From a belly-warming Cream of Broccoli Soup to a crisp Apple Pecan Farro Salad With Maple Vinaigrette. I’m taking you on a ride, I know. But even during soup season, sometimes all I crave is a monster-sized salad.
Though salads are associated with summer and fresh garden-to-table ingredients, winter salads can be just as satisfying! Plus, the cooler months offer up some awesome seasonal ingredients—like apples, beets, toasted nuts, squash, greens, and the like.
My love for bountiful salads isn’t new, but over the last two years, Panera has definitely kept me amped up. Their Ancient Grain, Arugula, and Chicken Salad, in particular. (I’m hooked and oh-so-bummed when they take it off the menu for the summer.) This salad is loosely inspired from that salad with the inclusion of crisp sweet apples and nutty nutrient-dense farro. But I definitely went my own way with this one.
Apple Pecan Farro Salad.
I love slices of tender roasted chicken in my salads, but sometimes it’s nice to lighten things up and keep it meatless. Farro, a type of hulled wheat, is a stellar alternative not only because it’s a great source of protein, but it’s also packed with fiber and iron; heart-healthy to the max!
Tossed into greens with crisp apples, toasted pecans, and pillowy goat cheese, you’ve got yourself a hearty meal or an elegant and exciting side. I like to use Gala apples (they’re my fave), but you can use any crisp juicy apples. AKA no “Red Delicious” apples because why do those dry and tasteless abominations exist. Additionally, if pecans aren’t your jam, go for walnuts, hazelnuts, or shaved almonds.
A lot of vinaigrettes would work with this mix, but this time of year, I’m a sucker for maple. Maybe it’s the French Canadian in me, I don’t know. But I grew up on legit maple syrup from Quebec, and my family brings me a supply of it every time they visit—so I like to make use of it.
This vinaigrette brings some Dijon mustard and apple cider vinegar to the mix as well, creating a delicious tangy drizzle for this sweet and savory salad.
If you make this dish, snap a photo and tag me on the Insta @killing__thyme! I love seeing your creations, and you could be featured in my monthly newsletter <3
Apple Pecan Farro Salad With Maple Vinaigrette
Apple Pecan and Farro Salad.
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2-3 handfuls of washed mixed greens
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans, toasted
- Crumbled goat cheese
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP pure maple syrup
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of Kosher salt, to taste
Apple Pecan and Farro Salad.
- Prepare your farro as per the instructions on the package. This can take up to 30 minutes. Feel free to make it in advance and refrigerate until it's time to use.
- Place your roughly chopped pecans into a dry pan over medium heat. Let them toast slightly, for about 5 minutes, stirring every so often to prevent any burning. Set aside.
- Place your washed greens into a large bowl. Top the greens with 1/4 cup of cooked farro, diced apples, and toasted pecans. Crumble some goat cheese on top, drizzle with maple vinaigrette, and enjoy.
- Whisk all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small bowl. Use what you wish, and set any leftovers aside in the fridge for future use.