The people have spoken.
Last week, I created a poll on Facebook and Instagram regarding what kind of shrimp recipe to offer up next: something light, or something saucy from the Instant Pot. The results, which were split right down the middle, left me scratching my head. (Or maybe my scalp isn’t agreeing with that new dry shampoo?)
At first I wanted to give myself the ol’ facepalm in a fit of frustration, but then I realized that my readership as a whole is extremely fitting to me and my lifestyle—it’s balanced.
This made me smile.
So, I decided to please both sides of the poll by creating one of each recipe.
This week, I’m bringing this Shrimp Fajita Salad With Chipotle Vinaigrette to the table. And it is goo-ood.
Next week, I’m hoping to succeed at creating one hell of an Instant Pot recipe with shrimp to satisfy the other side of the poll.
I got you, fam ♡
Shrimp Fajita Salad.
Tangy red onions, crisp bell peppers, juicy tomatoes, perfectly seasoned shrimp… this recipe brings everything you love about fajitas to your bowl of salad for a healthy and substantial meal option, whether it be lunch or dinner.
If you aren’t following a strict pescetarian diet, feel free to substitute the shrimp for chicken. You could also toss in some crunchy seasoned chipotle chickpeas and save any leftovers for this bomb taco grain bowl or these vegetarian tacos.
The vinaigrette is also optional, technically. In my mind it’s a necessity, but you can use any salad dressing you damn well please.
(But seriously. Make this one.)
This dressing blends the smokiness from chipotle hot sauce and the sweetness from pure maple syrup to give you a flavor-packed dressing you’ll want to drizzle over everything.
It’s inspired by a tostada salad that I love digging into at a local bar and grill. The more I mowed down that salad, the more I felt I needed to crack the code on that dressing.
I’m not pompous enough to say I nailed it, but I think I got pretty damn close.
This would also act as a fab dressing for my Southwestern Sweet Potato Quinoa Burger.
Making this recipe? Snap a pic and tag me on Instagram: @Killing__Thyme. I love seeing your creations ♡
Shrimp Fajita Salad With Chipotle Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1-2 TBSP Chipotle hot sauce adjust to your taste and heat preference
- 1 TBSP water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder can substitute for chili powder and/or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP minced fresh parsley
- Juice of half a lime
Shrimp Fajita Salad.
- 10 raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 cups leafy greens; I used baby spinach
- 1 oz thickly sliced red onion
- 2 oz thickly sliced bell peppers, aim for the same thickness as the onions—about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2-1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander optional
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- Shredded cheese
- A couple of grape tomatoes, sliced
- Tortilla strips optional
- Spritz of fresh lime juice optional
- Place all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette into a blender and blend until smooth. If not using a blender, you can add everything to a bowl and whisk it thoroughly until everything is blended.
Shrimp Fajita Salad.
- Place the onions, peppers, and cleaned shrimp in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and add the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, ground coriander (if using), and salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Heat a skillet over moderate heat. Add the peppers and onions; leave the shrimp out for now since they don't take as long to cook.
- Sauté the peppers and onions for about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and sauté everything for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prep your salad bowl by adding the spinach, grape tomatoes, cheese, and crunchy tortilla strips. Top the salad with the warm shrimp and veggies, and drizzle chipotle dressing over it. Toss to combine, give it a spritz of lime juice, and dig in!