SunButter and Jam Hot Cocoa
This post is sponsored by SunButter | Opinions are my own
Today is National Cocoa Day, so a decadent mug of the good stuff is obviously in order.
And of course, I was extra about it. This steamy cocoa goes above and beyond the usual handful of marshmallows and the tower of whipped cream by bringing the essence of a PB&J sandwich to the mix — but *nut-free*, thanks to SunButter‘s rich and creamy sunflower butter.
I was lucky enough to grow up without any food allergies — and with how much I *love* food, I thank my lucky stars for that. (Like, every day.)
But today, more and more people are finding themselves with food allergies and sensitivities which inevitably leaves them feeling deprived of the things they once loved.
Thankfully there are ample companies out there that are determined to ensure nobody misses out.
SunButter is one of them.
SunButter is free of the top eight food allergens!
If you’re allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, soy, dairy, eggs, wheat, fish, or crustacean shellfish, you can confidentaly slather SunButter over ALL the things. This creamy and dreamy butter is made up of sunflower seeds and can be enjoyed with fruits and veggies, it can make up a bomb SB&J sandwich, and it lends itself well in desserts. You can also enjoy it on it’s own, you know, like right off the spoon.
(I regret nothing.)
But SunButter isn’t just a good option for folks with allergies. It’s delicious enough for anyone to enjoy, and it packs a healthy punch with just as much protein, magnesium, Vitamin E, zinc, and iron as your usual nut butters — like peanut butter and almond butter.
It also contains less saturated fat. Aww yissss.
So when the weather outside is frightful, yadda yadda, grab a mug and fill it with this delicious SB&J cocoa.
SunButter is available at major grocery chains, specialty food stores, and even schools throughout the U.S.! Check out their store locator here.
If you make this recipe, please snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @killing__thyme! I love hearing from you <3
Get the Recipe:
SunButter and Jam Hot Cocoa
- 2 cups milk, for extra richness, divide it as 1 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup cream
- 2 TBSP SunButter
- 2 TBSP your favorite fruit jam
- 4 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-4 TBSP unrefined sugar (start with less and add more to taste), I used coconut palm sugar; I encourage using unrefined sugar or a natural sweetener
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
- Extra SunButter and jam drizzled or plopped on top
Want to spike it?
- 1.5 oz marshmallow or caramel vodka per serving
- Add 1 cup of milk, SunButter, and fruit jam to a blender and blend until cohesive. Blending ensures that your SunButter and jam are well incorporated into the mix and you won't end up with any chunks.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the cocoa, sugar, and salt, and whisk until all three have dissolved.
- Whisk in the rest of the milk until well-blended and until the mixture it steamy and hot. Stir the vanilla in, and transfer the hot cocoa to mugs. (If you find the mixture too thick, simply whisk in more milk.)
- Top with your favorites, like whipped cream and marshmallows, and drizzle with some SunButter and jam for extra goodness.