as much as I do. His take on nourishing the brain is really refreshing, because while he promotes the notion that some foods are exceptional for the brain, he doesn’t strike out evidence-based medicine in favor of pseudoscientific practices. (Which more and more people seem to be doing these days.)
So. What does this have to do with these lemon mackerel caesar wraps? Everything. Because King Oscar’s North Atlantic “scomber scrombus” mackerel is exceptional brain food, and the new lemon-y twist makes it easy to consume on the regular.
I fell hard for King Oscar’s mackerel a few years ago after making this Mediterranean protein wrap. This stuff has to be the most tender and flavorful canned seafood out there. And this year, they’ve added two new flavors to the family: jalapeño and lemon.
I knew they’d be good, but I was knocked off my feet when I finally got to taste just how good.
Goodbye chicken Caesar; hello Lemon Mackerel Caesar Wraps.
These refreshing wraps are slathered with Caesar dressing, then topped with crispy romaine or bibb lettuce, fresh parmesan shavings, lemon zest, cracked black pepper, and King Oscar’s Mackerel in Olive Oil with Lemon. The fresh, bright, and clean flavor will totally have you convinced that chicken needs to take a backseat. At least for a while. And if you’re avoiding carbs, you can turn this concept into a lemon mackerel Caesar salad.
If you can’t yet find KO’s Mackerel in Olive Oil and Lemon at your local supermarket, you can snag them on Amazon ;)
If you try this recipe or create your own variation, let me know in the comments! I love connecting with you. Then snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme to be featured in our newsletter.
Lemon Mackerel Caesar Wraps
- 1 wrap of your choice
- 1-2 TBSP Caesar dressing of your choice See notes for my homemade recipe
- 1 cup roughly chopped romaine or bibb lettuce
- 1 can of King Oscar's Mackerel in Olive Oil and Lemon, drained
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 TBSP freshly grated or shaved parmesan or pecorino romano
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice (from one lemon wedge)
- Place your wrap down on a flat surface. Spoon the dressing not in the middle, but closer to one side, leaving a 1-inch border between the spread and the edge of the wrap. Place the chopped lettuce over the dressing.
- Drain the can of mackerel and gently flake the mackerel with a fork. Spoon the mackerel over the lettuce, and top with lemon zest, cheese, cracked pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Fold in the two sides of the tortilla, and roll up like a burrito. (Sometimes your wrap packaging will have visual instructions). Slice in half, and enjoy!