Vegan “Chicken” Fajita Pizza
THIS RECIPE IS SPONSORED BY DAIYA | OPINIONS ARE MY OWN
Find a cheesy giveaway at the bottom of this post!
If you’re a regular at Killing Thyme, by this point you’re aware that October is National Seafood Month. However, on top of that, it’s also National Pizza Month (what!) and I’m incredibly stoked to take a wee break from seafood to bring you this impressively melty dairy-free Vegan “Chicken” Fajita Pizza that, to say the least, blew my pescetarian socks off.
First, let’s just acknowledge the fact that pizza is universally loved; pizza. is. everything. We order it to cure the blues and we order it to celebrate successes; you just can’t beat carbs topped with tangy tomato sauce and stretchy cheese.
Unfortunately due to dietary restrictions and food allergies, some folks out there don’t get to enjoy that indulgence.
Until now — because these ooey gooey Mozzarella Style Shreds from Daiya are dairy-free, plant-based, and daaaaaamn delicious.
You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy vegan cheese.
I’ve encountered a few pescetarians over the past year who, like me, have vegan curiosities. For one, a lot of the pescetarian diet comprises vegetarian meals, and second, there’s just something fascinating about how folks have managed to create plant-based meat and dairy substitutes that come *so* close to the real thing.
This glorious mozzarella-style cheese is one of them.
Furthermore, those with sensitivities to dairy have been missing out for a long time due to lack of quality substitutions, and that’s just not fair. What kind of life is a life with no pizza? A life no one should have to live.
Daiya is cheesier than ever!
As the leading maker of plant-based food, Daiya is renowned for its scrumptious cheesy pizzas — all which are free of dairy, animal products, gluten, soy, and GMOs. Further to that, they don’t contain any cholesterol, trans fats, or preservatives. (Score.)
Along with Mozzarella Style Shreds, Daiya’s new line of cheeses from their Cutting Board Shreds Collection offers Cheddar Style and Pepperjack Style making them perfect for nachos, tacos, queso dips and, of course, pizza.
Vegan “Chicken” Fajita Pizza
This plant-based recipe passes every important pizza test: the fresh-out-of-the-oven test, the cold pizza test, the reheated pizza test, and the meat-eating husband test.
With a zesty salsa base, this pie is topped with a blend of fajita seasoned vegan “chicken”, red bell peppers, onions, and Daiya’s delicious Mozzarella Style Shreds.
AND IT’S SO GOOD!
And, if you’re pressed for time, Daiya also has a variety of frozen pizzas you can just pop in the oven!
TO ENTER: Comment below and tell me about the most impressive plant-based substitute or meal you’ve ever sunken your teeth into, and we’ll send you a handful of coupons for frozen Daiya pizzas!
RULES: You must be at least 18 years old and you must be willing to provide a shipping address. (No PO Boxes.)
One winner will be chosen on Friday, October 13th.
Not sure if Daiya products are available near you? Find out here.
Making this recipe? Snap a pic and tag me on Instagram: @Killing__Thyme /#killingthyme. For more delish eats, follow me on INSTAGRAM + PINTEREST.
Get the Recipe:
Vegan "Chicken" Fajita Pizza
- 1 vegan pizza pie shell or your own homemade dough, (most recipes + store-bought shells are vegan, but always check the ingredients.)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (add more to adjust heat to your liking)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1/2 white onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 red bell pepper, gutted and sliced thin
- 8 oz vegan "chicken", You can find plant-based chicken substitutes in the vegan section of most grocery stores
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp homemade fajita seasoning
- 1 package of Daiya's Mozzarella Cutting Board Shreds
- Freshly chopped parsley or cilantro
- Pre-heat oven according to the directions on the packaging of the pie shell you are using.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices for your fajita seasoning. Blend well, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the onions, bell pepper, and vegan "chicken". Add 1 TBSP olive oil and 2 tsp of the fajita seasoning; toss until everything is evenly coated. Set aside.
- Brush the pie shell with 1 TBSP olive oil. Then, evenly spread 1/2 cup of the salsa over the pie shell. Once the salsa has evenly spread out, transfer the onion, pepper, and "chicken" mixture over the pizza, distributing it evenly over the shell. Finally, evenly scatter the cheese over the pizza.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust starts to turn golden brown and the cheese is nice and melty.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley or cilantro, if desired.