Food/ How-To/ Sauces, Dressings + Spice Blends

Homemade Ketchup

This recipe has taught me two things:

1. homemade ketchup tastes much better than store-bought, and
  2. homemade ketchup offends a lot of people.

Ketchup is a very personal thing; who knew?

Within less than a week of making this good stuff, I stumbled upon not one, but TWO circulating articles listing “things that are better store-bought than homemade”. Lo and behold, ketchup was on both of these lists and I, stuck in my fit of excitement over my latest creation, was shocked.

This homemade ketchup is much less of a sugar bomb than store-bought. It’s savory and tart; the addition of pure honey gives it just the right amount of sweetness and a whirl of Worcestershire sauce deepens the flavor.

The only drawback is that — unless you have an abundance of grape tomatoes to pluck from your garden — homemade ketchup isn’t exactly cost-effective. A bottle from off the shelf is a fraction of the cost of two pints of grape tomatoes and you get way more out of your bottle; this recipe only leaves you with approx. 1 cup.

Cue: sad trumpet sound.

But to me, this recipes is still totally worth sharing. If you’re growing grape tomatoes or find pints on sale, I encourage you to whip this up and *definitely* let me know what side of the fence you stand on: store-bought, or homemade?

Making this recipe? Snap a pic and tag me on Instagram: @Killing__Thyme /#killingthyme. For more delish eats, follow me on INSTAGRAM + PINTEREST.

Homemade Ketchup

Sweetened with just a bit of pure honey, this Homemade Ketchup is smooth, savory, tangy, and oh-so-tasty.

Author Killing Thyme

• 2 pints ripe grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup pure honey
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp cracked black pepper
  • 1 whole clove
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1. Add all of the ingredients from the tomatoes through to the whole clove to a medium saucepan. (Save the Worcestershire sauce for the end.)

2. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for approx. 25-30 minutes until the mixture has thickened up a bit. With a slotted spoon, remove the clove and discard.

3. With an immersion blender, blend until smooth. If using a blender, carefully transfer half of the mixture to the blender container (be careful blending hot liquids) and blend in batches until smooth.

4. Drain the mixture through a sieve into a heat-safe container. For an even smoother consistency, run through the sieve a second time (recommended).

5. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, and chill before serving.

Cassie | Crumb Kitchen
    October 7, 2017 at 6:33 pm Dana, I just made your ketchup to go with homemade chicken fingers and it was MIND-BLOWING. The flavour was so complex and tomato-y, not white sugar and vinegar tasting like the bottled stuff. I was going to use your fish finger recipe too but my grocery store was all out of cod, so next time I make your ketchup, I'll do those too!
      October 9, 2017 at 5:45 pm Thanks so much for the awesome feedback! I'm glad you loved it! You really nail it in the description. My husband is picky with condiments too, haha. So, when he approved it, I knew it was a winner. I'm glad it was the same case in your house ;) I hope you love the fish sticks!
    Elaine @ Flavour and Savour
    September 29, 2017 at 10:39 am I'm impressed. Totally impressed. I'll bet the flavour is out of this world! Pinned! Great way to use up garden tomatoes, I'm sure.
      October 9, 2017 at 5:43 pm Thanks, Elaine! I was really blown away with this one. Now I'm craving it all over again. Haha.
    Alexandra | Occasionally Eggs
    September 27, 2017 at 2:52 pm It's a perfect way to use garden tomatoes! I've stopped eating ketchup for a couple of years now because of the high sugar content. I wanted to make some this year but it was so cold and rainy, there weren't any local tomatoes! Saving this for next year :)
      October 9, 2017 at 5:43 pm Come back next year and let me know what you think!
    sugarlovespices
    September 24, 2017 at 10:53 am I believe that whenever possible, homemade is much better, and this ketchup is included in my list ;-) ! What a vibrant color and smooth texture! I love the honey giving some sweetness and the Worcestershire a deeper flavor.
      October 9, 2017 at 5:42 pm I agree. There may be some things better off left store-bought, but I've yet to make something myself that I didn't like better! Except potato chips, of course. Ha.
    thefoodblognet
    September 22, 2017 at 2:52 pm I've always wanted to make my own ketchup, just haven't got around to it. This looks so easy and I have a s*load of grape tomatoes to pick. Now I know what to do with them. Thanks for the inspo, Dana!
      October 9, 2017 at 5:41 pm I'm glad you're into making this! I hope you love it as much as I do!
    Nicole
    September 22, 2017 at 11:45 am Ha, I love your intro! I was completely unaware people were so passionate about store bought ketchup. Yours looks excellent! Those are the kind of ingredients I want in my ketchup.
      September 22, 2017 at 11:56 am Haha, thanks Nicole! I wasn't aware either. But I'm with you. All that sugar isn't needed — the 1/4 cup of honey really does the trick in this recipe. It has just the right amount of sweetness!
    Gabrielle @ eyecandypopper
    September 22, 2017 at 9:36 am Heck yes!!! I've never made my own ketchup, but I totally want to try! Sounds easy enough and I'm sure it's packed with flavour! Yum!
      September 22, 2017 at 9:39 am Girrrrl. It's SO MUCH BETTER. Try it and let me know what you think. I've yet to actually use it on things I'd use ketchup on, like a burger or fries, because it didn't last. I kept dipping crackers or chips into it.
    Homemade Crispy Baked Fish Sticks - Killing Thyme
    September 18, 2017 at 8:13 pm […] to that some homemade ketchup for dippin’ and you’re in for a REAL […]